Storing wheat germ?

• I just bought a jar of it and a box of flaxseed. I can't see myself using it very frequently. How long does it keep? How should I store it? I know it's supposed to be frigerated, but I thought about freezing it to increase shelf life.
  • Either will work.
  • I store my wheat germ in the fridge. I've had jars in there for literally years and with no noticeable degradation in quality. So it's probably just a matter of whether you have more room in your fridge or your freezer (definitely more room in my fridge). Also, if the wheat germ is in a glass jar, you might need to pour the contents into a bag or plastic container to store it in the freezer. I've had glass jars break when stored in the freezer.
  • I use a gallon plastic jug in the freezer for mine. I keep a scoop in it and just scoop out enought to keep in a smaller jar in the refrigerator.
  • I freeze mine too. Right on the shelf next to my frozen blueberries, so it's easy to grab both to make my oatmeal.
  • I leave my wheat germ in the refrigerator as it doesn't last that long, but the flax seed goes in the freezer.