Thank You Photochick!!!

• Hey photochick. lol we've never met. And I mostly just lurk but you've given out some good advice lately... the 'dont let people treat you like crap' stuff has really stuck in my mind. I LOVE the line you've got 'do you realize you just said that outloud?'. Some day I'll have the composure to do that without thinking.

BUT today. I sorta did I recently resigned from my job. Today was my last day and I'll be 'switching to the dark side' and joining local city hall despite working in economic development for a couple years.

My stud of a boss brought me into this office during the lunch hour - when the witnesses were gone and tore several strips off me for my 'attitude' and chip on my shoulder (both of which I dont deny... the guy has been giving me the run around about health insurance for months and I have MS).

Things quickly deteriorated when he caught me smirking. I didnt respect him to begin with and the predictable manner in which he was responding to me just supported my judgement.

He started insulting my work in the organization and spoke to how I had been 'babied' because I sought his direction for my projects. Then it stooped lower and he went after my professional abilities saying I would be an UTTER FAILURE at my new job. He said I wouldnt be able to handle it along with a few other negative things about the way I behaved (the behavior I wont deny.. I'm not happy with the guy).

Photochicks your wise words stuck in my head. When my boss finished ranting and insulting my character he asked if that would be all for me. At this point I pointed out that his words about my new job were completly inaccurate and he had no reason to say such spiteful things. The whole thing ended in a, abeit totally insincere, apology and butt sucking about how great I would be.

thanks (I shouldnt let anybody treat me that poorly... about my weight OR my professional career) I may not have had the best attitude but I would NEVER stoop to insulting a person's performance at a professional position they havent even begun,
  • Val, please accept my applause. You handled that brilliantly!
  • Wow. I'm humbled.

Val that rocks and I"m soooo glad that you were able to turn the situation around. Good for you!!!

Bravo! Bravissimo!

• Val,

Congrats on how fantastically you handled the situation! And on the new job...you may find you can do as much good inside the system as you have done on the outside...with better benefits.
  • Way to stick up for yourself!!!!
  • Let me add my kudos to the Photochick fan club. I have gotten great advice as well!

Congrats on the way you handled the situation Val. Also...for paying the help you recieve forward. You were the one who came throiugh with the common sense I needed in the beginning when I was having a hard time staying on track. You pointed me to the monthly point challenge and that accountability turned the corner for me.

So you Go Val! Good luck in the new job!
  • Congratulations on a new job! When do you start?
  • thanks for the support ladies! I just figured since Photochick's words inspired me to act calmly and stand up for myself in absurdity I should remind us all to do the same! It makes me so mad now when people assume they can treat me as an inferior.

I'm glad the group challenges helped you djay. They helped me turn a similar corner last Christmas. If I can give a tiny little bit back to 3FC I will do it - this place has changed my life!

I start at city hall on the 29th and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Once I return from a quick vacation in LA and weekend cruise to Mexico. Because I deserve a break
  • w00t! Good for you -- he was probably expecting you to feel so hurt or embarassed that you'd slink off, burned by his words, your confidence for your new job utterly destroyed.

Way to stand up for yourself! ::high five::
  • Ha! Funny that you should make this thread, because just yesterday I was reading some posts and I remember something that PhotoChick said really stuck out to me! Of course I don't remember what it was now, LOL, but I guess that makes me another member of the PhotoChick fan club.

Millions of kudos to you, Val, for handling the situation with some maturity--which is certainly more than can be said about your ex-boss. It sounds like you really sent him away with his tail between his legs, hehe. Hopefully he will think twice next time he feels like berating an employee in such a tasteless way... But if not, at least next time, that employee won't be you! And you will never let yourself be treated that way again! Yea! I am very impressed.
  • Awww I feel the love
  • Wow you guys. I'm all giggly and blushy.

Thank you so much. I'm really just liking being able to give back all the support and wise words that the women here gave to me.

Everyone here is wonderful!

• Good for you. Even if you were the worst employee ever (hypothetically of course) , no boss should ever say what yours said. He was way out of line and it's probably for the best that you don't have to work with him in the future. Best of luck at the new job.