Stevia sweetened soda

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • http://food.yahoo.com/blog/hungrygir...oda-dependency

Just read this article. Now I want to find some.

Anyone tried it?
  • Thank you for the heads up. I hate Splenda!! If you find it give us a holler!!
  • I read about that a couple months ago, but it's not available anywhere near me. Their website has an availability locator, and there wasn't anyone carrying it within 50 miles of me or my sister when I checked. Maybe I should check again, though--maybe more stores have been added.
  • Okay, I just checked their site-still not within 50 miles of my house nor my sister's house.

You can buy it online through their website now. They even offer a FREE 6-pack (2 of each flavor). I went to order the free pack, and it would cost me $11.59 for shipping and handling. Umm, no thanks
  • There is a store about 10mins. away from me that carries it. I will get some and let you know how it is!
  • Thanks.

I like Splenda but in Diet Rite soda it is just too sweet. I use it in my iced tea and I can control the amount I put in.

I'm interested in this one.
  • Quote: Okay, I just checked their site-still not within 50 miles of my house nor my sister's house.

You can buy it online through their website now. They even offer a FREE 6-pack (2 of each flavor). I went to order the free pack, and it would cost me $11.59 for shipping and handling. Umm, no thanks

I just did the same thing. I'm not spending $8.80 for a free six pack. I did print out the retailer request thing and I'm going to take it to Safeway and TJs.
  • I was under the impression that the FDA hasn't approved stevia as a food additive, which is why it's only sold as a "dietary supplement" and not as an artificial sweetener like Splenda or Equal. If that's the case, I wonder how it can be used in a food item, like soda?

ETA: I think I found the answer. The Zevia web site calls their product "ZEVIA® carbonated stevia supplement". It never refers to it as soda or a food product. I guess they're trying to get around the FDA by calling the whole thing a "supplement".
  • I use Stevia and it tastes great. I did a great deal of reading on the product before I decided to use it. Is there any wonder the FDA doesn't approve it. Think about what would happen to the artificial sweetener business if this product was approved.
  • No duplicity just definitions-defined
    I read that since Stevia is a plant it does not fall under the Food and Drug Administration's jurisdictions. That is also why all of those plant-based supplements (and I have been taking them daily since 2000) have on their labels about the FDA not approved (or disapproving) their use. It just doesn't fall under their "umbrella" of authority.

I don't think it is for any other reason than that. If it tastes good and doesn't have any calories, expect the major soft drink companies to get in on the action though. I would expect that.
  • Quote: I read that since Stevia is a plant it does not fall under the Food and Drug Administration's jurisdictions.
    But lots of foods are plants. Doesn't the FDA check our fresh produce? Our whole grains? Our spices?

Not questioning you, pamatga, just confused
  • Many approved food additives are plants, such as herbs and mustard. The FDA has not approved stevia as a food additive due to some negative studies:

Quote:
    Another product, stevia, is derived from a South American shrub. Though it can impart a sweet taste to foods, it cannot be sold as a sweetener because FDA considers it an unapproved food additive. "The safety of stevia has been questioned by published studies," says Martha Peiperl, a consumer safety officer in FDA's Office of Premarket Approval. "And no one has ever provided FDA with adequate evidence that the substance is safe." Under provisions of 1994 legislation, however, stevia can be sold as a "dietary supplement," though it cannot be promoted as a sweetener.
    Sugar Substitutes: Americans Opt for Sweetness and Lite

It can be sold as a dietary supplement due to the 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act that exempts dietary supplements from federal review and regulation. And because they call themselves "dietary supplements", billions of dollars of worthless and/or dangerous diet pills are allowed to be sold every year!

I don't have an opinion one way or the other about the merits of stevia -- I was just puzzled about why a soda could be sold using it as an ingredient. And the answer is because the Zevia company is calling the soda (not just the sweetener) a food supplement, not a soda.
  • wow...that so silly..the whole wording of it....I think it all comes down to money. - Well what i really want to say is that I've tried Zevia and for me it was ok. I didnt really care for it. It was way to sweet but not sweet as in candy but more of a splenda super sweet taste (i dont know if that makes sense to anyone). Everyone's taste buds are different. I personally would not purchase it. For now, i use sweet leaf root beer liquid flavor stevia in sparkling water.
  • Quote: For now, i use sweet leaf root beer liquid flavor stevia in sparkling water.
    That's a great idea. I'm definitely going to have to get some of that sweet leaf flavored liquid!
  • Quote: wow...that so silly..the whole wording of it....I think it all comes down to money. - Well what i really want to say is that I've tried Zevia and for me it was ok. I didnt really care for it. It was way to sweet but not sweet as in candy but more of a splenda super sweet taste (i dont know if that makes sense to anyone). Everyone's taste buds are different. I personally would not purchase it. For now, i use sweet leaf root beer liquid flavor stevia in sparkling water.
    That's why I quit drinking Diet Rite. It was just too sweet. It is the only one of the shelves that is sweetened with Splenda. Well, the only flavor I like.