I did it! Surfing!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So a looooong time ago (in 2006) I tried to take a surf class at my community college (got to love living in Cali) and after the first class I had to drop it because of schedule conflicts. I never got in the water.

A couple weekends ago, a friend of mine who is a surfer offered to teach me how to surf. The bad news is that I never got to standing on the board but I did get up on all fours. The good news is that I had a fantastic time and it wore my butt out!

I thought you'd enjoy the pics from that day... Oh yes, hot bathing suit pics..

The waves were beautiful that day. They told swimmers to stay out of the water because of the "flash riptides" and I looked at my friend like, "Are you serious?" and she assured me that we would be fine.

This is after about a million wipe-outs and I'm trying (really hard) to stand on the board.

Anyway - hope y'all consider trying surfing. Except for the water up the nose, it was a ridiculous amount of fun.
  • Good job Jessica! Looks like you had fun!

Surfing is something I never had an interest in despite growing up where surfing was popular.
  • Wonderful!

You did it...it's terrific when you get to fulfill a dream. Excellent!
  • What fun!! GJ, you are the queen, excuse me, goddess of adventure! You are quite the inspiration for us all because you never hesitate to try something new and different.
  • Yay!! Well done! I love surfing!!!! It was one of my reasons to lose weight I wanted to be fit and healthy and have more strength to be able to surf. I have only been a few times. The first time I didn't get up, the second time I got to my feet but immediately tumbled off or sprinted off the end of the board. The most recent time I got up on my feet for most waves, only stayed up for a few seconds. I hope to go in two weeks and I am hoping for a little more "up-time".

It is sooooo much fun. There are usually a few of us that have no idea what we are doing, it is hilarious.

Now I am all fired up to go again!
  • I'm so jealous! It looks so beautiful there. Congratulations on giving it another try. Sometimes I think it is harder to return to something you've tried before than to try something completely new. Make sense?
  • I think you're so cool!
  • Looks like a good time!!
  • There is not much surfing to be had here in eastern Tennessee, but it's been on my list of things I want to try when the opportunity arises. Someday I will plan a vacation around that particular goal! Anyway, congratulations! It looks like you had a fabulous day.
  • First the rock climbing.. now surfing...You are my hero!
  • Don't forget, she is the queen of the tri.

I've just started training to do a tri (or part of a relay team).
  • That looks like so much fun. Hooray for you, can't wait to see pic's of you standing on that board! You'll do it, I'm sure!
  • Jessica - I love reading & seeing your adventures! That sounds like so much fun I'm glad you had a great time!
  • She did rock climbing too? Ohh Im jealous!!!

Congrats, looks like a blast, both are two things I am dying to try too.
  • Oh fun! Love you and your adventures. I've always wanted to surf, but I don't think the Mississippi makes for a surfing good time.