Uh oh... how to deal with birthday?

• Question for everyone.. My birthday is coming up on March 8th. My parents are having a choc cake delivered to me at school, IM planning on sharing most of it but I know the temptation will be there. On Friday night, my best friend is taking meout to eat, and on Saturday, my parents are making a birthday dinner and will have another cake. Then, the week after, we are going on a family trip to florida. How do I deal with all this bad food coming my way??? Help!!!! Bryanna
  • Hi Bryanna,

First off you must be here because you want to lose weight. When life situations come upon us like a we make a plan. Visualize yourself staying on your program during this time. You can work toward having a good time with your loved ones and not a "food" time. A maintain would be great to achieve at a time like this. Make good choices in your food selections and remember that this program is yours and no one elses. This is what you want to do and you can do it. Keep your FOCUS at it will all fall into place for you. Have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
  • Thanks Maggie! That is a big help, I will try to stick to it! Bry
  • Do not let yourself feel deprived. I would suggest that you eat one piece of cake at each event where a new cake is served. Eat it slowly and enjoy every last bite. Do not feel guilty. Stay on your program otherwise. Don't let yourself be around leftovers, give them away or throw them out if you have to. When I go out to restaurants, I either order something that I know is healthy and not too high in calories, or I ask the waiter for local suggestions or ask for calorie counts on a few items that I am interested in. Sometimes, I just order something that I know is high in calories and put half in a to go box BEFORE starting to eat and making the other half off limits. A lot of liquids helps too.

good luck

asta

12/30/00 327lbs, current 224lbs, 177 initial goal
  • Thanks for the tips!
  • Here's a suggestion......
    Hi Bry. Try going to www.dwlz.com and check out her restaurant menus. She has listed almost 200 different menus of various restaurants. When your girlfriend says its time to go out... since it is your birthday....YOU CHOOSE which one to go to. Having already seen what you want will prepare you for the best choices geared to your diet. Remember...dressing on the side, limit the alcohol and ask for a jug of water to be placed on your table.

As for your other meals out.....(ie parents and trip) just do the best you can. Try to fill your plate in quarters.....3/4 veggies and salad and 1/4 meat(protein...grilled?not fried) Good luck, but you know what....when you have a plan and you're not feeling so out of control and overwhelmed, when it comes right down to it....only you can make the right,healthy and best choices!! Good Luck!!
    ps....Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
  • Thanks angel eyes! Actually I have thought about it and I think we're going to go to Applebees, because I know they have really good low fat quesadillas. And limiting the alcohol shouldnt be a problem, since Im only turning 19 and they wont serve to me! My friend of course wants to drink at her apartment after, but I don't think I will. With all of the extra calories I will be eating in the next week, I dont wanna waste them on drinking! Talk to you later! Bry
  • Uh oh just ate me a LARGE piece of cake! Lol. Oh well, tomorrow I will be back at the diet thing!