Wow, can you believe my healthy weight is about 30 pounds away??? But my self esteem

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: I was a "Big-boned tall girl"... and now I'm just the "tall girl" part. So coming from someone who believed she was big-boned all her life, don't even bother focusing on your frame when determining what your goals are. I'm now considered a medium frame... but I do believe I'm one sturdy 6 footer! When I was 200+ pounds I thought it was impossible for my weight to go below 180 without looking like a rail. well surprise! I'm 170 and can completely see that with exercise and a healthy diet, i'll be a knockout at 160 lbs. (that's the modest me speaking. gotta keep that passion!)

If you really want to know what type of frame you are, then calipers are the best way from what I've seen. And you can have that done at most gyms or your doctor maybe as well.

Set your own goals and truly internalize them. You spell out your own doom by saying "I still think nothing's going to change". Get that positive thinking going and know that with each day that goes by where you focus on good eating habits and exercise - you'll feel 100 times better.

- medium-boned tall girl
    Wow, at 170 and 6 feet tall, you probably already look like a knockout. When I was 170 at 5'7 when I was younger, I looked pretty good, if a bit "hip-py" as my grandmother woudl call it. (Hippy like rounded hips, not like like pot smoking peace-sign lovers, lol.) Thanks for telling me about the calipers, next time I go to the doctor I'm gonna ask about it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, too. You're right about spelling out one's own doom... it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Somedays I feel good about the weight I'm losing which is a good thing. Other days, I get down.

Good luck on losing your last 10 lbs, (excellent job!!!!). I bet you could model after that!
  • Quote: I think that if you workout and continue to eat right you'll get to your desired size. My doctor and doctors I had in the past said there's no such thing as big boned, that it's just a myth for people to say being overweight is acceptable. Look at the positives and stop dwelling on the negatives it'll only bog you down.
    I'm not so sure about that though, not saying you are wrong or anything but I'm not sure if the doctor you spoke to is completely accurate. Have you ever seen that girl Brooke Hogan? She has a fantastic, toned body. I've seen her in a bikini in star magazine several times. Her body is awesome, but she's not a small framed girl, she has a large frame. And I've seen a few others at their ideal weight who had large frames. I think the doctor had a point in saying that people say others are big boned to make it acceptable... I think people may use the term 'big boned' to describe a friend or family member when they don't want to be rude and say 'overweight' because being overweight is deemed unacceptable in our society.
  • Quote: Speaking of positive thinking, have you considered a name change? PM me if you want to change it - maybe ditch the fat part since it looks like self-sabotage. Maybe "Fit Melanie"?
    I like Fat Melanie, 'cause when I am healthy and thin again I'm gonna appreciate it even more. It fits in with my strange sense of humor. Thanks though.
  • Quote: What she said!

I really can't add more, only to say that I was the exact same way. Now, I'm not tall (well, I'm taller than average, but you know what I mean) and I was always told I had a large frame or was "big boned" and that I had my dad's thick German genes. Well, that turned out to be UNTRUE. I take after my mother. I have a small-medium frame with wider hips and am downright bony. Exactly like my 5'0 98 lb mother. Just taller. And my fingers overlap around my wrist.

I think height can also distort people's perception of weight quite a bit. I have a friend who is 5'10 with a PERFECT figure. Perfect proportions. And gorgeous. I would never in a million years guess that she weighed 170 and was a size 10. Actually, I think she's a 12. And she's bony as all get out.
    Don't you just HATE when people have to open their mouth, put in their two cent, and claim that someone is big boned or large framed when they have no real way of knowing? Urrgggh, it gets on my nerves. Recently I told my brother I was sick of my extra weight and then HE too had the nerve to say, no, you're not fat, you're just big boned, you take after mom's side. My mother is not big boned, she is overweight and tall too! He never saw pics of her when she was younger, at 20 something where she was thin and nearly flat chested and medium framed. Telling people they are big boned is like ruining their efforts and it's very defeating!
  • Quote: my best friend in high school is 5'10. Yesterday we bought bridesmaid dresses and she got a 12, she was a 16 in high school. She was talking about how our friend was going to have to buy the same size as her if not bigger and she's 5'2. Our other friend got a 6 and she's like I'M TWICE YOUR SIZE...but in reality she's 8 inches taller and it proportioned different. Don't look at weight as your only indicator. You can be thin and tall and still wear a 10 and look as good or better than someone short who wears a 2 or 4. Height definitely is a factor. I'm sure you look great and your aunt is right, you are YOU!! Love yourself!
    My obese friend who is inches shorter than me, has way more visible fat and no one would ever mistake her for big boned, just obese, (not to be mean but it's true) and she's still 30 lbs less than me. So you are right.
  • Quote: Melanie --

I'm pretty much the same size as you...almost exactly. And ya know what??? Whenever I've referred to myself as "fat" to people that I trust, they've always told me something like this:

Basically, if we were a size 0 at our height, we would look sort of creepy. There are some people that are that thin naturally and have slimmer bone structure in their hips, whatever. We're not them.

Even if I have a very low body fat percentage, I will NEVER be that small of a size, just because I have wide hips/plevic bones (it's all that Hungarian blood in me....). BUT -- I do have friends who are that slim, and ya know what?? They would give their left boob to be a little more curvy. They think they look like boys and that they don't have a "sexiness" that comes with the wider hips that we have.

Maybe you should consider getting your body fat measured by a doctor/trainer/something. (NOT LOOK AT YOUR BMI!!! Those can be so ridiculously inaccurate because they only look at weight vs. height). Then, shoot for a healthy BF% instead of a certain size.

Try to be more positive about your weight loss -- you've already accomplished a lot!! I know how hard it is, but if we just keep going we WILL get there!
    I am glad I have hips and am not one of those girls who go straight up and down and have no booties. I still want to be thinner though. When I was 18 my bosslady told me I had an hourglass figure and I want the same figure, just smaller and healthier. We are lucky we've got hips... maybe I just have too much of it though. Lol.

I am gonna go to a doctor and get measured sometime this month.

It's cool to find someone with the same stats as me... what sort of diet/exercise methods are you employing? I think seeing someone's weight loss who is similar to me will be that much more motivating. I'm trying the south beach diet for awhile, before that I was doing lower calories and eating a bunch of whole grains in my diet rather than white. Then I'll see what happens.
  • Smile your among friends!
    Quote: Speaking of positive thinking, have you considered a name change? PM me if you want to change it - maybe ditch the fat part since it looks like self-sabotage. Maybe "Fit Melanie"?
    Hey - I like the name Fat Melanie! After all, this is the "3 FAT CHICKS" web site - That's why I love it here, but FIT Melanie is cool too, or "Fit not Fat Melanie"

Anyway, here check this like from like forever ago...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134022

here is another good one:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140367
  • Thanks Vixjean! And those were really good & helpful posts.