HELP PLEASE! Looking for Alternatives to O.A.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Um, okay, so, I have been thinking about OA for awhile now, I'm not a major binger, but I definately have my moments that aren't quite 'normal' - i.e. sitting in my room eating chocolates ALONE or cutting slices of cheese off of the block and scarfing them before someone else comes into the room.

The issue is Im not sure that OA and its dogma are right for me, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • Oa
    Hey Anna,
    I recently went to my first OA meeting, and I think my last as well. I think the organization was great and what I expected it to be, but it was not for me. I thought about it for days and realized that I am not willing to admit to my weight issues as a disease. Again this is just little ole me talking, not putting judgement on anyone else! The one thing I did walk away with was their motto of "Just for Today". I binge at night, sometimes in the middle of the night, and I have taken their motto and changed it to ,"Just for tonight I will not binge." All I have to worry about is tonight. That seems to help me. Maybe if you go to a meeting you will come away having learned one thing that helped you?
    Best of luck,
    A.
  • TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) is a great organization. Like OA, it's original founder were inspired by AA. However, TOPS is not a 12 step program. What the founder took from AA was basically, that like alcoholics, people trying to lose weight can gain strength and support by banding together. Not really any different than Weight Watcher's really, except no specific diet is required. There is a TOPS handbook (purchase is not required, and most chapters will lend you a copy if you're interested) and the exchange plan is the officially endorsed plan (based on the diabetic exchange plan) but members are free to follow any sensible diet. In our group, many are former WW members and are counting points, we have some exchange followers, some low-carbers, and some haven't disclosed which diet they follow.

It's a non-profit organization and is quite affordable (my husband and I joined and our entire membership for the year, including dues is less than one month of Weight Watcher's). There's a $24 yearly national dues (includes a subscription to the monthly magazine) and each chapter charges their own monthly dues (most charge under $5 per month, ours charges $3). There are retreats and regional, state, national, and international events (though you don't have to attend any).

Most groups run small contests weekly or occasionally. In our group we pay 10 cent fine (double after holidays) for each pound gained at our weekly weigh-ins. The person who is biggest loser for the week, takes home all of the gain fines. We do have a roll call where everyone does say their first name and whether they gained, turtled (maintained) or lost (no one says the specific number unless they want to). Some groups do not announce gains and losses specifically, the weight recorder just announces the total losses and gains for the clubs. Either way, it really isn't a big deal, as I don't think anyone could tell you who lost and who gained at any meeting (except for their own self).

Groups do vote on officers, and determine their own bylaws so each group can be run differently. If you don't like one chapter, you can try other chapters to see if you fit better there (for example, I've noticed in some cities one chapter will be mostly elderly ladies, another might be mostly working women, another more stay at home moms). There were three chapters in our area and we picked the one that met on a convenient night for us, and had another married couple (I thought my husband would be more comfortable in a group that had at least one other guy in it).
  • One way to find out if OA is for you is to attend several meetings, ask questions, stick around and talk to others. If you have more than one meeting in your area attend different ones.

It might not be for you and then again it might be so I'd give it a try first.

hugs
    patd
  • I know I should probably be posting questions like this in another place, but how do you guys get your cute little counters? They're adorable, and now I want one!
  • There are lots of different ways out there to recover. I personally havn't found anything that has helped me like OA.
    Maybe read some books by Geneen Roth, Susie Orbach, Intuitive eating, try the somethingfishy.org website
    I'd give OA a fair go. If you don't like one meeting try another.
  • Thanks for all the advice guys!

*hugs*
  • There is another Program out there called "Celebrate Recovery" It is similar to OA and AA except it is Christ centered and they that they struggle with food or alcohol or co-dependency etc. I haven' t attended as of yet just have looked into it. Diane.
  • Hello,
    Here is my opinion on if OA is a program someone might benefit from.
    OA is for Compulsive Overeaters. Compulsive overeating is a desease. If you search on the internet esp. wikipedia you will find an unbiased definition of what compulsive overeating is. Only you can decide if you are a COE.
    The only requirement for OA is a desire to stop eating and overeating compulsively.
    OA works for us COE because we accept we are Compulsive Overeaters and everything we have ever tried before has failed. We look to a power greater than ourselves to bring us out of despiration and back to sanity. This is done using the tools of the program and working the 12 steps of recovery.
    I hope this helps to show that OA is not a diet and calories group.
    Good luck,
    Bumps
  • Diane- in my experience Celebrate Recovery is very much like OA as you said except that instead of referring to a higher power "of your own understanding", they definitely refer to Christ as the HP. the ones I attended were also a mix of alcoholics, eating disorders, and co-dependents. Not surprisingly alot of us fit more than one category.
  • Try shrinkyourself.com

It was developed by a psychiatrist that has worked with compulsive overeaters and binge eaters for over forty years. His success rates are amazing and he looks into the powerless concept etc......
  • over eating
    Hey Anna,

I too tend to eat when no one is looking. It is kind of like a freedom thing. When I don't have my kids with me and I am alone in my car running errands, I get a lot of joy out of going through a driv thru and eating stuff that I know is bad for me. It is like a feeling of freedom or something. I have never been to an OA meeting. I have thought of it, but never had the nerve to go. I went back to weight watchers today. I was in it before I had my kids and was successful.

lisa
  • I've been in AA since 1992 and have stayed sober. But I still fought OA for years. And it is a little different than AA.

I finally gave up and became more involved with OA. I don't necessarily give the idea that compulsive overeating is a disease a lot of thought. I just know when I eat certain foods, I can't stop. I've binged and purged over the years. I can't eat sugary foods. And the people at OA understand my past behavior and feelings over food which is what I need. The twelve steps are a wonderful way of living for anyone and you don't have to believe in God.

Anyways, there are a lot of on-line resources to tap into about OA and 12 steps without the pressure of meetings. I belong to an OA email loop from yahoo groups. Some emails are good, some I don't relate to at all. This may be a way to further explore OA/12 step recovery. There is some good literature out there also.

Just sharing my own experience.

Amy
  • I like Cea HOW...Compulsive Eaters Anonymous...I've been in it for a little over 3 years...but I am a compulsive eater....I lost 70lbs in 11 months and have had no problem keeping it off with the program...it's physical, emotional, mental and spiritual....It's been such a wonderful adventure and life changing experience.
  • On the road AGAIN!!!
    Hi All,
    Haven't been on here since October 2007 and low and behold, I gained most of the 45 pounds I lost back. I'm feeling really frustrated. I just turned 39 on Friday and I really want to enter into the next phase of my life not obsessed with food, weight and when I'm going to eat next. I believe in OA, however the area in which I live is really lacking good recovery in the rooms. I find the meetings rather depressing and I tend to feel worse after I leave the rooms. I have tried and tried to abandon judgement, but I just have difficulty relating to most of the individuals I come across. I hope I don't upset anyone in saying this, but it's a real struggle for me and I'd love feedback.