This week's healthiest food - Summer Squash!

• I eat tons of summer squash, yellow and zucchini. Grilling is one of my favorite things to do with them.

Food of the Week . . . Summer Squash
    Did you know that the powerful antioxidants found in summer squash, like vitamin C and beta carotene, have potent anti-inflammatory properties? Antioxidants help combat free radical activity, which can damage cell structures including DNA. By doing so, antioxidants boost immunity and help reduce risk of cancer and heart disease. To maximize the nutrients you derive from different types of summer squash, such as zucchini, purchase organically grown varieties whenever possible, so you can enjoy the entire squash—skin, seeds and flesh—without concern over pesticide residues. Summer squash can be served lightly cooked or raw with your favorite dip

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=62
  • When feeling lazy, I like to nuke and slice a zucchini and a yellow squash, and mix them into scrambled eggs with some parmesan cheese and salt. Sounds boring, but it is delicious! If I have shrimp on hand, I add those too. You get a really filling meal with veggies and protein in like 10 minutes tops.
  • I love to grill them all, sometimes I make a marinara sauce and put squash and zucchini. I have also been looking into Mediterranean recipes and I found some that call for zucchini and yellow squash - I think I am going to try one this next weekend.
  • I love summer squash!!!!

It is probable one of my favorite foods, I like to dice and add it to eggs, "fry" it in pam with onions with salt and pepper or lemon pepper, sometimes I'll egg wash them and dip in bread crumbs and bake, cut them up raw and mix with brocoil, clauiflower, onions, chickpeas or black beans, and low fat italian dressing.
  • Ooh, two of my favorite foods: crookneck squash and zucchini. I had crookneck squash dressing tonight. I haven't done the nutritionals yet, but it was delish!
  • Oh, yes, summer squash.

First off, I sneak it into all sorts of meat dishes. My chili, my soups, my burgers, and my meatloaf all have grated zucchini. Tons of bulk, almost no calories, and fiber to spare.

I use it as a side in summer, marinated overnight in minced garlic and basalmic vinegar, then grilled.

I stuff hollowed out squash with the chopped zucchini innards, as well as tomato, basil, garlic, parmesan, and whole wheat couscous, top with a sprinkle of mozzarella, and bake until golden brown. Delicious! Add a grilled chicken breast and a side salad and you have a wonderful company-worthy dish.

I also take chopped squash, tomato, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, and herbs, plus maybe a bit of parmesan, and bake it in a casserole dish. So great - heartier than your average veggie side dish, but still low in calories.
  • Inspiration at 12:56 AM is.... zucchini bread/muffins! I think after I run out of my Banana Nut Fiber One Muffins I'll try morphing the recipe for zucchini muffins. Yum!

I eat lots of summer squash. I love it roasted with garlic, steamed, raw, baked into a lasagna, used in pasta dishes... low in calories and LOTS of bulk.
  • Oh! I forgot about slicing zucchini thin for lasagna noodles.
  • Ahhhh, zucchini!

I am watching my little zucchini plants with glee. Grow, little ones! Grow!

Calabacitas (sp?)---mmmmm, corn, zucchini, green chile. Soooo good!

I grill, roast, saute, and eat zucchini raw. I use them to bulk up marinara sauce and I love them with eggs too!
  • I love all squash, both winter and summer. I just had zucchini for lunch today, in fact. One of my favorite summer squashes, besides zucchini, is patty pan. But it's hard to find. I've never seen it in the store. The only place I've ever found it is at a farm market.