Stevia or Erythritol?

• I'm a fan of Dr. Weil and ran across a question someone sent in on the safety of Stevia. I copy/pasted some of his answer and yes Stevia is safe according to Dr. Weil. But he doesn't like the bitter after taste of Stevia and prefers Erythritol. I placed an order for it after googling it, today it arrived and it's really delicious. It tastes just like sugar, no after taste and has similar texture to sugar. I was curious if anyone else has tried it. If you're already a user and cooked/baked with it, please let me know how your foods turned out. Below is part of the articles from Dr. Weil and the company I ordered it from:
    Taken from Dr. Weil web site
    Personally, I don't care for the taste of stevia, and I don't like the flavor it imparts to foods and beverages, but I consider it safer than aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose and have seen no compelling evidence that stevia poses a threat to human health.
    Erthyritol has a clean, sweet taste. I've found that it’s more similar in taste to sugar than other natural sweeteners such as stevia (which can be bitter).
    From XylitolNow company I order it from:
    Erythritol is a Safe, natural sweetener
    • Healthy sugar substitute
    • Virtually zero calories
    • Great taste, no aftertaste
    • 70% as sweet as sugar
    • Does not promote tooth decay
    • Safe for diabetics
    • Mixes well with other ingredients
    • Can cook with it (heat stable)
    • High digestive tolerance
    (NO gas, bloating, or diarea
    Erthyritol has a clean, sweet taste. I've found that it’s more similar in taste to sugar than other natural sweeteners such as stevia (which can be bitter).
  • Now that it's been a few weeks what do you think of the erythritol? I've been trying it and like it a lot. It is less sweet than sugar though so could get expensive if you use it a lot. I'm still waiting for cool weather to try baking with it, my main reason for wanting it.
  • Cyn...love it, love it, love it! We're of one mind, I too am waiting for cooler weather to try baking with it. It doesn't make sense to run the air conditioner and heat up the oven at the same time. It is expensive, so far I've just used it on my breakfast cereal and it's going fast. I placed another order from a company called Z sweet organic so I'll have enough to bake with. The last time I purchased bulk baking Splenda, it was very pricey too. Lets me know what you make, I'm thinking I'll try it on a very good zucchini bread recipe I've been making for DH using regular sugar. I'll post the recipe below.
    Quote:
    It is less sweet than sugar though so could get expensive if you use it a lot. I'm still waiting for cool weather to try baking with it, my main reason for wanting it.
    I'll print the original recipe and in quotes the exchange:
    Chocolate Wave Zucchini Bread
    1/3 cup shortening (1/3 cup applesauce)
    1 & 1/3 cup white sugar (Splenda or erythritol/z sweetner)
    2 eggs (4 egg whites or egg beaters)
    1 & 1/2 cup zucchini (I used 2 cups when making for DH)
    1/3 water
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 & 2/3 cup all purpose flour (I used part whole wheat flour)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts (leave out if counting calories)
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (leave out for lower calories)
    I made this for a family reunion and left out the walnuts because some people are allergic to them, DH said it's just as good without them.
    • Preheat oven to 350, grease one 9 x 5 loaf pan.
    • In large bowl, cream shortening (orApple sauce) and sugar together. Mix in eggs.
    • Add zucchini, water and vanilla; stir.
    • Blend in flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice. Stir in nuts.
    • Divide batter in half, add cocoa powder and chips (if using) to 1/2 batter. Pour plain batter into bottom of the loaf pan. Pour chocolate batter on top of plain batter. Run knife through a couple of times.
    • Bake until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. Store refrigerated.
    • My oven runs cooler, I had to bake it longer and it baked more evenly in metal pans rather than glass. (I've made loaves of the regular recipe for DH and reunion.
    I haven't tried this yet so don't know how the applesauce is going to work out in the zucchini bread recipe but I've substitued it in other recipes and you can't tell the difference.
    Send me any good calories friendly recipes you try with the sugar substitues.
  • We had a cool morning so I made the Chocolate Zucchini bread with the applesauce, z sweetner, eggs whites and part whole wheat flour. It turned out awesome! I weighed the whole loaf and figured out the calories per ounce. I had a 3 oz slice, 1 oz = 26 calories x 3 = 78 calories. Baking with the erythritol is just like using real sugar, go for it.
  • Thanks Bobbi! I can't wait to try this with all whole wheat flour (maybe half pastry). It's already getting cooler here so might be soon!

BTW - I love your name