still in a rut

• I've been gaining and no losing for the past year now, so depressing. I have posted on here a few time since that i'm getting back to business but still haven't actually walked the walk. I know I need to and I want to say that this is it i'm back on but am afraid i'll won't fight the cravings again and never make it past 2 days. So, this is my i'm going to try again post and wish me luck cause I need it plea.
  • Hi halo, good to see you back. It isn't over as long as you haven't given up dear. Sometimes I think it takes a few tries. I'm sure this is the one that will stick. What are your big challenges/obstacles? C'mon, tell the chicks, I'm sure we can help.
  • Welcome back and good luck. I found that checking in here daily has been the biggest motivator. It helps to see others success and struggles (knowing you aren't in this alone). We all have had our bumps in the road but picking ourselves up and dusting ourselves off and running that race again is the most important thing of all. You can do this! We are here for you!
  • as long as you continue to try you haven't failed - keep your head up and keep at it. let us help any way we can
  • Thanks everyone, its nice to be welcome back.

My challenges..hmmmm I have a hard time getting through the snacking grazing that everyone does at work. Our group has a huge snack drawer that I visit way to frequently. I think if I were to stop pitching in for it I wouldn't but then there are the vending machines to contend with. I do try my best to go to work prepared with enough on plan foods but I always manage to convince myself to eat garbage for no good reason. I also have a hard time forgiving myself for a set back and moving on, instead I use it as an excuse to eat more of what I shouldn't be because I already screwed up might as well. (I know thats not the right way to think but thats what I do)
  • Welcome back, Halo, and the others are right. If you haven't given up, you haven't failed. In order to succeed in any weight-loss plan, you have to just make up your mind that you are going to DO IT. It helps to purge your kitchen of any non-friendly foods, and restock your kitchen with foods you can have. Take a day to plan out your menus ahead of time, and try to cook some meals ahead of time to keep in the freezer. If that doesn't work for you, when you are cooking, cook extra for either leftovers for freezing. That way, when you are hungry with no time to cook, you'll always have something easy on hand. Motivation and will-power are the keys to success, and coming here to post and chat with us will help keep you on track. We're here to give you all the support and encouragement you need. Good luck!
  • Good luck & welcome back Halo! Check in here often. It really helps. Everyone here is so knowledgeable and supportive.
  • Quote: I think if I were to stop pitching in for it I wouldn't but then there are the vending machines to contend with.

I do try my best to go to work prepared with enough on plan foods

I also have a hard time forgiving myself for a set back and moving on, instead I use it as an excuse to eat more of what I shouldn't be because I already screwed up might as well.
    Welcome back.

Vending machines - clear the change and small bills out of your wallet. Leave them at home or make them inconvenient and hard to get to. Or identify a specific purpose for change - set it aside for a holiday, a goal award, a charity. If you spend it in a vending machine, you're taking it away from your goal. And if pitching in for it means that you're paying money toward keeping snacks on hand, set that money aside for your goal as well.

Enough on plan foods - I try to always have at least two more snacks on hand than I plan to eat. That way I always have choices and I never feel like I'm out of on plan food.

There's a different mind set to shift into where what you've already eaten is history, but the very next bite is a choice. There was an interesting discussion about how all through the process of putting a food in your cart, preparing it and eating it, you have opportunities to undo that choice and make a better choice. (I can't find it quickly, but if I do find it, I'll edit this to include the link.) So even if you've eaten half of something off plan, you can decide at that moment to choose not to eat the rest. A setback is just a setback. It doesn't have to be an excuse for future behavior.
  • Ok, this is how I did it. The teacher's lounge at school was a constant barrage of treats, birthday cakes etc. I just told myself that that stuff is poison. pure poison. If you take a good hard look at the people that are eating that junk, what do you see? Do they look healthy? How does their skin look? bright and clear or dull? Do they look good in their clothes? probably not.

It took a mental game with myself of thinking "I'm better than that". These people are going to keel over from heart attacks, get diabetes etc. And I will NOT do that. When you go out anywhere there is food, take a good look around you at the people chowing down on great globs of disgusting fatty/sugar ridden food. What do the bulk of them look like? Healthy? nope. Do they really look like they are enjoying the food, or like they are at the trough? Just loading up on stuff that is eventually going to kill them. After a while "other people treats" will look revolting to you. Vending machines now make me ill just looking at them. (oh, and I used to be a junkie for cheese crackers and m&m's!! When we had cakes at school, I'd always take a second piece for "later" and consume it before later ever got there.)

Then in a while, people will start telling you how good you look and you will FEEL it. It sounds "snobby", but you will really begin to feel "superior" and "above" putting junk in your mouth.

Bring healthy treats to work with you. Fix them in an attractive way. It is true that presentation is everything...the eye is most of what makes food appealing. When people ooo and ahh over your stuff, you'll feel great about having something better than what they have. it works.

The other day I was standing in the hall during recess talking to another teacher and she said "I've been meaning to tell you, you have such beautiful skin" I have NEVER had beautiful skin. and that one compliment made passing up the junk worth it. She had no idea how much that meant to me. I also now get to wear cute clothes and feel great in them and still surprise myself when I see myself in a mirror. Hot dog!!!!

I think it is 99% mental mind set. Just be a "food snob" and there you go!!!
  • There are some great tips here. I'm going to save these for when I'm back in an office setting - next year probably. Being a telecommuter sure does help with this!
  • Good luck to you.

sadly sometimes we have to just rely on willpower.

at 25 pounds overweight I thought i was ok

and i know at 54 pounds overweight I did not want it badly enough.

at 75 pounds overweight I did not want it badly enough.

when did i want it badly enough?

when 300 pounds of me got winded turning over in bed.

folks can give you suggestions and ideas up the ying yang...

truth is for anyone the motivation has to be internal.

until you want it badly enough you won't do it.

and to be honest, that's OK.
  • Quote: If you take a good hard look at the people that are eating that junk, what do you see? Do they look healthy? How does their skin look? bright and clear or dull? Do they look good in their clothes? probably not.

It took a mental game with myself of thinking "I'm better than that". These people are going to keel over from heart attacks, get diabetes etc. And I will NOT do that. When you go out anywhere there is food, take a good look around you at the people chowing down on great globs of disgusting fatty/sugar ridden food. What do the bulk of them look like? Healthy? nope. Do they really look like they are enjoying the food, or like they are at the trough? Just loading up on stuff that is eventually going to kill them. After a while "other people treats" will look revolting to you.

Then in a while, people will start telling you how good you look and you will FEEL it. It sounds "snobby", but you will really begin to feel "superior" and "above" putting junk in your mouth.

I think it is 99% mental mind set. Just be a "food snob" and there you go!!!
    I see this constantly at work. I use this mindset every day. I know some of my co-workers think I'm nuts or "eat weird" or can't enjoy treats, but I know I enjoy feeling in control, knowing I am healthy and loving how I look now. I also get a lot of compliments. Just the other day, a gal at work came up to me and said, "I want to lose weight and look just like you." That only reinforces my desire to stay on South Beach.