July 2008 Bootcamp challenge!

You're on Page 2 of 11
Go to
  • Is it too late to join in? Sounds like a great challenge!

Thanks,

Barb
  • Hi All!
    I'm mostly a lurker but a daily faithful reader. I love the prep ideas from post #1 and wish I would have found them sooner.
    I'm going to print them out and do many of them this 1st week.
    My name is Lene, I'm 33 and live in PA. I have a 9yr old son, almost 7yr. old daughter, a 16 month old daughter and an amazing DH. I started South Beach Feb 17th and love it. For exercise I ride a stationary bike, weights, power90 DVD, and couch to 5K program.

I need to work on
    -consuming less calories (@ 1500 would be perfect)
    -drinking 64ozs water (I'm horrible at this)
    -40 min/6 days exercise
    -journal food/exercise for entire month

I would like to lose 8 lbs this month.
    Long term goal lose 17lbs.
    Other area to work on would be getting my house put back together after our recent remodel.

I will put my official measurements up tomorrow.
    My mantra will be "One day at a time"

I'm very excited about this and look forward to meeting all of you!
  • This sounds like just my speed. Count me in. I will add in my stats tomorrow.

Brand spanking new to the boards. Long distance running fanatic. Need to figure out this whole food thing and it is somewhat (totally) related to general life chaos/clutter.

The calorie thing for me is weird since I run so much, but I am going to commit to eating 500 a day less than I burn. Depending on the day that could be anywhere from 1200 to over 2000.

I am going to commit to adding a day of hills to each week of running. I am also going to commit to incorporating two days a week of strength training into my regime.

I am going to aim to lose 5 pounds this month. My long term goal is 50 pounds overall, 6 down, 44 to go. With another 5 lost that will get me down to 39, which is less than 40 and therefore pretty major.

I am going to drink more water even if it means that I have to float to work.

Have to think on the whole mantra thingy. Hmmm.
  • My mantra is "positive, positive, positive!" because sometimes I get stuck in negative thinking and I'm trying to YELL this at myself so I cut it out.

I took my measurements again yesterday. My goal for the month is going to be just a pound a week as I'm weight training too, hoping to build muscle. If I can figure out where to go to get my fat tested I'll do that too perhaps.

I'm committing to 3 days per week of HEAVY weight training for 40 min or so per session, plus 30 m in of HARD cardio 3 alternating days, and some extra ab work and light walking/biking for fun.

Also I'm on a mission to really destroy the irritating clutter in my home, I'm also working on organizing my finances and paying off some debt as quickly as I can. I went to Dave Ramsey classes that were good but like this dieting/exercising it takes daily planning to get in financial shape. So I have two other areas I'm working HARD on besides this.

I'm drinking tons of water, I'm trying to eat clean.. and am shutting down my binges and eating out. I've created binders with recipes from the latest diet/fitness books and magazines. I tend to be obsessive so I am sorting through trying different ideas and the ones that are becoming my "core" recipes are going in one main recipe book. I'm keeping ideas for breakfast and lunch quicker, but with dinner I'm having more fun. I'm even trying to figure out how to cook things like quinoa, etc. that they have in the super clean eating recipes.

I'm the big 40 (throwing a fit about this) and I have a little 4 year old boy, who's very active. I live in the beautiful Rocky Mountains.

OF COURSE IT'S NOT TO LATE TO JOIN, some of us started this at the end of May so it's the same check off list that we lost due to some system crash here at 3fatchicks. I get in those creative modes and the list came during a creative time period... feel free to join even if you don't check off everything, the main goal is to just REV it up this month with exercise and clean eating!
  • Hey horsey-I live near the Rocky Mountains! About 60 miles east of Pikes Peak!

Ok, here's my intro. I'm 41, married, no children. I'm currently a full time student working on a journalism degree.

I'm 6' tall and as of this morning I weigh 214.5. I will measure myself in the next day or so.

My goal for July Bootcamp is to continue eating on plan and bump up my exercise. I was doing really well at the beginning of June and then it all kind of fell apart. I was doing the Firm workouts, but for July I'm going to do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and alternate it with treadmill workouts. I'd like to drop 10 lbs. which seems like a lot, but I think I can do it-especially once I start exercising consistently.

I have lots of decluttering to do, which again, I was doing well on in June and sort of fell away from that. But now I HAVE to do it because we have houseguests coming the 3rd week of July and if I don't declutter they won't have anywhere to sleep.

My husband and I are also working hard on our finances. We were doing very well getting things paid off and all of a sudden one emergency after another popped up, which derailed us for a bit, but we're doing some things to get back on track.

Welcome to all the new people. You'll find a lot of support here!
  • You must be somewhere close to me as I'm about 60 miles from Pikes Peak too, Southeast. PW. We could meet at some greasy spoon and pig out on "cheat day" BUT I'm finding Body for Life Cheat Day is NOT a good idea for those of us who like to EAT. I'm a former athlete, volleyball player, ectomorph would COULD eat ANYTHING in sight. No cheat days. I'm thinking you are in Colo Springs or East?
  • Ok, I'm Jacqueline. I'm 29 from Scotland. I have an almost 10 year old son. At present I am 212lbs, and by the end of this month I am aiming to be under 200lbs. I know it's a lot, but I'm going to work extra hard at this, as I've "stuck" for the past 6weeks or so!

My fitness goals are:

To go to the gym 5 days a week, doing resistance training and cardio on alternate days. I also plan to walk 5miles a day at least 5 days a week. I'm also planning on doing the 30 day shred dvd most days, but will see how I get on.

Food wise my goals are:

Stick to WW kickstart plan 5 out of 7 days, and stick to my normal WW points on the remaining 2 days. (I'm giving myself 2 easy days a week, as I'll be on holiday!) I'll be drinking lots of water, and as much green tea as I can manage.

I want people to notice a difference when I get back from my holidays!

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!
  • Welcome jacqu79...212 lbs by the end of the month is very do able....just 3 lbs a week!!

• Good Morning girls! Here's to the official start of July Bootcamp! This really helped me last month a TON!

1200-1500 cals a day & 30-45 mins of workout 5 days a week! #6.1 to go!
  • horsey-I'm about 25 miles East of the Springs, near the Elbert County line. Yeah, a whole cheat day was my downfall with BFL! I'd pretty much gain back everything I'd lost during the week!

So I lost .5 lbs from my little gain yesterday. I had a mini binge while making lunches for my husband. I was making pasta with sauce and it just looked so yummy. Before I knew it I was shoveling it into my mouth! But I felt kind of sick afterwards, so I ended up not eating dinner. I had a few chunks of cantaloupe and that's all.

Today I'm meeting my mom and aunt for lunch. We're meeting at a restaurant/brewpub downtown and I've already checked out the menu. They have some salad choices and a hummus and veggie platter that look good. They also have the most amazing french fries which I will have to stay away from!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!
  • Quote: horsey-I'm about 25 miles East of the Springs, near the Elbert County line. Yeah, a whole cheat day was my downfall with BFL! I'd pretty much gain back everything I'd lost during the week!

Hey Darby1!! I'm with you here. I saw in the biggest loser one of the trainers suggested a cheat day to "shock" your body so you plateau less often....but like you I would gain everything back. I think I took my splurge to extreme. So...I changed it. Now I only splurge on Saturdays for lunch (if there is a special occasion like a b-day or get to gether...I use my splurge there instead of Saturday lunch). So now instead of a whole day I just do one meal. Also, the way a typical day goes for me I have two snacks that total 300 calories. On my day that I get a one meal splurge I don't have my two snacks...instead I add that 300 calories to my lunch calorie total of 400 for a total of 700 calories....I also add about 30 extra minutes of exercise on splurge day...

I think as hard as we work we deserve a treat....and as for my self...I have to learn how to control these foods cause if I just limit them.....eventually my craving wins out and I eat for a week and its down hill from there for about a month...LOL
  • I'm with you - I can't have foods that are "off limits" completely - I just have to limit them. Although I'm getting further and further away from them as I go through this. Seeing progress helps me to not want them.. it's when I plateau that I have a problem.

On my "cheat" day - 1 every 2 weeks - I still limit myself to 1800 calories. That was yesterday, and i managed to only hit 1680 cals. Not bad for a day that included a chocolate chip muffin, cheeseburger AND pizza! And then i can go back and eat how I need to - with out craving all that stuff for a while. TOM is still my hardest time... but as my Mantra says: If hunger isn't the problem then food isn't the answer
  • Quote: On my "cheat" day - 1 every 2 weeks - I still limit myself to 1800 calories. That was yesterday, and i managed to only hit 1680 cals. Not bad for a day that included a chocolate chip muffin, cheeseburger AND pizza!
    I just wonder what everyone eats...cause when I see things like this I feel like I'm not eating right and I really want to. I eat cheeseburgers and pizza all the time on my regular days....if it is on my menu for the day (I plan out my menus for the next week on Wednesdays and make my grocery list and get grocerys for the next week on Thursdays)

Example....my lunch is 400 calories so if I want a burger I have 4oz extra lean ground beef (160cal), 1 wheat hamburger bun (80 cal), 1 slice fat free Kraft cheese (30 cal), and 1 TBSP miracle whip (35 cal)...and I usually have 1 and 1/2 oz baked cajun fries (75 calories) with 1 TBSP ketcup for the fries (20 cal) total calories = 400 calories

and if I want pizza...I get a tortilla shell (aztec 10" shell = 110 calories), put a 1/4 cup of pizza sauce (30 calories), load up veggies and mushrooms (about 40 calories), about 1/3 cup of part skim mozz. cheese (80 cal) and a few pepperonies (70 cal) total calories = 330 calories

or I have those Lean Cuizine french bread pizzas they are 290 calories so I still have enough calories for a 100 calorie pack for dessert...

so is this wrong???? What is everyone else eating? Should I be eating other foods and using these as splurge foods? I am losing weight right now I have around 1500 calories a day....but I could be losing weight because the lower calorie amount is a shock to my system....I don't want to eat wrong and then eventually it catch up to me...

Thanks

• I eat the Boca burgers now with a ww bun, but I'm thinking about cutting to just half a bun for awhile. I just figured out the low carb tortilla pizzas and they are yummy, my boy said they were better then the pizza restaurant! I like the new cookbook Hungry Girl, it has ideas on how to recreate the things we like to "binge" on without the guilt. I've tried the really low carb diets and I lost energy and felt bad so my new "semi plan" is two starches a day max, one for lunch or dinner but not both. Better to not do starch in the evenings I've found when I've dieted in the past. It's summer so how about stocking up on fruits and veggies when planning menus? If you are losing weight you are doing something right, if you like calorie counting then keep doing it if it's working for you. Personally I was seeing weight loss obsessing about calories more then this way, "portions" and including a cheat day... Fitday or Calorieking are quite helpful I think. It's when something isn't working that you start really tweaking it!
  • I am in!
    I lost 5 pounds in June and I know if I push myself a little harder I can lose
    5-7 in July :]