Why is size such an issue?

• hi! I am new here - feeling that mid40s metabolism change - and major lifestyle change which has made it so hard to exercise!!!! The weight has crept up and on over the last 4 years and I just have to get in GEAR and get it OFF!

Why are we so obsessed with size from our generation?? My daughter has no problem just buying what fits and not looking at the size; I KNOW I shouldn't look at the size but it still bothers me if I'm not in what I think I should be...grrrrrrrrrr......sorry, just needed to vent!!! I am disgusted as to how ingrained this is - cause I don't WANT to be this way - I just want to be healthy and look good and whatever size I am...
  • Clothing size doesn't matter, it is your overall health and fitness level that does.

to 3FC and the 40-something group!
  • It's ok, a lot of people feel like that. I work at a clothing store part time, and you woudln't believe how many people come in and refuse anything bigger than a 16 bottom when really they need a 20---and would look soooo much better in one. There is this one girl who comes in quite regularly and buys 14's. She's definitely not a 14, and she even has been known to pop the buttons off the pants trying to sqeeze into them--then comes out and tells us how poorly made our clothes are.

Same with tops. ...Then there is the opposite. I see many size 16 or 14 women that swear they should be wearing a 20.

It's all about perception though. I mean, if you think you look good in it... then wear what you feel the best in.

Besides---who sees the tag in your pants or shirt anyway? I was really hung up on this for awhile. Then I got to thinking...so what? People can look at me and tell I'm not a size 10. Why should I get all worked up about pretending to be a size smaller than I am or whatever... you know?
  • Sizes vary a great deal even by the same manufacturer. I just try everything on and don't worry about what the tag says,
  • i'm 48 and could care less what size i'm wearing
  • I think it's getting easier now to NOT worry about sizes, simply because, as Bargoo said, they vary so much. The last time I lost weight, I wanted to keep seeing those sizes go down, down, down. This time I'm finding that what fits are several different sizes all at the same time, so it kind of takes the importance out of it.

Good luck, Susala!
  • Thanks girls SO MUCH!!!! I just want to get back into the clothes in my closet and maybe a new pair of jeans in about 5 pounds down...
    I PROMISE I won't look at the size - I'll just go in and start trying them on!
  • Bargoo is right. I have everything from size 4 to size 12 in my closet. And they all fit beautifully. Don't sweat the size, and if it bothers you - just clip the tags. In a couple months you won't remember which items were which size.

I think clothing that fits properly and is cut in a style that flatters your figure makes you look so much better than something that is smaller (or larger) and doesn't.
  • you girls are the best!!! THANK YOU! I have a great goal - St Thomas in October - and I wanna look good in a bathing suit NO MATTER WHAT SIZE!!!!
  • I don't think its a generational issues, I think its a female issue. There are 10 year old girls who worry about their size as well as women up into their 60's. I know LOT of women of all ages who are concerned with what number is on the tag of their pants. I don't know why we are that way.

Oh, and I think its great that you've raised a daughter who doesn't have that obsession.