My first ever real dish!

• So I have absolutely no idea how healthy or unhealthy this meal was - but honestly I'm just so proud of myself that I wanted to throw it on here anyway! I'd love some feedback as to how good or bad it actually was - but as someone who grew up on canned veggies only - I'm SO proud of myself!! I went through my dad's fridge and found little bits stuff threw some veggies together, a pinch of this, a dash of that - and here's what I came up with...

Yellow squash
    Zucchini
    Tomatoes, stewed
    Green bell pepper
    Garlic
    Salt
    Pepper

Browned with garlic and then cooked together with the tomatoes, into a stew type thing - and then served on top of a bit of brown rice.

It seems like it can't actually be all that healthy, because that's got to be a TON of carbs - but it was delicious, made from scratch, without a recipe, with FRESH VEGGIES!, and I didn't even burn anything! Even if it was pretty bad, I am still SOOO proud of myself! That's a HUGE goal/accomplishment!

Anyway - if anyone has feedback, all is welcome!
  • That sounds absolutely deeeelish!! Good for you!!
  • Sounds fantastically healthy to me. Nothing wrong with carbs like that, those are the good carbs that we need more of. Good for you!
  • Quote: It seems like it can't actually be all that healthy, because that's got to be a TON of carbs
    Carbs are not bad for you. Your body needs carbs. What's bad for you is bad carbs, like refined sugars and refined grains. The carbs in the meal you made were all from fresh vegetables and whole grains. That's extremely healthy. Unless you went insane and ate like...3 cups of cooked brown rice or something...(which would probably make your stomach feel like it was going to burst!)...then there's no way you ate enough carbs in that meal to make your blood sugar crazy.

If you want to make a stew like that even more healthy, use a little olive or canola oil when you are sauteing the garlic, and then put in a source of lean protein like chicken breast, or some tofu, or some canned (and rinsed) beans. Then your meal will have plenty of good carbs, good fats, and good protein.
  • Thanks so much for the tips! I did use olive oil (Yay me, again!) but I'm definitely noting the recommendation of adding a protein to it. I'm SO excited about this!!
  • That is awesome! Yay for you! It sounds yummy and healthy and like something I'll have to try!

• Sounds delicious and summery!

Just to add to what the others have said, although those oils are healthy and good for you, they are high in calories, so make sure that you monitor how much you're using and you'll be golden!
  • Quote: So I have absolutely no idea how healthy or unhealthy this meal was - but honestly I'm just so proud of myself that I wanted to throw it on here anyway! I'd love some feedback as to how good or bad it actually was - but as someone who grew up on canned veggies only - I'm SO proud of myself!!
    Sounds GREAT!!!
    A plate of that mixture with 2 cups of vegetables and 1 cup of rice) would give you about 13 grams of protein as is, as well as 13 grams of fiber. Pretty healthy indeed!

If you'd like, add some white beans, chickpeas or lentils to the mix for even more protein and fiber.
  • wonderful
    Sounds like a simply delicious ratatouille!