The All New 40's Chat

You're on Page 11 of 26
Go to
  • Letsgo
    Nice to have you with us. My son had adhd and asbergers. I do understand what you are going through a little bit. It can be very stressful. The weight loss is going to happen for you but it might not be overnight. For some of us it takes time. One day at a time and one pound at a time. Make sure you are eating all the things you need for a healthy body. Exercise is great for us, maybe try different kinds. You just keep with it. Everything we are doing is great for the body.

clyde
    Glad to see you lost that weight. Now you can feel good about yourself and keep moving forward.

lovn
    There are never enough hours in the day to do everything we want to do lol. Sometimes we have to pick the most important 1,000 things to do and let the rest wait lol.

gtm
    As long as a plan is healthy I don't think it matters what plan is used. Different things work for different people.
  • Morning girls.

My first earthquake. What a strange feeling.

Did you feel it Rennie?
  • Thanks for the kind welcome, it's much appreciated!

I managed to snap myself out of my funk yesterday and really pushed hard on the treadmill for an extra 10 minutes (listened to "Abbey Road" in its entirety, which helped; thanks, John, Paul, George, & Ringo). Also - I had to have bloodwork done this morning - in anticipation of my cardio appt. next week - and thus couldn't eat after 7:00 p.m. Lo and behold, when I got on the scale this morning, I'd dropped 2 pounds. Now let's just hope I don't gain it back this weekend - Passover starts tomorrow night, I'll be at my inlaws, and there will be a mountain of food.

Anyway...I'm feeling lots better today than yesterday. I know my cardiologist is going to be ticked that I'm not at the weight he wanted, but...it could be worse, I guess!

I also decided to stop weighing myself every day; I think that's just setting myself up for disappointment. So once a week will be it. How do you all deal with the scale?

Glad it's Friday; hopefully the office will be quiet today and I can plow through all the stuff on my desk. And after work - it's pedicure season! I find I want to start wearing some open toed shoes and sandals, so here we go (I let it slide during the winter). Welcome spring!
  • Welcome LetsGo: I think you'll find that this is a good place to vent, to have some fun, and get lots of support. It's hard to stay positive in this weight loss adventure because it just isn't a natural thing for us. I know I'd rather go out to lunch than to walk and eat my salad!! Oh, as for the scale, I only get on it once a week. More than that can be frustrating for me, but less than that and I lose focus.

Clyde: An earthquake?? That's strange for Illinois, isn't it?? I remember one in the Denver area when I was in college. It was really a strange experience.

Well, today is my daughter's 14th birthday. She's all excited about today. She started talking about what she'll need to do for her 16th birthday. I told her not to worry about it because I may not let her live that long.

Potluck at work today. Give me strength!!
  • PhotoChick, I'm so jealous of your fresh herbs right now!!! It must be wonderful to just go snip what you need for your favorite recipes. I've always said I'd like to have an herb garden, but have never taken the time to find out what grows well in my climate etc...I think you have inspired me to get my "rear in gear."

LetsGoMets, Clyde gave some really good advice. I too hope your appt goes well. Post often. I don't think your post sounds negative. You sound like most of us in the beginning! The first step is to commit to continue trying until you find what works for you and it sounds as if you've done that. I don't think any of us on this thread work the same program so to speak. Every body is different. Hang in there and spout whenever it feels necessary!Glad you're feeling better today. That's what it's all bout....one day at a time.

Clyde, I knew you wouldn't keep that two pounds. Great job! My hubby mentioned maybe being able to take the day off today. That has me nervous because I know he'll want to eat out. Lunches out he prefers chinese or pizza buffets. Either are so laden with sodium that I feel just awful after. I'm hoping I can convince him to have lunch at home and then a movie. It's raining here again anyway.An earthquake??? I hope everything's ok!

Diane, Awww it's her birthday. Do you have plans with her friends or is this a family birthday? My 11 y/o is still waiting for her friend party. Her b-day's in Jan and we're just too busy with basketball and everything then. Soon she'll celebrate, soon I promise. I hope you two can have one of those wonderful days when mother and teen get along splendidly!!!

Rain rain go away is all I can say this morning. Last night I drank Celestial Seasons "Sleepy Time Extra" at bedtime. It has chamomile and valerian in it. I always conk right out from it and I hadn't had any in a LONG time so it really did the job last night!!! Since Kappy mentioned she was going to get waxed and painted etc..I've been thinking I too should do my lip and eyebrows well, those thoughts combined with the tea lead to the funniest dreams last night. In one I did wax...not my lip, but my chin and neck!! In the dream my chin was huge..like resting on my breasts huge with tons of hair..when I was done waxing I still had hair that was like 4 inches long right in the adam's apple area lol too funny ! I just woke up all, "where'd that come from?" There's your insite into my crazy mind for today.

Hope you all have a great Friday!!
  • Hello Everyone !! Happy Friday - I had my weigh in last night (which is a terrible time for me to weigh in because I always gain 2 - 3 pounds!) and was pleasantly please that this time I only gained .01 lbs. WOW - That means (I hope) that on Monday morning when I weigh in it will be a loss. Wish me luck. They also did measurements and I've lost 10 inches in 1 month and 14.5 pounds total. I'm pretty please...but didn't eat breakfast this morning so I'm about ready to gnaw my left arm off. Gotta go get something to eat - just didn't have time this morning...

Everyone have a great weekend!
  • Hair cut this morning - can I claim 1/2 lb for the hair she took off?

Wax this afternoon (ahem - I don't think *that* hair counts).

I'm so incredibly sleepy today. I am pretty sure part of it is dehydration. I have't been drinking as much water as I usually do and I can feel it in my skin and my lips especially.

So onward and doing better this week!

What are everyone's weekend plans?

• gt
    Oh my gosh how did you lose that many inches in one month. Please let me know. I will incorporate what you are doing into what I am already doing.

lovn
    And you all think I have crazy dreams about giant green olives chasing me and screaming eat me eat me lol. You have me beat.

Slash
    Oh I do understand. We are talking about what we are going to do for my daughters 18th birthday in October. Not sure she is going to see that day the way things are going lol. We didn't feel the earth quake, thank heavens, I have felt one and it is a very scary thing. Maybe because we just don't get that kind of thing in Ohio to often. Last one I can remember was probably 20 years ago and it was only bad enough to knock my crystal bells out of their shadow boxes.

Letsgo
    Everyone has a bad day from time to time. Even me and I never let things get me down. We are just the people you want to rant to. Everyone needs friends to rant to from time to time.

Clyde
    We didn't feel it. I did see it on the news. 5.4 wasn't it? That is a pretty big earthquake for around here. I live up in NE Ohio. Was to far away for us to feel. Nope you didn't have any damage from it and it didn't scare the bagoobies out of you.
  • Quote:
    What are everyone's weekend plans?
    Getting a pedicure tonight after work...going to my inlaws' tomorrow afternoon for the start of Passover. It's a very food-centric holiday (as many Jewish holidays are!). Luckily, Passover desserts are often disgusting, since the use of flour and the like are prohibited during the duration of the holiday. I don't observe any dietary restrictions, but my inlaws do. But...it's actually a GOOD thing! It will not kill me to not to have dessert!!

Sunday...I ride (horses) on Sunday. My passion!! I've been riding since I was 6. Don't currently own a horse but that is on THE LIST. My son's 11 and a half, but at some point, he will be up and out of the house...and that's when I intend to get more serious about the horse situation. Till then, I have to settle for my weekly lessons, which are a great workout.

And just when I'm all relaxed, it's back to work once again.
  • PhotoChick, Any measurable loss is loss. No matter where it comes from!!!
  • If it doesn't rain we are going to wash windows. The one real big job I have left to do lol. If it does rain we are going to clean the solarium which is where George ( lop eared bunny ) lives. Takes forever to clean the Windows 5 sets of sliding doors. One on each end and three down the front. Then scrub the carpet and get the furniture and George put back. Glad he is litter box trained and I thought to put down vinyl table clothes in the end where he lives. Makes it all so much easier to clean.
  • What a nasty day here. It's been pouring rain,windy and damp.

We also had quite a few aftershocks. Hubs called at 10.20 this morning and asked " Did you feel that one?". I was driving at the time and did not feel it. There are 2 fault lines here in Illinois. We are near to the New Madrid one. The one from this morning is east of here.

My friend and I went out looking for flowers. Not a good day weather wise to be looking for flowers. I got 2 large plants for my front door. Sunday is supposed to be nice so we will all go out and get the plants then.
  • It rained hard all day here yesterday. No time for being outside at all. It was so nasty that even though hubs took most of the day off we just got food to go from a local restaurant and watched a rented movie. Maybe not too exciting, but it was nice. We had some alone time. He got some much needed rest and I was able to avoid a buffet line!!! I ordered just a cup of clam chowder. Not a soup I normally would order because of the high calories and sodium, but compared to buffet I figured what the hey! More rain for today so housework is on the to do. DS goes to Bible camp this morning. He's going with his Sunday school class and their teacher. He'll be home by mid afternoon on Sunday. This is his first time to Bible camp and having been a scout since he was 6 he finds it funny that they will be sleeping in a dorm and are required to bring pjs. That's not camping. I'm pretty sure he and his dad have come back from long weekends w/o having changed at all lol Guy stuff I guess!

Clyde, Some in Milwaukee and as far up as Madison reported feeling their bed sway. Many didn't realize what it was until they saw it on the news. Some were much relieved to find out it hadn't been paranormal. LOL A dentist, on the news, said he was on the throne at the time and the water starting sloshing. I'd have been up so fast thinking "snake" or something!!! I'm really glad there were no fatalities and that you and your family are ok!

Rennie, You must have a huge house to have so many sliding doors!!! I hope the sun co-operates and you get everything done you want to!

LetsGo, Hmmm, a pedicure what a novel idea. I hate to admit I have just that tiny line of polish left on my big toe, because it's been so long since mine were done that's all that's left!!! My DD does really cool designs on her own maybe I'll ask her to spruce ole mom's toes up. Flip flop season is a comin'.

Have a great day all!
  • Good morning all! That's so weird about the earthquake. We had one here in Atlanta about 5 years ago and I had no idea what was going on until I heard it on the news the next day. My husband slept through it.

Today is the day of my 3-hour spin. Wish me luck.
  • Good luck today, Ward. That sounds like a big challenge! You'll have to tell us how it all goes.

Well, we made it through my daughter's 14th birthday. It was a good time. I took her and her friend to 10000 BC. Interesting movie. Then yesterday we went shopping. I envy her love of shopping. She loves to try on everything and just totally enjoys it all. I cringe when I have to try stuff on. Oh well, I guess that could be because of the difference in the sizes of clothes she looks at compared to what I look at! It was a great mother/daughter time, though. What a cute girl!

Today, I have to go out shopping again because I forgot to get the supplies for the science project for my son. Darn. I wanted to stay home. We're building a weather station.

Hope everyone is having a good week!