Newbie from Michigan

• Hi there

I joined the boards today, and thought that this would be a great place to start by introducing myself.

My name is Kari, I'm 25 years old and I live in Michigan with my husband. My husband and I will be celebrating our one-year wedding anniversary on April 14th, 2008 - though we have been together now for close to 10 years. (High-school sweethearts).

I'm obviously here because (like everyone else) - I'm here to gain insight on getting myself healthy and lose weight!

I've been overweight since childhood and each year since puberty I've gained, and gained, and gained. I reached my highest weight in 2006 when I reached 320 lbs. That's when I went to the gynecologist for the first time ever (I was always too afraid to go). That's when I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).

I was put on 2,000 mg daily of Metformin ER and Yaz Birth Control. The Yaz & Metformin combination helped bring back my non-existant monthly cycle - and the Metformin helped me to lose roughly 40 lbs. The weight loss was nothing that I contributed to. While taking the Metformin, I still ate like I always did, but the weight just kept falling off.

After about 6 months, the weight loss stopped. Though I was disappointed that I wasn't losing anymore weight (without having to do anything...lol) I was happy that I was no longer gaining any weight (which before the Metformin, seemed like it wouldn't stop).

Now that things in life are starting to settle down after getting married and moving into a new home, I think I am ready to tackle this weight problem.

My husband is also overweight and we are both going to try and make an effort to drop the lbs. His only problem is a severe addiction to pop (Coca-Cola to be specific!)

Being healthy isn't just our only motivation for losing the weight though. We would like to try and have a baby in the next year or two and we feel that our weight (and my PCOS) is holding us back from that dream.

So I'm hoping that I can meet some great people here on these boards that I can help inspire and whom can help inspire me!

I look forward to getting to know you!
    Thanks so much for reading! Feel free to message me anytime!
    - Kari
  • Hi Kari &

It's wonderful that you & your husband will be supporting eachother on this journey. Have you thought about what sort of plan you'd like to follow? Have a look around & post where you're comfortable ^^

Best of success!!
  • Thanks so much for the welcome Faerie. It is appreciated!

I'm not sure what type of plan I will be following. I've tried all sorts of plans in the past and though some have been successful, they've never been anything I could stick to or make a way of living.

I'm thinking that my hubby and I are going to cut out the pop 100% and start eating healthy. Currently, we eat out A LOT due to work hours and just the sheer convenience of not having to cook.

However, I do know how to cook and I am determined to make a change. I think for now on, meals will be prepared daily at home, and they will be healthy fresh meals, not meals out of a box from the freezer.

I think we'll start there and see what happens.

Of course, we really need to start incorporating exercise into our lives. We currently just work and come home, watch TV and go to bed. Not good. We talked about starting a walking regime after work, slowly working our way up. In a few months, we will be adopting a dog, so that should help in that respect as well.

I feel really motivated to lose this weight - and I think we are going to do it this time!

Thanks again for the welcome!
    - Kari
  • Wow Kari! You've given a lot of thought to this, and it seems you're really making a wonderful plan!

Starting slow & building up is a brilliant way to do anything. It may help you & your husband stick with it for the long haul.

Definitely keep on posting & let us know about your progress or if you need any help.
  • Kari,
    I relate to your way of doing things. I joined yesterday and I am starting at a realistic pace, making changes in food choices and how (in front of the tv) and why (boredom) I eat. Also, getting off the couch and exercising is already making me feel better about myself. Best wishes to both you and your husband! You are going to do terrific!!
  • I've learned here that a crockpot is a wonderful investment

My high school math teacher told me once that he read a study that said if you cut out soda in your diet and replace the soda you drink with water you will lose 12 pounds in one year! That's a free 12 pounds..I feel like anyway!

Good luck on your journey!

-Liz.