Skillet Eggplant Lasagna

• I was in the mood for eggplant lasagna, but it is hot and I didn't want to do all that prep and mess up all those dishes, so I did this quick stovetop version. Turned out very yummy! Mine was meatless but you could easily add ground beef or turkey or veggie crumbles. I also skipped the noodles (and didn't miss them a bit) but you could add about 8 oz ww noodles if you like, when you add the spaghetti sauce. If you do, be sure and add a cup of water to the pan and let simmer long enough to cook the noodles. Of course, this will make it a Ph2 dish.

1 T olive oil
    2 smallish eggplants, diced
    1 green pepper, diced
    1 onion, diced
    1 zucchinni, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 jar NSA spaghetti sauce, 18 oz
    1 cup lowfat or nonfat cottage cheese, drained
    1/2 cup lowfat mozzarella, grated
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    Fresh basil leaves

Warm olive oil over medium heat in large skillet and add eggplant. Saute until it begins to brown. Add remaining veggies, and continue to saute until onion begins to become translucent. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer gently 5 minutes. Add cottage cheese and continue to simmer 5 minutes more. With canned sauce, I don't add additional salt, but season as desired and by all means throw in any additional Italian seasoning you like. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over top of veggie mixture and put lid on skillet. At this point you can turn off the burner, and let sit until cheese is melted.
    Tear up some fresh basil leaves, sprinkle over top and serve!
    Serves 4

Ricotta can be used in place of the cottage cheese.
  • Thanks - I have had 3 skinny eggplants sitting on my counter for a few days, so I made this! Yum!
  • Quote: Mine was meatless but you could easily add ground beef or turkey or veggie crumbles. I also skipped the noodles (and didn't miss them a bit) but you could add about 8 oz ww noodles if you like, when you add the spaghetti sauce.
    I'm trying this tonight. It's so easy to tweak recipes once you get the hang of it. I'm not adding the noodles tonight, either.

Thanks Schmoodle!
  • coz I'm having a blonde day how do you drain cottage cheese?
  • It was great! No green pepper - we were out, but even the leftovers were delicious the next day - and best - only one pot to wash!
  • do you need to salt the eggplant for a while like you do for the baked version?
  • I'm sorry faith, I never saw your question until now. I rarely salt eggplant unless I think I've got an old one or it's very large. I just don't think it makes that much difference. But if you would ordinarily salt eggplant before cooking, you certainly can, and then just adjust salt in the dish.
  • I remembered this recipe when I was planning my week. Perfect for my lasagna craving.
  • I love refinding old recipes . This one is still a winner and pretty fast and easy after a long work day