Basmati Rice vs. Jasmine Rice

• I just started Phase 2 and my book says that I can have Basmati Rice. I can't have Jasmine Rice.

My husband is Persian and all we eat is Basmati rice but I am really scared that it's a typo or there is some other kind of Basmati rice that I am unfamiliar with.

I compared the Basmati and the Jasmine rice and I say no differences. I don't understand why the Basmati would be okay and the Jasmine is not. Basmati is a longer grain white rice. Does it have the essential nutrients that brown rice or wild rice would have?

I am super excited if it does-I just don't want to cheat in any way...not even by accident! Would somebody please let me know the reasoning behind this so I can feel great when I am eating it!!

By the way....I have to thank everybody for all the help and support! I LOVE 3FC!!! It is so nice to get advice from others!!!
  • I have no idea but basmati comes in brown rice as well so that could be an option....other than that if the books says basmati I don't question it ...I just go with it .....enjoy
  • From my understanding, Basmati rice is a low GI food. Based on what I've read, it's because it doesn't spike your blood sugar as much. Perhaps the Jasmine rice spikes it a bit more than the Basmati?
  • Thank You! I shall feel guilt free when I eat it!
  • I thought you were limited to the brown Basmati rice. I don't have my books handy, but I seem to recall that coming up a long time ago because brown basmati was hard to find. It can be purchased at this store if you want to try it
  • Quote: From my understanding, Basmati rice is a low GI food. Based on what I've read, it's because it doesn't spike your blood sugar as much. Perhaps the Jasmine rice spikes it a bit more than the Basmati?
    I think this must be the answer -- although I would be hard-pressed to call any rice a low GI food, Basmati, at 58, is definitley a lot lower than Jasmine at 109.
  • Quote: I think this must be the answer -- although I would be hard-pressed to call any rice a low GI food, Basmati, at 58, is definitley a lot lower than Jasmine at 109.
    -nods- Well, perhaps low GI wasn't the term. I should have said lower. xD
  • my understanding is brown basmati is fine and i see it all over now including BJs warehouse... jasmine even brown jasmine is not allowed...
  • I found Lundberg's brown basmati at Walmart.