15 Weeks to Running

• I caught a few minutes of the Biggest Loser last week and they were showing a "before and after" for the last four contestants, I think. The blonde woman said that she'd gone from not being able to run to running "purposefully" in 15 weeks. I just signed up for a competition on another 3FC board which just happens to last 15 weeks. I'm wondering if it's kismet.

But I tried it the other day -- running. I hadn't run for more than eleven years though I've been walking 2.5-3 mph regularly since January. Only fifty steps. Then after five minutes, another fifty. Made me wonder how they get these BL contestants to go from no exercise to three-four hours a day. What kind of recovery methods they have because surely I'm not the only 300+ pounder to wonder about my knees after running a little bit. Has any one tried to get running so quickly or at this weight?

Thanks,

Barb
  • You might want to look at the Couch to 5K workouts. You really need to ease into it gradually, rather than quickly - or you can really hurt yourself.

Here is the link to the workouts: http://c25k.com/

There are also podcasts and MP3s to download which you can take with you to workout to. I love those because they tell me when to start and stop jogging and I don't have to look at my watch.
  • I started the couch to 5k program in January. By the end of February I ditched it and started all out jogging and entered my first 5k. It was hard in the beginning. My knees would hurt as would my butt. I did it 3x a week. I was around 280 when I started. Then I got a respiratory infection that zapped just about everything. I'm just now getting back to jogging. I'm participating in this weekends 3FC 5k and am going to try and jog as much of it as I can. What really helped me to go from OMG I can't jog for 90 seconds to making 15 minutes was music. I used my daughters mp3 player and just took off. I focused on the music and just how good I felt and didn't get the urge to quit jogging after 90 sec. The best advice I've received is get good shoes. I got fitted for mine after that 5k and they weren't super expensive like I feared they would be.
  • I'm halfway through the 9-week couch to 5K program, and I love it! I have never been a runner, but I CAN do this. I even enjoy it!
    Beth
  • I have a programme from a 'learn to run' course I took years ago that is even more gradual than the c25K plan. I found the c25K a little hasty for me at this weight, and in fact I don't plan on trying to start to walk/jog regularly for another 30 lbs. likely.

I've had problems with shinsplints before and have (minor) problems with my knees and arches now. I can tell you from experience, it is really difficult to finally get moving, get to the point where you can jog for 20, 30, or even 40 minutes, only to be sidelined by an injury because you took it too fast.

I agree, take it S L O W.