Online/Distance Learning

• Anyone done this, like with University of Phoenix or something like it? I've been considering doing some coursework this way....
  • I took Intermediate Accounting II distance from LSU, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I couldn't get any feedback from the instructor, and it was a royal nightmare to get my transcript send to the school I was graduating from. It was the one and only class that I got a C in, and I still don't know why, being as I made 100% on all my homework, yet would make Cs on the tests. To be fair, my advisor told me that no one has ever past that class distance, and that it was a mistake, but still, the instructor should have at least communicated with me.

Of course, certain types of classes probably lend themselves better to distance learning, but accounting definitely isn't one of them.
  • Well personally I wouldn't recommend the University of Phoenix. Only because I have heard many people (management types) say that they don't think much of their degree programs.

I did complete my MS online though from the University of Denver. I started on campus but ended up moving so had to complete it online. The degree was pretty good, some classes were a bit too easy (I thought) while others were very difficult. It does take time either way but at least you aren't commuting into a school, juggling your schedule, etc.

When doing an online program, just as it is if you are attending a class, you get from it what you put into it. I would research the school you plan to go to, ensure that they are accredited and make sure the program is a good fit for you. I personally prefer programs that are associated with a well established school rather than programs that are built specifically for online programs.
  • I'm currently taking to classes online through my university. I'm taking Intro to Psych and a Journalism course. The professors seem really great about correspondence so far so I'm pretty hopeful.

My dad's taken a load of classes through the Uni of Phoenix program, to get his masters though, and he doesn't seem to complain too much.
  • I don't know if I would get an entire degree through University of Phoenix, but I did take two classes there a few years ago to finish my teacher certification. I loved it. I could go at my own pace (which is usually fast -- I like to get things done quickly) and I had no problem with the workload. I think if you're one of those people who always finishes stuff earlier than your classmates, you'll probably like it. I enjoyed being able to just knock things out on my own time, whenever I felt like working.
  • Online courses are one of those hit and miss type things.

When I ran the testing centre at a college, the majority of the exams I supervised were distance learning courses. Some people enjoyed it, but many didn't like the fact that they didn't sit in class (some people learn better when they are "there"). Also a lot of instructors don't get paid much for teaching their online courses - as they only mark material... they don't do the teaching, the online content does it. So some really don't care about who their students are or what grades they give them.

There are a few instructors who are very good at working with their distance students - but from first hand experience - so many instructors/profs them make their "in-class" courses first priority.
  • I got my Masters of Computer Science from Colorado State University, all online. I LOVED the program that they had. I think it was more work than if I had actually sat in a classroom for the courses, but I really enjoyed being able to do it at home and on my time.

I have also heard some not-so-great things about how degrees from University of Phoenix are considered. There are lots of universities and colleges out there offering online programs. You might want to check out some other ones before you decide.
  • I took a class online with Keller Graduate School, and it was more work than going into a regular classroom! I'm taking one online this semester, hopefully I'll have a better run with it than the course I took with Keller.

Good luck, whatever you decide...
  • I did some online course work for my B.S. I would say check your local schools first to see if they offer online courses that you want to take. I only say this because once you go to a national or international school online there are chances that they will not credit correctly to your degree or ultimate goal, it is expensive and you wouldnt want to spend the money, take the classes, then find out you have to re-take them because the state or whoever, will not accept the classes you already took.
  • Jen,

Also what type of program are you looking for specifically? Maybe someone could have some specific suggestions for you, if you like.
  • Nelie: I'm not sure, really...I'm kind of all over the board. I had thought about going into nursing, or public relations, or human resource management. All very different things! I just know that I could be doing something more than I am right now.
  • I have taken many online courses in addition to traditional classroom courses. I really enjoyed them, as I am a shift worker and have a difficult time going to class (who wants to go to class at 9am when they've been awake until 8am?)

That being said, I took the courses THROUGH my regular university.

It's just another branch from the regular university. Loved it. Great feedback.

My mother is also doing her high school diploma through correspondence, and those materials are being emailed to her from the local school board. She's dyslexic & ESL and she is getting great support from them.