Was my body telling me to eat more fat???

• I have been back on my diet, and while I haven't done out the ratios, I would say it constitutes as a low fat, reduced calorie diet. Other than some really painful bloating (too much fiber???- that's the only thing I can think of) I have felt fantastic, even after only 6 days (which always makes me wonder why it seems to easy to fall off the wagon.) However, today, all day, I had been craving the most bizarre thing: olive oil. It's all I could think about. So strange... so I came home from school and measured out two teaspoons of olive oil, sprinkled a spices on it (much like they do in a lot of italian restaurants) and dipped a single slice of bread in it. I felt so incredibly satisfied.... like my body just went "ahhhhhh". It was wonderful, LOL. So, is this a sign that I should try to start incorporating more healthy fats into my diet, or do you think this is just a fluke craving? (I am on my TOM)
  • I always have meat and chocolate cravings during TOM, whether this is a craving for fat, iron, or cocoa, I don't know. I do think cravings sometimes indicate an unmet need, sometimes are random, and sometimes involve a snowball or addiction affect.

Carbs, especially the refined "whites" like rice, bread, sugar... may truly be "addictive" in the sense that many people (definitely true of myself) find that the more they eat, the more they crave. Obviously if you're eating low fat, that wouldn't apply in your case.

So, the remaining possibilities are random craving, TOM craving, or your body needed the fat or something else in the olive oil (or it's possible a combination of any or all of the three). If you needed something specifically in the olive oil, or you needed fat and olive oil was the first to come to mind, or whether it was something else -- I don't think there's a way to tell for sure.

I think that if you continue to log your food, cravings, and keep track of TOM you may get some clues, but I'm not sure there's a way to prove conclusively one explanation over another.
  • Sometimes we have what I'd call 'memory' cravings. Remember how good such and such tasted? It is the weirdest thing. I will even have cravings for things I've never eaten before or things I've eaten and never really cared for. Cravings are an odd thing.
  • This is slightly off topic but... last night I dreamed I worked in the Publix bakery. Seriously. I am doing low carb so I guess my mind needed a break from it! I'm ok with it, as long as it only happens in my head!
  • Quote: Sometimes we have what I'd call 'memory' cravings. Remember how good such and such tasted? It is the weirdest thing. I will even have cravings for things I've never eaten before or things I've eaten and never really cared for. Cravings are an odd thing.
    You are totally my inspiration! Do you mind if I ask what plan you have used to lose so much and how long it has taken?

Ok, back on topic... It is quite possible that your body is looking for more fat. You might want to consider taking a flaxseed (1000mg) supplement with every meal.

Of course, it's quite possible that it's TOM talking too.