So disapointed...please give me some advice.

• so I don't have the best track record with following diets but I started pahse one of south beach yesterday and did great. I also did great today but then went out for dinner with my family. I reviewed the menu and ordered the only chicken dish that didnt say it was breaded and asked for it sauteed in oil instead of butter also I made sure that the sauce had no added sugars and starches. I also got veggies ont the side and salad with oil and vinegar dressig. When I got my entree, it was breaded and fried. I didnt want to make a scene and felt bad for already being a difficult customer so I just ate it. Then I was so upset I figured I might as well have a roll and butter too. Then after my mothers begging a shared a very large piece of pie with her. I so upset because I really did try my hardest with the ordering. Then it just snowballed. I managed to staw under 2500 calories today, so thats not too bad. But I just need some encouragement. Should I start fresh tomorrow?
  • YES! Start again tomorrow!

You did GOOD by asking to have something made a certain way. Next time, stand up for yourself. You're a customer! It's okay to say "I'm sorry... I asked for this a certain way, and it seems to have come out to me differently." Assert yourself.

Also, making one mistake (eating the meal) does not mean we've blown everything and so we might as well have another of this and some of that and on and on. It means that we do our best to get right back on track, immediately. So, learn from this Ask, several times if you have to, for your meals to be a certain way. And if you make a mistake, don't figure the whole day is all for naught.

You can do this Right back on track tomorrow!

PS -
  • YES! I agree with Faerie...
    I started P1 2 weeks ago. I'm still on P1 becuase I keep screwing up. Tonight I had pizza...my granma is dying and it was all that was there and I just didn't care tonight..
    But there's always tomorrow and at least most of the day was good! Look at the positives and what you DID DO RIGHT!!
    We all screw up here and there, its getting back on and trying again
    You can DO IT!!!

• You're getting good advice already so no need to repeat what you've read. Once you finish a clean P1 it will get a little easier because your cravings should really decrease. Today is a new day and your first clean P1 day. Can you hear us all cheering you on?
  • sam98555! The girls have given you very good advice, and I totally agree with them. Just hop right back on the wagon and give it a fresh start.
  • welcome. yep just start over.

next time... ASK.... I will point blank say "I CANT EAT WHEAT is there WHEAT IN THIS?" I've sent stuff back when I ordered a sweet potato once it came drenched in butter and marshmallow and I said "take it back" and they did....

i'm so evil tonite I am going to a dinner party and bringing my own food.

you can so do this...
  • Welcome to the forum! It's hard in the beginning to stay on track, but once you string a couple meals together then you focus on getting a whole day and then all of a sudden you've got several days under your belt and you're working on a week. You can do this!

Do start over, as the point of Phase 1 is the eliminate the physical cravings caused by the simple sugars.

When you eat out, remember that you are paying the restaurant to prepare food FOR you. They are working FOR you! You have the right to request something to be prepared in a way that works for your body. My son had several food allergies when he was younger, and we always politely explained his situation and then proceded to ask for things prepared a certain way, or requested ingredient lists for other things. Next time you go out, tell them you have dietary restrictions (they don't need to know why) and that you need to have your chicken baked or whatever the issue is.

Good luck!

Kara
  • Welcome, sam98555! Everybody has such great advice...I agree that you should just start over. A fresh start can be very energizing! I have been on SBD for a month now, and one thing that I have really learned is that restaurants can be a minefield. Going out to eat for me requires lots of planning, assertiveness, and positive self-talk, promissing myself that I will stay on plan. Just refuse to allow anyone else, including waiters or chefs, to get in the way of your goals! Good luck
  • The day wasn't a total loss. It was a day of mostly better choices, with a few unfortunate ones at the end. Hop right back on and tomorrow will be even better.