exercising without sneaks??

• Last week I had to get something removed from the top of my foot at the dermatologist. It's going to take awhile to heal, even though I'm keeping it bandaged and have lots of neosporin. I tried to wear sneakers yesterday, but they sit right on top of the wound and it really irritated it. How bad is it to do any higher impact exercises in bare feet instead of sneakers? My only other option is walking, but my feet tend to blister easily in anything other than my sneaks. I don't want to completely wuss out on exercising all week (and I don't have a gym to go to or a bike to ride). I will focus more on weight training for the time being, but I'd like to do more than that. What do you think about doing aerobics in bare feet? Too hard on the joints?
  • I think it's a terrible idea, but that's just my opinion and not based on any medical facts.

I just think it's going to be too hard on your feet, and could dominoe up through your body and be bad for all your weight-supporting joints and tendons (like your achilles heel).

If you are going to do any kind of aerobics in your bare feet, at least try to make sure that it's low-impact, and on a good surface, preferably something like carpeted wooden floors.

If you don't have carpeted floors or they are concrete underneath, then I would invest in some floorpads so you can be on a cushioned surface.
  • I think that you deserve a medal for your determination!
    I would give it a try, let's say for 15-20 minutes, to see if there are any consequences the next day. If you are fine, do it again. It's going to be only for a short period of time (I mean you not being able to wear sneaks) so I don't think it should have too much impact.
    Good luck, and a speedy recovery.
  • I wouldn't do it. You can cause all kinds of damage not just to your feet, but to your ankles, knees, hips, and back from doing high-impact stuff (and even low impact stuff) without proper support.

I would stick to things like Pilates, Yoga, etc... things that are meant to be done w/out shoes ... until you heal up.

• Thanks, girls. I'll stick with the weights and such for now. I can probably make it to a pool and do some swimming this week as well.
  • I don't know, but I know a lot of people in Italy who run on the treadmill without shoes. I personally couldn't do it because the impact hurt my feet and legs, but I guess it is possible.
  • I confess to using the treadmill (walking, not running) or stationary bike at home in my bare feet. In the winter months I also did videos on the carpet barefooted.

All of my ideas aren't especially bright, I know. I'd stick to low impact on a padded surface. If it doesn't feel right don't do it.