Any foods to combat bug bites?

• I have almost 60 bug bites on my body (not kidding) and they itch. HORRIBLY! Are there any foods, supplements or liquids I can consume that would make me "less attractive" to bugs???
  • Hi Naytally...
    Sorry... I don't have any food suggestions. But I do want to mention that anything scented; shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, hairspray, dryer sheets etc.. WILL attract buggies........ I only use unscented stuff in summer....
  • wellllllllll, i don't know, but i have read that garlic helps combat fleas on dogs...........maybe it would help on humans too? dunno but look on the brightside, it wouldnt hurt to try and you wont have to worry about the vampires..........

okay i know everyone wants to be a comedian.....you really should probably see a doctor for that many bites, i would imagine infection would be a concern and they may be able to give you something for the itching i.e steroids or prescription cream.....goodluck hope your itch free soon.
  • No.

Sorry. I wish, you don't know how much I wish. But no.

I have tried garlic, garlic and b6 (or 12), rubbing myself with lemon. More lemon. Some nasty south american weed. Nothing.

I was wearing 25% deet today and I have mosquito bites. Ticks. Yep.
  • The mosquitoes are awful this year - I was wearing spray and have oodles of bites too.
    They like certain body chemistries better than others, and unfortunately - I'm delicious
    They could care less about DH.

I've tried a lot of the folk remedies too, and nothing seems to work for me

Long sleeves, skip fragrances, and use bug spray - at least it helps.
  • Quote: The mosquitoes are awful this year - I was wearing spray and have oodles of bites too.
    They like certain body chemistries better than others, and unfortunately - I'm delicious
    They could care less about DH.

I've tried a lot of the folk remedies too, and nothing seems to work for me

Long sleeves, skip fragrances, and use bug spray - at least it helps.
    Yeah all my life bugs have just LOVED me. I started smoking a couple of years ago and the bugs stopped, and then I quit smoking about a year and a half ago... Maybe last year the nicotine was still in my system or something because I didn't get many bites last year but this year... Oh yeah. Its all out WAR. My FH suggested that we go plant some seeds in the yard at about 7pm... I laughed, showed him my legs and said NUH-UH!!! We live by the water, which makes it worse!
  • Quote: No.

Sorry. I wish, you don't know how much I wish. But no.

I have tried garlic, garlic and b6 (or 12), rubbing myself with lemon. More lemon. Some nasty south american weed. Nothing.

I was wearing 25% deet today and I have mosquito bites. Ticks. Yep.
    Oh yeah the ticks are BAD this year. My dogs at my dads house, even though they are on heartworm medication that is anti tick and frontline for ticks and fleas, we have still pulled about 20 ticks off between the both of them. One has lime disease (on medication for it) and the other has some other tick born disease (also on medication). Even my FH has gotten two ticks this year. One on his belly and one on his finger (ew!). I'm checking myself every day for ticks because we live by the water and I work at a house that is in the middle of the woods *ick*.
  • My husband said that he read/heard that if you eat a lot of bananas, mosquitos will be more attracted to you.

Somehow I've become less attractive to bugs over the past 2 or 3 years. Three times this year I've gone out running at 9pm, and I only had ONE bite to show for it. In previous summers, I would get about one bite for every 10 minutes I spent outside in the evening. I'm trying to pinpoint what I might be doing differently (so I can sell the secret to others, lol!) but the only thing I've thought of is that I'm not on hormonal birth control anymore.
  • Quote: My husband said that he read/heard that if you eat a lot of bananas, mosquitos will be more attracted to you.

Somehow I've become less attractive to bugs over the past 2 or 3 years. Three times this year I've gone out running at 9pm, and I only had ONE bite to show for it. In previous summers, I would get about one bite for every 10 minutes I spent outside in the evening. I'm trying to pinpoint what I might be doing differently (so I can sell the secret to others, lol!) but the only thing I've thought of is that I'm not on hormonal birth control anymore.
    *gags* Banannas are nasty! So that is definitely not the problem, haha. The birth control might be... I wasnt on it last year.
  • I found the cause of the problem... There are fleas in my dad's yard! I sat on the swing for 5 minutes and there were at least 7 fleas biting my leg.