My 5K "run"

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I haven't mentioned this online yet, but yesterday I completed my 1st 5K "run" . Run is in quotes, because I figured I probably did 1/2 , 1/2 walking. I registered for this 2 weeks ago. My goal this time was not to come in last. I ranked 227 out of 238 (beat 2 others in my age group, and proudly beat out a 75 yr old man!).

Unfortunately the event was un-organized. Or, was I expecting more out of an event after my 1/2 marathon walk last November? When my friend forwards the pictures, I will have something to show for this. I will proudly be displaying my bib at my workstation, along with my 1/2 marathon bib.

On a treadmill I can do 3 miles in 40-42 minutes. On a elliptical trainer I can do it in 30 minutes. I was hoping to get this 5K (3.1 miles) done in 45 minutes. My overall time? 37:15 minutes !

My 1st attempt at in public. At the start, I took off too fast. I was going with the flow. I would walk a bit, find a landmark (like a telephone pole) and start darting off at that point. Several times people would pass me while walking. When I got into a sprint , I would overcome them. At the 2K mark, I was hearing this heavy breathing behind me. I knew this person was near, but unlike Job's wife, I didn't turn back. I was walking at this point. Had been for awhile. This person finally catches up to me and remarks I walk as fast as she jogs. I proclaimed I'm supposed to be ! She commented she had seen me several times. At this point I break into a jog, and we jogged together. We were about 1/4 mile away from the finish line (I wanted to cross with her), she told me I shouldn't slow down because of her, I should take off. A I went. I mean RUNNING . I saw that finish line in site, and the clock, and I gave it everything I had (a high).

There are many other /walks coming up. Organized by different groups. There is a 5 run, 10K walk/, etc. I really would like to participate more, but I want to "master" the 5k (no walking).

By the way the people in my age group that finished 1st-3rd place did it in like 18 minutes.

My shins started to hurt 1/2 way through. My left foot/ankle is still in pain (always have problems with the left leg, grrrr)
  • Congrats!

(so many smilies..hard to read lol!! )
  • Congrats!! I'm hoping to do my first 5k in May. You are an inspiration!!
  • Congadulations, Dude. I, too, have been thinking about getting involved in community events (possible the same community as I live in the central valley) as my husband has done so for years and he really enjoys it!

About the shin splints, though, I have read that if your shoes don't fit well it increases your chance of injury. Just a thought.

Well done and keep us posted on future events!
  • Well done!
  • Wow! Congrats on your achievement! That's awesome
  • Congrats on completing it!!! Isn't it fun as our fitness levels increase? Great job!
  • Quote: Congadulations, Dude. I, too, have been thinking about getting involved in community events (possible the same community as I live in the central valley) as my husband has done so for years and he really enjoys it!

About the shin splints, though, I have read that if your shoes don't fit well it increases your chance of injury. Just a thought.

Well done and keep us posted on future events!
    What part of central valley are you in? The run I did was in Clovis. If you are interested, I have some info here on upcoming events (Woodward park, Sanger, Madera, etc)
  • I am actually further south - near Bako - but sure, send me the info. I am not ready at this time but I would be excited to train for an event!
  • Congrats!
  • I am sure you have figured this out already, but those are 12 minute 1 second miles you did. That is totally awesome!!
  • Congratulations! You give hope to the rest of us that plan on doing 5Ks. Thanks!
  • You are incredible! I love to read your post! Keep doing what you are doing, you are very inspiring. Great job on the 5k. Careful, thought, they are very addicting! God bless. Jelly
  • Congratulations!! That is such an awesome accomplishment!

• Woohoo!!! That is an awesome accomplishment!!!