Nasty diet foods..

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • Quote: worst diet foods i've tried so far: veggie hot dogs, ff cream cheese, soy joy bars, and the number one most disgusting diet food i had to throw out instead of eat was turkey bacon! oh seriously- so disgusting. why bother?

oh i LOVE turkey bacon! better than the reall thing, not as greasy. but i detest ff or even lf mayo, ff salad dressing and cheese. low fat cheese i am cool with. Don't really like veggie anything except the chicken patty sandwhichs, but those aren't diet!

tuna spaghetti!! UGHHH!!
  • I know that many women are constantly drinking diet soda, but I've never been able to deal with the after-taste.

I just don't drink any soda.

Also, I can't stand the South Beach Diet deli wraps. Blech. The flavors do NOT go together.
  • This may be the funniest thread I've read on this entire site. The pumpkin brownies and the tuna spaghetti... oh my... i need more kleenex....

The only FF food I've found edible is FF refried beans. I can't taste any difference at all. All other FF stuff is always vile tasting (and pretty scary if you read the labels, too). I stay away from the artificial sweetners too, except in diet soda. I work the graveyard shift and need my caffeine so I've learned to live with diet soda.

Good Wraps - look for "Joseph's" - they make pitas and have branched out to wraps. They have a flax/oatbran/whole wheat pita (and now a wrap) that is really really yummy.
  • Turkey Bacon...expensive and nasty!
    I bought turkey bacon a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to be low-fat. Nope...it looked okay, smelled okay, didn't even taste awful, but the TEXTURE WAS DISGUSTING! It was like celery - I kept chewing and it kept getting bigger and bigger. Then I started thinking about the condition of the turkey if you're destined for turkey bacon and not a nice, juicy roast turkey.

Refusing to waste the expensive nasty, I cooked the whole package nicely, put it in a zip lock bag and crumbled in my dog's dinner each evening. Libby the Border Collie LOVES IT.
  • Sandy, Libby wants you to try different turkey bacons. Maybe some are better? I love love love breakfast sausage and kept trying turkey breakfast sausage 'til I found one (Stonewood, a local VT brand) I liked. I like it even better than traditional breakfast sausage. Maybe there is good turkey bacon as well. Libby thinks you should check!
  • I am getting a good laugh out of this thread.

I actually made some home made sauce a couple of times to eat with my whole grain pasta and tossed in some tuna. It wasn't bad. *Ducking *

I agree with everyone else, ff mayo? Ew! That is some of the nastiest stuff on the planet. I use light mayo. A little fat and 35 calories per tablespoon, I can live with that. In fact, except for yoghurt, I don't do fat free dairy, at all. A few extra calories and a small amount of fat is worth stepping up to the light versions, instead.

Turkey bacon is horrid. Just the burnt-chemical smell from that stuff while it is cooking is off-putting in the extreme. The taste was even worse than the smell. I didn't even give it to my dog, I just tossed the junk. On the rare occasions I eat bacon, I heat a few slices of the pre-cooked stuff in my micro and use a paper towel to blot as much of the grease as I can. 70 calories for four slices of real, baconey goodness. It's fine for a treat.

I admit to being rather addicted to salad spritzers and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray. yeah... I know. But, a girl has to do what a girl has to do. And fat free dressings and tub margarine just make me gag.
  • oooh i forgot i can't believe its not butter spray. my mom carried that junk with her everywhere when it first game out. gak! i think the color of it was more off-putting then anything else.

i never drink diet pop either. i just can't stand it. i'd rather drink iced tea or water. there are a few that don't taste AS bad - but for the most part, no thanks!
  • I use the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. I'm not a big butter lover, so maybe that's why it tastes okay to me.
    I've honestly never tried laughing cow cheese. When I need a cheese fix, I eat these low fat string cheese sticks. One WW point apiece. I don't knoe the brand name, but I get them at Walmart
  • Most frozen diet dinners from Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, and Weight Watchers. If you really pay attention to the ingredients, and if you really look closely, then think about it as you eat it, you'll probably never eat them again

I will eat frozen meals from Seeds of Change, the quality is much better. I also eat some meals from Amy's Kitchen.
  • South beach diet ranch dressing, SICK, SICK SICK! Don't know what phase it was or anything, but would just rather eat the veggies and taste them then EVER, EVER taste that nasty again!
    Ground turkey smells like wet dog,
    and diet pop is nasty too!
  • Just reading the words Tuna and spagetti together made me gag.

The worst diet food I had was a lean cusine. I hate frozen dinners. I can never cook them right and they always taste weird.
  • Count me in for disliking frozen dinners and fat free mayo.
  • Quote: My supermarket doesn't carry those; who does? Would that be the kind of thing I'd have to go to Whole Foods or Central Market (high-falutin' supermarket owned by HEB) for?
    In my area, several regular supermarkets carry Amy's. However, I've tried 3 or 4 different Amy items, and they were all gross, at least to me - soggy and bland. I know many have posted that they like them.
  • Quote: I will eat Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice, but they're not the greatest. My biggest objection to them is the amount of sodium in the dinners. I'm trying to get my blood pressure down. The sodium in the regular Stouffer's dinners is shocking; one of them had 50% of your daily sodium in it!!!!!
    I've kinda been watching my sodium myself the last month (doctor's suggestion but not order, due not so much to blood pressure as because I may be prone to edema): what amount of sodium are you trying to keep below? I've been thinking Lean Cuisine is ok, and I've been heartbroken to find out that Smokey Robinson's pot roast, which is yummy and has <200 calories, has >1100 mg sodium So much for that

JulieJ, I like Amy's pretty well and it's pretty easy to find in supermarkets here (Minnesota)
  • Years ago I gave the Ornish diet a try. There was a recipe for yogurt cheese that was used in a lot of the foods. Sorry, drained condensed yogurt does not taste like cheese. It tastes like really sour, dense yogurt. I fiddled with it trying to get it to taste better, but gave up.

Sheri