Baked Custard for 2 - Does not work! See posts

• Found this recipe online, I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. Sounds promising.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 egg
    * 1 cup milk
    * Splenda (granulated) or other sweetener to equal 3 tablespoons of sugar
    * 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS

1. In a bowl, lightly beat the egg. Stir in the milk, sugar, vanilla and salt until combined. Pour into two ungreased 6-oz. custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place in an 8-in. square baking dish; add 1 in. of hot water to the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean

Double the recipe to make more.
  • I shall have to try this one DH loves baked custard so maybe tomorrow I will try it out, he loves a pudding on Sunday in particular.
  • Don't forget to use nonfat or lowfat milk in this!
  • Did anyone try this? Any reviews?
  • Just tried it tonight - unfortunately it was a disaster! I followed the directions to a T, but after 1.5 hours (!!) of cooking in the oven, I took it out even thought it still had not set. The taste was extremely egg-y and not really dessert-like, in my opinion. I wonder what went wrong? Maybe there's something I'm missing?
  • This recipe was not tried by the poster. One egg is not enough to thicken a whole cup of milk. I will close this thread and delete it in a day or so.