Issues boiling water at high altitude!

• Okay, so DH and I just moved from sea level to 5,000 feet. Water takes so long to boil up here! As in, it takes almost a half an hour if it's out of the filter in the fridge (20 mins room temp.) That can really irk when you need your coffee asap (we do the French press thing.)

So, we are looking to get an electric tea kettle. I've read a lot of reviews on line, but it's all somewhat confusing. Any recommendations? My only requirement, other then heating water fast, is that it be stainless steel and not plastic. So, chicks, what are your favorite brands of electric kettles?
  • This is the one I have:
    http://www.shopping.com/xGS-red_electric_tea_kettle

It's from Black and Decker, cordless, stainless steel, and at least where I bought mine I could pick from different colors (so mine is red instead of steel colored, it makes me happy). I have had it for about a year with no issues - and no other kettle I've had has lasted past the 3 month mark. Of course, this is the first stainless steel kettle I've bought, the others have been plastic and ended up cracking.

30 minutes is too long to wait for coffee. I'd start searching for large rocks to hit things with around the 10 minute mark
  • Hi Zenor! I just realized I never answered your question about altering recipes for altitude. My answer is that I don't--and I haven't noticed a difference. I don't boil water for coffee but I do for other stuff and if I cover the pot it boils pretty quickly for me.
  • Double what midwife said- throw a lid on it and it will boil much faster. I don't have an electric tea kettle, but just a regular stainless steel pot and I notice that water boils faster in that than anything else.

Welcome to elevation!
  • Maybe it's my stove. Lol. When I make pasta it takes forever for a covered pot to boil. I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the welcome junebug!

Midwife~ I haven't been tweaking things too much and they've been fine. I haven't tried making a cake, but then that's rare anyway. BTW, I'm already addicted to green chile. We like it here.