Heart Rate Monitors?

• How many people have HRMs? I would like one that tells me how calories I burned, but want to know are they pretty accurate? I walk 5-6 days a week and think it would be helpful to know if I need to bump up my workout. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want one that works. Anyone used the strapless kind? I don't know if the ones with the chest strap will fit me. I saw the MIO Shape Select for $51, has anyone used this? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    --Misty
  • I have a Polar F4 HRM--it's about $100, I think, give or take $15. It does have a chest strap, but it tracks heart rate and calories--and it bases the calorie count on your HR through the workout, and on your height, weight, age and gender (you program this info into the HRM when you take it out of the package). I think if you have an HRM that keeps constant track of your HR and requires you to enter all the information about yourself, it'd work just fine (I don't know if the MIO has you enter that information). I think that Polar has different sized straps you can order--The one I have is "Medium" and the adjustable strap could double the size I need to use it. I don't know anything about the MIO, though.
  • I have the MIO Sport select and love it! It doesn't have a chest strap, just the watch part. I think it's fairly accurate. They cost around $60. Takes a just a minute to set up with your age, gender, height, weight, etc. It calculates calories burned, has a timer and a stopwatch feature. It's a little bulky, not exactly a watch you'd want to wear all day everyday, but it works great!