Pedometers

• Do pedometers really work?
    I recently bought one and I have notice that it even counts when I sneeze and cough...lol
    Did I just buy a "cheap" one? Am I doing something wrong?
    I am re setting it and starting over today so we will see !?!
  • Yes but I wouldn't rely on cheap pedometers. If you are really interested in counting your steps, I'd look into an Omron one. Cheap ones tend to overcount or be reset easily.
  • I purchased an Omron HJ-112 from Amazon.com through the 3fatchicks "store" tab after recommendations from one of the forums here. It has one of the top ratings and was only $19.95. I choose the 112 because I can carry it in my pocket or even pocketbook according to the instructions. Another girl I work with just got a pedometer as well, a different brand, and we compare our step numbers at work. We run about the same. I have Restless Leg Syndrome and my pedometer does not register those movements. I have never thought to look at it after sneezing.
    It is a nice tool and toy. I makes me aware of my activity level.

Make sure you read your instructions, you have to set up your stride before using the pedometer.
  • I have an Omron pedometer. I find it to be very accurate. I got mine off of Ebay. It keeps track of steps walked, aerobics steps taken, distance walked and calories burned. And it has a memory that keeps track of things for 7 days.

Annie
  • I have an Omron too. (model HJ-720ITC) I also like it because I can keep it in my pocket. Mine has a feature where you can download your steps into the computer so you can track.

I had a cheap one and on the way home in my car it tracked 1000's of steps!

My usual activity is about 4,000 steps, so I have set a goal for March to do 8,000 steps daily.
  • Omron HJ-105 user here
    I wear an Omron HJ-105 every day. I've tracked my steps in an Excel spreadsheet for two years. I love it. It really helps me to keep honest about my walking.

• Count me in as another fan of the Omron pedometer. Love it, love it, love it.