Recently discovered Panko

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Wonderful stuff! I can make oven-baked zucchini or eggplant slices that come out super crispy. But so far that's all I've done with it.

Can you guys give me ideas of what you like to do with yours?

• I love it too! I've used it to bread chicken, but I love your zucchini idea! Do you have a recipe to share?
  • I've had it sitting in my pantry for months but haven't used it yet. I have some recipes with it that I have yet to try. I like that Panko has so few ingredients versus bread crumbs.
  • I love panko. It's so very delicious, and much crunchier than breadcrumbs (at least, breadcrumbs without scads of oil). I use it on zucchini, chicken, calamari steaks, etc, etc. It feels very decadent without being all that terrible.
  • Love the stuff! Chicken breast strips I dredge in dijon mustard and sometimes curry powder too, or hot spices, and roll it in panko crumbs, bake at 425 till crispy.

I've done fish, mushrooms, vegetables, all sorts of stuff. It will stick very well to the base ingredient with low fat "stickers" egg beaters, mustard, low fat mayo, etc. and you can really spice it up too.
  • Quote: I love it too! I've used it to bread chicken, but I love your zucchini idea! Do you have a recipe to share?
    Well, it's not really a recipe, but I'd be happy to tell you what I do with both eggplant and zucchini........

I slice the eggplant or zucchini into 1/4 t0 1/2" slices, depending on how thick I want it. Then I dip the slices in egg white. Then I dip them into a mixture of Panko, parmesan cheese and basil (or whatever spices I'm in the mood for at the time). Then I lay the slices onto a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and stick them in the oven at about 400 degrees. I leave them in there until the slices become browned, then I flip them and stick them back in and get the other side browned as well.

Delicious and crunchier than bread crumbs.
  • Thanks for everyone else's ideas as well!
  • Would anyone mind posting the nutritionals? I think I saw this in Kroger a couple of weeks ago, but at the time I had no idea what to do with it. I just remembered seeing a recipe with it earlier and thought it interesting that I was seeing it in the store for the first time.
  • i have the Kikkoman brand here right now. 1/2 cup has 110 cals, .5g fat, 3g protein. But I've never eaten a 1/2 cup. That would be an awful lot.

LLV, I do the panko/parmesan zucchini chips too. Yummy!
  • I am so making the zucchini chips this weekend - we are going to have burgers and that sounds like an awesome side dish.
  • Panko-crusted salmon is one of my FAVORITE salmon dishes ever. SO YUMMY!

All I do is dredge a salmon steak through a mixture of sweet/hot mustard and some low-sodium teriyaki, and then dredge again through a mixture of panko, dried thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. I also like to add a little red pepper flake to it, but that's totally optional and could easily be left out if you aren't a fan of spicy foods.

I usually roast mine in the oven for about 12 minutes. Throw together a light salad and voila!

Also, if you enjoy scallops, they're SO good just rolled through some panko and then quickly sauteed in some olive oil.
  • Oooh scallops and panko. Yum! I'm going to do that.
  • If you're a seafood fan, shrimp very lightly coated with panko and then grilled is so yummy.

My mom and I really love bell peppers, and one thing we often do is cut bell peppers into wide strips, roll them through a very shallow layer of buttermilk, then roll through a mixture of panko and Parmesan cheese. They're SO good baked!
  • I made the panko-breaded zucchini on Saturday night - they were DELISH. They tasted a lot like onion rings (although to be fair, it's been a long time since I've had an actual onion ring) and I dipped them in ketchup. Mmmm crunchy goodness. I found whole wheat panko and everything!
  • Just discovered this myself! I used it the other night on some lean pork chops I had-delicious!