For Cryin' Out Loud!

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I just spent the last 20 minutes in the restroom crying.

I was eating lunch at my desk, which is very common for me.

Left overs from last night's shrimp & brown rice w/veggies.

A co-worker came by & said "Oooo - that must be good! - Look at her, shoveling it in!"

Now - this co-worker is a perfectly nice person, & I know she didn't mean to hurt my feelings. BUT I JUST FELL APART.

I went to the restroom & just cried my eyes out. I am not mad at my co-worker. I know she didn't mean it the way it came out. But I have gained even MORE weight in the past couple of months while trying to maintain -cause while I am on this medicine, I obviously cannot lose a single ounce.

I am at my highest weight ever. 190. I have never felt like such a pig in my life.
  • Ooooh ....
  • Aww, I'm sorry. That's rough. At least you were eating something HEALTHY for you! Who cares if you're shoveling, as long as it's good for you and in the right portion size. Sorry that this happened.
  • You should have kicked her in the shin.

Nice lady or not, that was an insensitive and rude thing to say. I don't know her, but a comment like that would make me think she was a bit of a you-know-what

I'm sorry she said that to you
  • I was soooo bummed at myself for maintaining 150 for the past 6 months or so up to Christmas where I gained 18 pounds in like 3 months!!! I felt like such a failure and how dumb could I be not to keep up with my routine and now I have to lose the 18 all over again instead of 15 at 150 which would have brought me to goal but there is no way around it now. Your past mistakes caught up with you. Learn from them now. Dust yourself off and keep working. I went back on plan this past week and a half and I've already lost 5 pounds and feel great. You can do it!!

• I can totally understand how her comment, harmless or not, cut to your core. When people touch on sensitive issues for us, it can really sting, even when they don't intend to be mean! Remember, though, that you determine your own self-worth, your own strength. People with these little comments have nothing to do with what kind of person you are. What others say about you or your actions do not necessarily reflect reality.

And like peachcake said, look at what you were eating! Shrimp and rice and veggies. What could be a healthier lunch? Who is she to judge anything regarding what you were eating, or how you were eating it? Her judgment of you says nothing about you, and everything about her. Try not to take it to heart, the initial shock of it's over and you can move on with your day.

Losing weight while on medication is near impossible. Believe you are doing the best you can for yourself, and forget the random comment from your coworker. Hang in there!
  • I am so sorry to hear that you had to endure such a hurtful comment

Some people just don't think about what they say. She would've definitely got a dirty look from me.

I also am sorry to hear you have been having so much trouble lately
  • Is it possible for you to get out of the office and take like a 15 minute walk and get some fresh air. That always works for me when I find that I have to collect myself and my thoughts.

What the woman said was wrong, and she just shouldn't have said it. Be proud of yourself for still eating healthy!

I don't know what medication you are on but if you find that you are gaining weight but still eating healthy and exercising maybe its something that you want to talk to your doctor about.
  • Grrrrrr. Why in the world are some people so insensitive and out of line? Why? What WAS she thinking? Oh, she wasn't.

I'm so sorry this woman's negative comments came your way. And just as sorry to hear you are having a rough go of it. But please, give youself a break. You've got an unusual situation on your hands and it most certainly can not be easy.
  • Well, I had only taken about 4 bites.... but after the comment, I just kind of lost my appetite. I dumped the rest of the food.

I am usually not so sensitive... people have said much worse to me in the past, & I usually just shrug it off. But I am feeling extra-touchy lately because I am busting out of my size 14 jeans as I type this. And I thought I was going to get off this medication soon, but the doc told me if my blood levels were not "level" on the next check, I could expect to be on it another SIX MONTHS. I just got the call today.... way below & don't know why.

The medicine doesn't make me gain weight (said the doctor) and it doesn't cause fatigue (said the doctor) but all I know is that since I've been on the meds, (since August) I am sooooo tired all the time! - and I have gained 20+ pounds.

I am just having a really bad "fat day" today.
  • We all have "fat" days. Unfortunately, mine are not nearly as frustrating. Again, sorry that you're having a crappy time.
  • Thanks to you all for the hugs! I needed them!!
  • Regarding your medicine, have you talked to your doctor about possibly switching medications? Have you looked at another doctor for a second opinion? If you are going in the wrong direction and your medicine seems to be dragging you down, maybe its not the right answer for you.
  • Pay no attention to that thoughtless clod posing as a person. How dare she? I've said this b/4, there just ought to be a patch for stupidity. She'd have to get the extra big size.

I don't know what your medical situation is or why you are on meds, but just b/cause the doc is saying that the med doesn't cause wt gain or fatigue doesn't make him right. Look into it; read the side effects (the doc probably didn't). See if there are alternatives to what you are taking or perhaps more homeopathic remedies.

My brother had been having strange, odd symptoms off and on. His body temp would drop a degree or so but he would feel as if it was 102; fatigue; trouble sleeping; feeling awful. Doc after doc he went to test after test. Most just kept repeating the same tests that were already done by other docs. All completely ignored his body temp concern, ('why you do know that body temp fluctuates, right?') and they all said he was depressed and wanted to just give drugs for that and the trouble sleeping. Test after test came back ok, but he wasn't. Not one of those 'experts' actually listened to him. He finally ended up going to a doc that practices homeopathic medicine. He listened, did more tests (more specific tests based on my bro's symptoms) and it turned out that he has way high levels of mercury in his system. He's a self-described 'body ****' and was living off of fish - fresh, canned tuna, sushi - for years. Chelation has been a b!tch and he also tested positive (after a year of symptoms) for an intestinal yeast infection. Had he stayed w/the 'traditional' docs, he'd be in the nut house or dead. YOU know how you feel, not the doc. MAKE him take your complaints seriously or find another doc. I've found that most docs (not all, but nearly so) really don't give a crap about how you are 'actually' doing. They just want you in and out w/an easy dx. Just been my personal experience, that's all.

So sorry that woman was an a$$ to you with her stupid comment. I hope you're feeling better after your cry. Crying is very theraputic. Hang in there. And tell your doc to listen to you!
  • Quote: Regarding your medicine, have you talked to your doctor about possibly switching medications? Have you looked at another doctor for a second opinion? If you are going in the wrong direction and your medicine seems to be dragging you down, maybe its not the right answer for you.
    Hi Nelie -
    unfortunately, I don't have any choice with this med - it's a blood thinner, because I had pulmonary embolii - blood clots in my lungs - very life-threatening. Everytime I bring up my weight w/my doc, he reminds me that the medicine is "saving my life"... that being a little overweight & ALIVE is much better than "skinny & dead"..... & truly, who can argue with that?

It's just so damn frustrating. I've TRIED to lose weight by diet alone, and I just can't seem to do it. I average 1300-1500 calories per day (I use fitday) and I've done the math.... I have to eat at least 1800 per day to just maintain, so I should be LOSING on 1300-1500 per day. And believe me... I count EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING - even the cream in my coffee!

The best way for losing (for me) is exercise. And I'm just too darn tired. I walk up & down the stairs at my house & I am completely ready for a nap! I have been walking at work during lunch... but 15 minutes seems to be all I can handle. And apparently that is NOT enough.

So.... I'm sorry y'all... for such a big whiney fest. But I'm really down about this right now. Thanks for everyone's support - you are all very understanding!