Toddler and "Diet" Food?

• I'm going to start cooking with low-fat ingredients more often. The problem is I have a 1 year old...does anyone know if it's bad for her to eat "light" versions of products? I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

I give her whole milk, of course, and whole milk organic yogurt for babies, but what about low-fat cheeses? I'm assuming lean meats are okay (probably better).
  • The main concern I'd have is the fact that many of the low fat versions tend to replace with high fructose corn syrup. My personal feeling is 1: Make sure you check your ingredients & if not on the up&up, 2: eat it (in moderation) the way it is and skip the hfcs.

I'll admit I'm not really "up" on this subject though. Cheeses may be ok. Just look at a low fat mayo or salad dressing... Yikes!!!

Good Luck
  • Fats should not be restricted in very small children. Healthy, natural sources of fats are needed for brain development.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002468.htm
  • Yeah, that's what I thought. The only l/f ingredient I ever used that she would eat would be cheese. I'll just use regular for her portion (Boyfriend doesn't like light cheese anyway).
  • I'm also trying to lose weight with a toddler (16 months old), so what I've been trying to do is reduce the amt. of processed foods and cook simple meals that we can both eat (protein, veggie, starch). If a recipe for something we are both eating call for l/f cheese, etc., I go ahead and use it, but I make sure that her snacks contain fat (full-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, milk, etc.). I have read a few places that dark poultry meat is better for toddlers than white meat, so I substitute that in her portion when possible.

Now I just need to work on not wanting to eat her snacks because they usually look so much better than mine ...

Good luck!