Weekly Chat 5/19 - 5/25

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: Hi everyone. I haven't been on here in a REALLY long time, but I wanted to re-introduce myself and get back into the weekly thread. My name's Becca and I live in Naples Italy working as a civilian for the US Navy. I love it here, and I love my job taking care of the children of the military members, but it's hard being away from my family and even harder being away from my boyfriend who lives in Georgia. Can't wait til we can get back together again!
    Anyway, I have been losing weight during my time away, and am down to 189 pounds, my lowes weight since HIGH SCHOOL! Yay! I hope to get lots of advice and share some of my tips here too. Am looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing stories on this journey!

Hi Becca,
    I have been to Naples once or twice when I lived in Vicenza... I lived not that far from Caserma Ederle and went to school there. Have you ever been to Vicenza? I miss that place like crazy...it's been 9 years since I left Italy. They just had a reunion last year for everyone who went to school there but I'm still "too young" to have that much $$$ to go there for a reunion. Oh well...I also miss Camp Darby, which I went for a youth group camp during summer.

Well, congrats on your loss and looking forward to getting to know you, too! =)
  • Paula, I bet you feel great from that doctor visit (at least the compliments). I really hope you are right in saying that the lump is nothing. You are probably right though. I wouldn't be quite settled though until I knew for sure if it was me though lol. I get worked up pretty easily though.

Gracey...poor girl. You lost too much weight and now your clothes won't fit. LOL No...jk. I understand what you are saying. Losing weight IS expensive, but so worth it. The in between stages are especially frustrating, because you don't want to buy too much because you want to go down more.

Arts, that is so great that the gym is really working out for you That theatre part sounds great! 30 pounds in a year is NOT an unrealistic weight to loose...but just please look at it in more short term goals. Try for 10 in three months first... lol Maybe the large goal works for you though. WTG on the weight loss!

Becca, hello and welcome back! I am new to this thread this week. It does seem like a wonderful place doesn't it? WTG on the weight loss! What weight were you at before (may I ask). WHOHOO!

lissa, nice just going to curves. What is this study all about? Hmmm...mabye i missed something from before.

Belly, I have more of a motivational quote board now When I see that I am about to cheat, I look at an index cards (I have them in my work bag, so they are accessable all the time). I like the idea of putting up a picture though. Maybe even just a cute small dress or swim suit ? Hmmm thanks for the idea.

Cookie...my thing is if this weekend is the weekend that you have been working so hard for (sense January 9th). YOu need a weekend break. At the most, you might gain a couple of pounds, but they will come off very easily. If you think though, that it is going to make you feel horrible...try not to go overboard (maybe pick one or the other...alchol indulgance or dessert). WTG making your goal though!

Hi Swimming and sun!

How is everyone else doing so far this week?

Well, I have as of yet to actually start doing anything. I just keep pushing everything one more day or one more week. I keep making excuses. I thought coming on here would make me commited. I did something about it this evening though.

No...I didn't actually go to the gym to work out, but I WILL start tomorrow...I promise. My eating was just pretty horrible again today too (so many goodies in the teacher's loungue!). I was really depressed when I got on the scale and saw that my 150lbs was up to at least 154/153 pounds. I worked so hard to get down. Now, I know because these are fairly new they come off pretty fast. I need to start doing something about it...NOW!

It's funny that someone on here mentioned creating a dream board...I did something kind of like that today. I wrote messages to myself (one for the morning and one for the afternoon). I also put up a paper with the numbers of pounds that I want to lose, and I am going to cross off each pound as it comes off. I am also going to meaure myself tonight...well, I'll try.

The last thing I did look for a handful of inspirational quotes that would help motivate me...I wrote these down and I'll keep them handy when I am about to cheat.

My morning message to myself is

"Good Morning Tessa! Today you will eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and have a positive attitude...starting NOW!"

I am going to have that on my mirror when I get up in the morning. After I am finished getting ready I'm going to change it to my afternoon message.

"Afternoon now? You will continue to make good eating choices...stick to your plan. Tessa, you will exercise now every day.

Ok...starting now I am going to start. No more excuses...
  • Cookie, as other ladies already mentioned, enjoy your weekend! Remember moderation, though. Eat what you want and then stop when you feel satisfied...then you should have no problem with eating too much. And at the reception, DANCE it away! =)
  • the curves/avon fitness study i guess its to see how the workouts are(i'm gonna sign up for it and see if maybe 5 weeks will make a difference and i still plan to the strip tease workout
  • colaz -- that's a really good idea to try and do it in smaller chunks. I DO have a tendency to get overwhelmed with big goals, so I'll definitely try and look at it like that!! At this point, though, I'm just trying to get BACK down to 200, which was before my little slip-up (slip-up = finals week. blech.) You're so cute with the self-messages!! I always feel weird when I try to do stuff like that....but then again, I'm crazy so.....yeah....
  • lol arts...thanks. Yeah, the self messages are a bit unique, and I'll let you know if they work. LOL...I was just so frustrated and down yesterday, and I needed to do something. I'm glad that you are going to look at your weight loss in smaller chunks. Each milestone is a great accompishment!

Good morning ladies!

Well, so far so good this morning. I had a 3/4 cup of Life cereal this morning. I've decided not to worry about the slimfast for awhile, unless I really want it. I wasn't too hungry this morning, so the cereal did it for me. If I wake up super hungry one morning...that is when I will go for the slimfast granola bar (or if I crave chocolate lol).

I don't have a substituting job yet this morning. I really hope something becomes available.

ohhh coffee is done!
  • Good mornin' gals (and guys!)

I think I've decided that I'm ADD with diets or eating changes. Last week was fruits and veggies week and I did really good...that is until I went out to dinner 3 times during the weekend and ruined everything. Haha. But, you know, one weekend isn't going to kill me so Monday I wanted to get back to the fruits and veggies thing. Problem was I was waaaay too bored with it. I wanted a little spice in my food life. I've seen that pattern with myself. If there are only SOME foods I can eat, I'm a champ for about a week and then I'm much more interested in other things to eat. It's not so much that I crave what I can't have, it's that I love trying new things...and there are only so many new fruits and veggies at my store.

So, I decided to come up with a plan to keep myself entertained with my diet, haha. I'm going to have a new thing I do every week. And I'm going to start in the middle of the week so I'm not tempted to go all out on a weekend.

This week: soups. Sorta like a lazy cabbage soup diet. Although I adore cooking, I don't really have time to make loads of soup, so I just bought a whole bunch last night. Plus, I'll have a little variety. Each serving is between 70-200 calories. They are all reduced sodium kind because I know thats what gets ya with soup. By Sunday with "Belly's Soup Week of Awesome Soupness" I'll add some whole multi-grain things in moderation.

I picked soup first because I like big kick starts. There are also so many kinds! And, if we go out to eat this weekend, everywhere has soup! So I'm good! Next week is TBA, I have time to think about it, but I think it's going to be all organic in portion control. Nothing processed or with tons of preservatives.

ALSO. I got my free trial of the Pink Patch. Now now, I know what you're thinking. "Oooooh, Belly, what are you doing? It's not going to work!" Have no fear my chick-a-dees, I am ok with that! I ordered it because...well, it's free. Secondly, the UK post about it was interesting to me. And thirdly, the way I see it, even if it has a placebo effect but still makes me feel more confident (or thinner or whatever positive weight-lossy word you put in there) then it's worth a try, right?

So here is my day thus far is the Pink Patch:
    6:05am - Woke Up.
    Feeling: Tired and groggley

6:40am - Put on the patch and I'm off to work.
    Feeling: Tired and not so groggley (thank you showers!) but kinda hungry-ish. I didn't have time to grab breakfast...grumble...

8:05am - At work, typing this message in the forum.
    Feeling: Not hungry in the slightest and fine overall - no complaints!

I'll continue to post about how I feel with this Pink Patch (which isn't actually pink I'll have you know! It's more peach/salmon like...the nerve! hehe). I didn't weigh myself because I'm scared of the scale right now, so we'll go off of what I feel mentally and physically. I think I weigh about 138ish right now though. Remember to take all I'm saying about it with a grain of salt...is that even the expresssion? Haha. What I'm saying is don't think it doesn't work or works only because of what I say. We'll see how it goes!

Hopefully it will help me go from this: to this:

Tessa - I know you posted a different thread topic about it...but I really love the little notes you have for yourself! I think that is an excellent idea! I'm going to do it! Also...big props for not eating a pop tart this morning!!

Becca - I've never been to Italy...but I want to and I'm totally jealous you live there
  • Hey all sorry for no personal responses right now I'm exhausd. But I wanted to check in, I leave for New York tomorrow super earlier I have had a bunch of errors to run today, get perscriptions, do laundry, pack, ect. I'm slowly making my way though everything, I did manage to resist the temptations of going to CVS something about there makes me want to get junk food plus to get there I pass Au Bon Pain which has half off bakery items after 3. Blah but I survived and didn't buy any junk food.

I am debating going to the gym, I tripped over my own two feet on the walk home from school and skinned my knee so I don't know if I'm going to go.
  • i skipped the gym today having issues with my oldest being whiney and crabby and my body is hating me for the workout yesterday lol.
    i'll go tomorrow and get my 30 min when hubby gets in from work
  • Remember and Lissa -- sorry about the off-days. Those tend to be when I start feeling crappy and get really down on myself. Sometimes life just happens and catches you off guard and ruins your plans for the day...but back on tomorrow

I'm excited to have pilates tomorrow at the gym. It's great because they have distinctions for "Pilates" and "Pilates with props". Though I don't really care which one I go to...so I don't know why that really matters!! But anyway, I guess I just like to know what to expect when I get there. I'm going to try really really hard to motivate myself to get to the gym and do my cardio BEFORE I go to the Pilates class, because I know I won't want to do it after.

I gave myself a day off today because I had a pretty painful pulled muscle happen in the middle of a split in ballet class yesterday, so I wanted to give it a day to rest. I've been doing really well this week with doing cardio at least once a day, and also doing dance classes at night. It actually feels really good to work out twice. Hopefully it'll also help the bod start to look more toned and nice and help the weight drop off as well.
  • I did my first pilates "session" today at home with the DVD I got the other day. I tried to do it yesterday but my DD wanted to lay on me and hang on my legs so I ended up stopping it. I managed to do about 30 minutes of it out of 50 minutes before my DD woke up from her nap..and she saw me laying down, doing stuff with my leg, and ran to me, put her face right on my chest and closed her eyes giggling. Then she sat on my fit asking me for "plane"... Well, i got to do some leg work there, as she's 30 lbs! :P

On the way to work, I could already feel my ab muscle... Some of the workouts were too difficult for me, as I'm a big time beginner...but I did what I could and I so can tell it's still working. I can't wait to see how it will affect my body after some time..

Good luck, arts, i'm sure you will make it to the gym and when walking out of gym, you will be glad and pat yourself on the back for going! =)
  • Well, day 2 of the Pink Patch!

It's only just before 9:00am so I don't have much to say about the 2nd day of the Pink Patch except that I feel just fine.

Yesterday was quite interesting. I felt really antsy at work, the day was going by soooo slooooow. I had a lot of energy, but I sit at a desk all day so I don't think that was a good combination. Haha. I noticed myself talking a lot, I was probably driving my co-workers crazy.

I also thought about food A LOT. I couldn't stop thinking about it. My soup just wasn't satisfying me. I wasn't really THAT hungry, but because I was thinking about food I thought I was hungry. All my co-workers decided to torture me by getting McDonalds. Ugh. I really love McDonalds but I stayed strong (I knew they were just jealous of my soup hehe). By the end of the work day I decided to break my soup cycle (already! haha!) and went to Subway. I got a footlong to spite myself for being so weak. Grrr. I started on the first half...got halfway through and was STUFFED. I forced myself to finish. The other half wasn't even appealing! I was more than satisfyed! It seems like once I was occupied with something interesting I didn't think about food. So, I think work will be hard again today, but I have a long weekend ahead of me (no work tomorrow or Monday...woot!).

I wasn't really hungry the rest of the night, but I hate when food goes to waste and I knew the other side of the sandwhich wasn't going to last, so I ate it 5-6 hours after the first half. My energy level seemed pretty good all day especially since I didn't get prime sleep the night before.

I thought "day one ala pink patch" was quite interesting. We will see if there is a pattern. I'll keep you updated!

Tara - What pilates dvd do you have? Would you recommend it?

Also...WiiFit? Anyone try it? My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about getting it for myself
  • My DD's daycare just got Wi Fit and they LOVE it.
    Also, I got the 10 minute solution one...rapid result or something like that. Some of the movement is really NOT for beginners but I can so tell that it's doing its job because I feel my core all the time now and my thigh and arms...
  • I was a little disappointed in myself that I didn't get in to do my cardio before pilates this morning, but I made up for it going to an extra dance class this evening. I wasn't expecting to be able to do that because of work, but I was supposed to be working outside and it rained, so I was free for the evening

tara -- I've been really curious about Wii Fit. How do the kids use it?? I don't have a Wii, so I know VERY little....but wouldn't you have to be holding a controller or something?? How do all the little ones do it??
  • It's actually home day care, and the caregiver has it. When she watches the older kids (like when school is out for spring break or something), she let the older ones play on it.
    As far as Wii Fit, they just received it, as they pre-ordered it. The teachers are the only ones who have been able to do it so far...and the "owner" is pregnant right now and said she likes it because she can still do some exercise but not too hard on her body. One thing the husband did NOT like was that based on the information it receives in the system, it "creates" a graphic or something like that, I guess....and he said it made him look like some fat monster. He is not that tall, but has lots of muscle and is a big guy...so he weighs a lot. He said he didn't like that. :P