The All New 40's Chat

You're on Page 8 of 26
Go to
  • (( hugs )) for you Kappy.

I think it's funny you all call flylady a stresser. I've never even logged onto the site. Please, I have a chore list taped inside a cupboard in my kitchen. It's got like one chore per day on it and I find THAT to be a stresser.

Clyde, Flylady is some kind of web site that sends you reminders of housework you should be doing or something like that anyway.
  • kappy
    Those 60 day letters can sure cause stress. Those poor people. Work isn't that easy to find, at least it isn't around here. Hope your position is nice and safe. The things you find when you clean out places.

Clyde
    Nice going on the 5k. Thank you, I do feel better now. I am not the kind of person to let things bother me once I get them off my chest. AND when in the heck am I going to get rid of this chest. I have lost about 50 pounds and have only gone down from a 42d to a 38d/40c. Little hard to tell since I have my bras make for me. Only have a couple of store bought bras. The lady that makes them said I have gotten a bit smaller but not that much for over 50 pounds lost lol. Enough is enough this has to go lol. Heck I was only a 34 b when I started to gain weight lol.

gt
    Hello, nice to see you here in our little part of the world. You are more than welcome to join us. You will find everyone here very supportive. Never be afraid to ask for a bit of advice and please we want to hear about how you think about things too.

Lovn
    It is so hard to see the parents in the school systems that have no idea where to turn or what their children's rights are. They believe everything they are told. Most of the teachers are great but just getting your kids into the system can be very hard. I had someone at a friends church tell me she wants to pay me to come to her house and help her get it cleaned out. Then she wants me to help organize her and the family. I kind of laughed and said keep your money I will enjoy doing it. BUT I have done this before and very few people stick with what I set up. You don't stick with it and I am going to bring all the junk back to your house and toss it all over the place lol.

Slash
    Oh I don't take any offense and I sure didn't mean any please believe that. I am talking about people who go on and on about how they hate how their house looks but just don't have time. Please, we have time to exercise, we have time to pick up the house and we have time to eat well. Why? Because we don't have time to trip over things, we don't have time to let our body's be stooped over and out of shape and we don't have time any longer to be fat. I have friends that I go to their house and push stuff off a chair to find a place to sit. Heck, they want to live that way doesn't bother me a bit as long as they don't have bugs lol. I demand one thing when I go to someones house. A clean glass to drink out of and that is it lol.
  • Good Friday Night - we made it through another week. Welcome to GT.

Kappy - I hope things get better at work - It is not easy at this time and I hope that you get through it ok - I will keep you in my thoughts.

I had no idea what flylady was and now I think that is actually quite funny - I think I would find it stressful if the computer poped up telling me what to do. Oh-well. I did accomplish a few things this week - I cleaned out my 3 kids closets - It probably doesn't sound like much but wow - they were something.

Clyde - good job on the 5K - I really have to increase my excercise. I have been making many changes but the excercise seems to be the last. I did workout 4 times this week which is an improvement.

It has been so cold and rainy here it is really hard to get motivated to do anything outside. I think it is officially the longest winter that I can remember.

Well, it is getting late and I can finally take home my DD friends. She had friends over tonight and the hardest part of the whole deal is staying awake on a Friday to take them home!!

Take Care Everyone.
  • 4my
    Oh my gosh, cleaning out kids closets is a huggggge job lol. What do you mean, might not sound like much.
  • I haven't been able to check into this thread for about a week, so sorry about the long post! As usual everyone's posts are so interesting. Strangely enough, even if your support is targetted to one person, I'm feeling it here. Just goes to show what strength we have in numbers, and how many people we can affect positively with good messages.

lovn - The cooking group sounds great. I'm thinking of doing something similar here, but with a company that prepares everything ahead of time and you just go and cook. I'm going to try to get my 14yo son to come with, as an outing and teaching him to cook something more than KD and tacos. Won't be until May earliest, though, because of my treatments at end of April.

Rainbow - contratulations on reaching your goals! And yes, we can surprise ourselves if we just try. My family went to Old Quebec City a couple of years ago and did a walking tour. I didn't realize we would be walking back up the escarpment (very steep), and worried when we started. I was wheezing by the time we got to the top, and we stopped for a bit. But I caught my breath much sooner than I expected, and I remember that whenever I'm afraid to try.

Shy - that's an awful experience on the bridge. I'm lucky at not having any of those types of fears (my sister is deathly afraid of heights, so I know a bit of what you go through!)

4mykids - I used to have knee problems that sent me to therapy, and they had me riding a stationary bike (with all the hockey and football injured guys -- I was 17 and loved it!) So if she's biking, that's likely one of the best things. If weight-bearing exercises are a problem the elliptical bikes are better.

kappy - I'm so sorry you're having med-related problems. My pharmacist was very helpful in that regard when I experience something similiar (I think Shy mentioned that too.) And combined with the work situation - ugh. Hang in there!

Clyde, Shy - 2 lbs isn't that much -- don't give up! I'm sure many of us have been there with the fickle weight (I know I have) but it's the long-term you have to keep in mind! :

WardHog- a 3-hour spinathon If that were me, people would worry about my sanity. I look forward to hearing how it goes! And yeah, Go You Girl!!!

Rennie - great news about your son, another example of what support, determination and perseverance can do. You're a great Mom!

I've been busily taking care of my own son this week, who's had a migraine. I always feel guilty because it's likely inherited -- I've suffered from them horribly in the past, not as much anymore.

Aside from that, they're forecasting a really icky week-end here, so our focus is to busily finish off some inside tasks, so we can get outside when it is nice

I hope everyone has a great week-end (even those that are gardening already -- I'm terribly jealous!)
  • Hi girls.

Seawave I put the gardening on hold. We have a freeze warning tonight. I'm so glad I didn't buy any plants this week.

Rennie there is a very large closet upstairs that I'm dying to clean out but I have to restrain myself. It's middle daughter's and she keeps everything.When my oldest moves into the apartment at end of this semester I will do hers. I do enjoy clearing things out. I think it's from hubs being in the military for 26 years and having to move so often.

We are off to the mall hubs has to get a pink shirt for work! They wear pink shirts on Thursdays.
  • SeaWave: Great post. I love it when people have lots to say!

Clyde: There was a company rep that came in on Friday and he had a fairly bright pink shirt on. He really looked good in it. I don't think my redneck husband would be able to pull it off, but I think they can look good.

4mykids: I know what you mean about having kids over. It is not my favorite thing at all when it is a sleepover or they come over at night. Until they learn to drive, then you have to stay up or if they are there in the morning, you might have to get dressed and going before you really want to!! But, they have fun... so we do it!

Having a good weekend so far. I'm getting a lot done and the weather is better. FINALLY!
  • My 8 y/o and 11 y/o completed the First 3FC 5K with me today. We had a lot of fun. The 3 on 3 tournament was a bust for DD yesterday. They lost all three games. Two games were lost by 1 point and the 3rd game was lost by
    4. She had a great attitude and got 2 new basketball t-shirts so all was good anyway. DS did not place at all at state in the Knights of Columbus math challenge. After winning state last year I did not expect a repeat, but it would have been cool. Our water heater died. That's going to be about $800. So, not much was cool about yesterday. Except, if that's as bad as it gets Ill keep counting my blessings!!!

Hope you've all had a great weekend.

Diane and Clyde, My husband would not consider wearing a pink shirt. Both his jobs are very "blue collar." Although I think he'd look great in it if he would!!
  • Hey 40 somethings, sorry I haven't posted here in a while. I'll confess -- I've posted a bit on the "crazy canucks" forum -- the people from Canada. Really sorry to you all.

Not much happening with me -- down 8.5 lbs so for. Hoping it'll be 9 lbs in the next few days. I did the 5k challenge on the treadmill with a combination of walking/running in 45 minutes. I know its really slow but I just hate the treadmill. Have been out skating a bit (skated 3 days last week, 15 km each day) and my legs really suffered. I actually missed my kickboxing classes because I knew that I wouldn't be able to lift my legs high enough to kick. So I made do with the treadmill and rowing machine. I'll get back on track tomorrow night (Monday) when I go back. We've got plans to skate again Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday because the weather here looks really promising.

That's all I have for now. Other than to say to everyone that I do read all the posts and I am not ignoring any of you by not replying to each of you individually but quite honestly I find it really hard to do so. To quote another member from another thread --- it can be "overwhelming". So don't feel slighted. Hopefully with time I'll be able to include everyone in my posts.

Will check back in soon.

Cheers
    Chris
  • I need to go to bed but wanted to let you know we got the pink shirt!

It's so wierd he has worn military camoflague uniforms for 26 years and now he's having to wear suits, shirt and tie. The pink looks good with the dark suit. Thursdays are pink day!

Chris that's ok just remember to check in every now and again.

Brr it's been cold here this weekend.
  • Clyde, Is there a reason for pink on Thursday? Is it in support of breast cancer awareness or is it just for fun? I think it's a neat idea no matter what. I would think it would be a morale builder plus a lot of men are being opened up to a whole new style of fashion!! A safe, because everyone is doing it, chance to "step out of their box" so to speak.

seawave, I'm glad you are finding support here. We try!

4mykids, Better weather is coming. The sun is shining just beautiful in my part of the state this morning. It was a bit windy yesterday, but better. Were you able to take advantage and get outside at all?
  • Hi guys! It sounds like lots of us had fun doing a 5k over the week-end. I have the Komen race coming up in May, so I need to keep it up.

There's not much going on here today. The kids went back to school so we had to get up early. It's nice to be getting back into my routine, though.

I hope you are all having a good Monday.
  • I'm alive. Stomach bug again. Going to Seattle on the 24th with my daughter to go see my eHarmony match (um, he's AWESOME). He spent a week here and we had a great time. Then he emailed 2 tickets for us to come visit. Hoping I feel better by then.

I feel horrible, but it's a great thing I'm in such a good mood.

Wishing you all well. I'll catch up soon. Just haven't been online much and sleeping lots. Big hugs to you all!!!
  • Hey all. Don't know why but there are days where I swear I deserve a prize if I can get logged into this site and actually manage to post! It starts to change screens and just stops, drives me batty. Like I need ANY help in that department!

Hotter than Hades here over the weekend. Forget spring jump straight to mid July. Yech! Fog came in last night and cooled the whole area down again, thank heaven. Gotta tell you folks, if you aren't familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area. It can be 90 during the day, but if that fog rolls in you'd best have sweaters, sweatshirts, blankets available because the temperature is about to plummet. When we really start griping and complaining is when the fog doesn't come in and cool us off, which is what happened Friday and Saturday nights.

Nothing new at work, we're all holding tight until the final volunteer responses are turned in on Friday. Then we hold our breath and hope the worst is over. I somehow doubt it. I did find out the folks that get the 60 day letters actually have 5 business days to make a choice of their own. Stay and look for a job or take a severence package and walk away right then. Parking should be getting a lot easier as summer approaches. Sick way of putting a positive spin on a horrible situation!

Funny thing about Flylady, she's always saying "you aren't behind. Just jump in where you are." Pardon me while I just beat myself up some more. She's right, mornings are better if you picked out your clothes the night before and got lunch packed, yada yada yada. Wake up on the sofa at midnight and try running around to do that! No clue why I cannot stay awake in the evening, the minute I sit down I'm out. It doesn't matter if it's 9:30 or 7:30, I'm gone! What's that, only finished half your workout? Oh, well! Either do the rest at midnight or it goes in the undone pile with the rest of it. I'm beginning to suspect the situation at the office has a lot to do with everything that's going on. It's a sinister, sneaking, underlying kind of stress that is seeping into everything. Spend all day long finding stuff to do, get home and look at what needs to get done and it's overwhelming and depressing. Have to spend some time exploring that, it could answer a whole slew of questions. Maybe like an addiction once you admit it you can move past it . . . it's worth a shot!

Hope you all are having wonderful weather and a better time than me. JaneZoe it's time to get out in the sun and get better, girl! Can't get much better than a prepaid ticket to travel! Chin up, thoughts up, GO!
  • Hey everyone. This thread moves so fast that I keep saying I'll introduce myself at the beginning of the next one. Then the next one comes and I'm already behind. But I've been reading and lurking for a while, so I'm just going to jump in, if that's ok!

I can't really think of anything to say about myself, really. Ok, the basics: I'm 40, married (but separated), no kids, one cat, one townhouse, one photography business, 5 computers ... more cameras than you can shake a stick at.

Weight-wise, I'm stuck at 168-174 where I've been hanging out for several months. Mostly that's me having a very crowded schedule, doing lots of travel, not eating as well as I should, and skipping the gym too often. I'm working on it.

Anyway, I'm saying "hi" and hope to keep up with you all!