Loving uber "helpful" thin people right about now *rolls eyes*

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I don't want to take advice from someone who lost weight unhealthily (she says herself she did it unhealthily) and someone who also doesn't eat normally now (she only eats "soft" food and candy!!).
    I don't think there's anything wrong with avoiding that sort of advice. Heck, she practically says it's unhealthy advice!
  • I'm 6 feet tall. I am glad I'm not the only one who is SICK of hearing people say, "but you're so tall! You don't need to lose weight."
    I like what one poster said about seeing yourself naked, and not liking the dimples. I'm gonna use that, lol!
  • Quote: Company parties make me feel like Godzilla trying not to step on all the little screaming people.
    That is just the most awesome quote. I feel the same way when I'm in any group situation!!! Like Gulliver -- I feel like I have to sit very still so I don't knock them all down...
  • Helpful skinny people
    oh oh oh oh i HAVE to get in on this question!

i cant stand when skinny people, who didnt have to do any work to get that way, give dieting advice. almost as much as i hate when they call themselves fat... as im desperately trying to avoid putting butter on my toast (i love it with peanut butter now instead!) when i was skinny (a brief 2 yr period) i would give advice by saying, "well i just lost 50 lbs by doing this... maybe this would work for you." or "well when i started to change my diet, i read about this..." i never say im dieting. i say im watching what i eat or trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle. try to argue that! ever hear of crash lifestyling? NO!

heres another "fun" situation: i work in an office with a group of women, various ages, that are all over weight and unfit. theyre favorite game on their cigerette breaks is to make fun of me and brag about how UN-healthy they eat, how hard it is to eat healthy. my old boss loves to make disparaging comments about the "weird" foods i eat. she feels it is her duty to comment on anything i eat that looks different. i stopped bringing hummas and anything with spinach to work and often take a late lunch so i can hide my food because i dont want to hear the comments Schwans comes to our office every other week. one week one of the girls was looking through the catalogue and pointed out some pizzas she thought looked good. the driver/delivery guy said, "oh thats the healthy line" and she said, "healthy? oh ew! no no no i dont DO healthy. i cant feed my kids healthy food" yeah... we can see that. and yes she actually said she CANT feed her kids healthy food. not they WONT eat it, she just CANT do it.

so basically... i hate when naturally skinny people who havent taken any time to study nutrition try to put in their two cents. and i hate when overweight people get jealous and feel threatened by someone trying to better themselves so they need to tear that person down.
  • Quote: Hello fellow tall folks:

One bonus -- that's also a negative -- for us is that in my experience, the weight doesn't show up as much as if we were shorter, so the littler folks don't necessary realize what we've got going on. Of course, that doesn't make it any of their business... Hang in there!

Actually, a lot of short people with small frames tend to appear heftier with the same weight gain respective to a smaller person. A 5-lb gain on a person with a small frame and petite height seems more apparent than a person with a tall, larger frame.

On another note, being a thin and small person, my way of dealing with ladies who diet and are of bigger sizes is to not say anything at all, but it's funny. You'd think that your coworkers wouldnt care if you didn't say anything at all. My larger coworkers always have to say things like, "Do you eat anything at all?", or if I get fried chicken and ask everyone out of courtesy whether or not they'd like some, not only do some interpret my courtesy as "sabotaging their diets" but would also turn around and say "oh, sure, you can have some, youre thin!"

I guess my being thin means that the rest of the world is entitled to cast their judgement and assumptions on me to make it fair.
  • Quote: On another note, being a thin and small person, my way of dealing with ladies who diet and are of bigger sizes is to not say anything at all, but it's funny. You'd think that your coworkers wouldnt care if you didn't say anything at all. My larger coworkers always have to say things like, "Do you eat anything at all?", or if I get fried chicken and ask everyone out of courtesy whether or not they'd like some, not only do some interpret my courtesy as "sabotaging their diets" but would also turn around and say "oh, sure, you can have some, youre thin!"

I guess my being thin means that the rest of the world is entitled to cast their judgement and assumptions on me to make it fair.
    I have to support Veggielover here. Although I'm certainly not a thin person (yet!) there does seem to be acceptance here of judging/bashing people at healthy weights. Shouldn't those of us who know what it's like to be judged based on our body size avoid doing that? And anyway, isn't our collective goal to achieve a healthy weight?

Bad advice is simply bad advice - no matter who's dishing it out. And no one should be encroaching your right and privacy to feed yourself as you see fit. But by suggesting that they're doing so because they're "skinny" is enabling the culture of judging women based on their bodies rather than their words and deeds.
  • It's funny because last summer at work we were all sitting around talking about "diets" and working out during one of our breaks and I made one suggestion to this girl about how she could improve the effectiveness of her workouts. This girl was by no means overweight (a little bottom heavy, if that) and I was at least 50lbs overweight at the time I gave her the advice. She came back two weeks later and said it was great advice and she'd noticed a huge change in her workouts. If she'd not taken my advice because I was "fat" she wouldn't have noticed the change.

I'm not saying this to toot my own horn or anything () but I really don't think it matters who gives the advice as long as its sound advice. Lots of heavy people are trying to lose weight in unhealthy ways and lots of thin people eat badly but there's also those who are well versed in the subject of healthy living and can probably give very valuable advice. That being said, if it's not coming up in the conversation there's no need to bring it up. Some people are set in their ways and have their own system of eating and working out to try to achieve/maintain their ideal weight and there's nothing wrong with that. They may just not want to hear it...