August already! chat

You're on Page 2 of 7
Go to
  • Hey Ollie! haven't seen you around for a while - hope everything is well with you.

Welcome 150 and Darling Clementine!
  • everything is well, mauvaisroux. i fell off the forums as i had to write a huge paper and then move 1200 miles away shortly afterwards, which is a wee bit hard to coordinate. now that i am a bit more settled, i'm back on track with exercise and my obsession with this site hope your summer is a swell one thus far.

yesterday was my and my husband's second wedding anniversary so we celebrated. i went a little off plan, but we did tons of walking around the city and it pretty much evened out. guinness is my fav low cal drink and i had quite a few last night (with only a few more cals than amstel light, i think it's worth it). good times.

hope everyone's friday is going smoothly. so glad the weekend is here.

cheers. (funny, this is where we went last night).
  • happy anniversary ollie! I'm with you on the guinness : )
    anita
  • Happy Anniversary Ollie!

My summer has been really good so far - I just wish we had more sunny days here!

I'm a Guinness girl too!

As for diet and exercise I am maintaining at size 12-14 but I am hoping to be down to goal of size 10 by October.
  • thanks for the anniversary well wishes, guys.

Guinness - i was surprised when i learned that a guinness draught only has 125 calories! that's about the same as a glass of red wine. if i had my way, my fav beers are the heavy lagers and stouts that can come in over 200 cals a glass, so i was pleased to learn this about guinness.

mauvaisroux i just moved from the deep south to new england, so i hear ya on wishin summer had more sunny days. honestly, i miss the extreme heat. there's absolutely nothin to gear small talk towards in the line at the market now. it's in the 50s at night here and it's still august. insane. lots of rain up here, too.

i'm hangin at a loose 14 right now as well. so we both can shoot for this 10 business by october. i do have one pair of 10 jeans which i have never worn that i keep lookin towards for a friendly reminder. we got this thang, yo.

i'm off to spend the day cleaning. jealous?
  • : ( Pardon me while I feel whiny.... We had dinner last night with some friends I hadn't seen all summer, had a really good time, ate well (in all senses of the word). And... no one said "oh, have you lost some weight?" No one noticed that I had gotten new (very different) glasses. I FEEL really good, and my clothes are loose, but no one can tell! Heck, I might as well stay home with hubby if no one's going to notice. Waaaah!
    Ok, thanks for listening. Tell me to shut up now.
    anita
  • anita - just because no one said anything, doesn't mean no one noticed. i find that a lot of people are hesitant to say anything b/c what if they are wrong? sounds like they are just bringing up someone's weight as a topic of conversation.

if you feel great that's the most important thing. i've been reading your posts and it sounds like you are really in to what yer doin. keep it up!

and people will eventually say something, it just takes em awhile to do so

also. i wear glasses and have changed frames a few times over the year and no one has ever said anything. however, i notice every time someone else does. i've come to learn that i'm simply more observant than others. sometimes that's just the way the chips fall. i'm sure you look fabulous.

now shut up and keep it up
  • thanks - i needed that!
    keepin on keepin on....
  • Woo hoo --- went thru the attic and pulled out a big armload of old clothes to try on. Now they're washed and hanging in my closet, wearable again! (And a couple of things that are soooo close, just a few pounds away from being wearable.... I'll try them on periodically to check my progress.) Also picked half a dozen things to give away; Stacy and Clinton wouldn't like them.

Hope you are all having a good one; how are all our vacationers?? Back now, suntanned and smiling, I hope : )
    anita
  • Guinness is apparently chock full of vitamins too!

Guynna - tha's great about the clothes fitting you now!

Well I am off to Indianapolis for a week of being immersed in a games convention - should be fun! Talk to you all next weekk!
  • When we were in Ireland we saw big poster-ads saying "guinness for strength" and "guinness is good for you" !!

Travel carefully and have fun!
    anita
  • i've read somewhere, and i forgot where, that in ireland pregnant chicks drink guinness on doc's orders.

kinda like the dark chocolate thing--every time i eat it, i think about all the anti-oxidants i'm giving my body.

have fun in indianapolis mauvaisroux! when you say games, like d and d or what?

congrats on the attic cleansing anita! i'm sure that feels so good. i have a small stack of clothes waiting on me to get back to my pre-quitting smoking weight. although most i have given away as it has been a few years. but i saved a couple of choice things. measuring this weight loss thang by size is hard for me though cause i carry my weight all in the belly, butt, and thighs and even though i am losing that's always the last to go. that's just how the cookie crumbles.

i remember this forum got really slooooow last summer and that's one reason that precipitated, among other things, my slackness. i'm going to try to post daily b/c when i am on here i am losing and when i am not, i am not. weird i know.

i've been floating between the same 2 pounds for over a two weeks now and am so ready to see the 140s! this morning it was 150.3 and i know if i just give it a push i can get there by the end of the week.

so, anita, mind if i call you anita? i guess it's just you and me for a couple of days. holler at me if you need some support, kay? how's the weather in the carolinas? man, i miss the south. last night i slept with a sheet, quilt, and then a blanket. in august. so unnatural. i'm so not prepared for a new england winter.

have a nice day
  • hi ollie! yup, I'm Anita. Where in the south are y'all from? I'm a native Virginian, displaced from there for some years. In NC it was just lovely today -- not too hot, high in the 80s, a bit breezy.

I find this site really helpful too -- although no one here is like Big Brother (or Sister), I think it makes me feel more accountable. Or something. The whole diet / relationship with food thing is complicated. I read some of the Beck discussion group the other day and liked what I saw; it's about "thinking like a thin person," changing the way you think about food and hunger.

Anyhoo, enjoy that "good sleepin' weather" !
    anita
  • Hey girls,you've been hogging this thread too long! LOL sorry, couldnt resist. It sure is slow in August, eh?
    Anita, Im a slow responder here.... One thing that always gets people asking about the weight loss is new clothes. Clothes that are a little baggy still look like your old clothes. I even had people asking me if I had lost weight when I had gained weight! New fitting clothes do the trick.
    have a good nights sleep! Missy
  • hi MissyG -- good point about new duds; thanks. How's the weather there in Onederland?!? I can't wait to join you there : )
    anita