Why does it help to be told?

• I went to the chiropractor yesterday and she went on and on about my wieght. She said she think I look like I lost more than the 25..almost 30!...pounds I've lost. I told her I am in a funk right now and she said it's because I'm gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but it's denser. Hence the reason I'm seeing inches go bye bye but not pounds. Soon, she didn't say how soon soon was, I'll be seeing the pounds drop again because the muscles will "eat" or use the fat.

I already know this but I was feeling so good when I left there. She was telling me I need new clothes because the ones I wear are too loose to show off the new slimmer me. I have some but I don't wear them to work or I'll get them all dirty.

Then she told me she's never seen my neck in such good shape. My butt was out, just as I had thought, and I had a rib out..I knew this because I felt it INSTANTLY the other night, but all in all I was in better condition than ever. Think it's from all the water? She also brought it to my attention, because I just haven't thought about it, that I haven't had sinus problems in a LONG time. Gosh it feels good to be getting healthy!

Oh, and then when I stepped on the scale this morning, no I didn't hide it, I was 171! Cross your fingers that it holds tight or goes lower before I weigh in tomorrow. And also, think about me when I do my Biggest Loser weigh in at work today. I'm asking to do it this morning to see if it's truer to my scale when I haven't eaten and such.
  • yea for you!!! it does help to hear other people say that they can tell that you have been losing weight. it makes all the hard work worth the effort!
    i don't like buying new clothes because i want to lose more and i want to wait for as long as possible so i don't have to keep buying new clothes. it does feel good to get new clothes in smaller sizes though!
  • Now see????

It's really true that things like chiropractic issues often clear up with weight loss. In my case, because fat collects around my midsection in front, my lower back really suffered when I was heavier. And of course, becoming more fit and improving my abdominal muscle strength meant that my back has more support now.

As for muscle versus fat, think of it this way: 1 pound of fat = 1 pound of muscle, but because muscle is a denser tissue, 1 pound of muscle takes up less space. So, you can be losing inches even if the scale isn't moving too much.

Your chiropractor is right about muscle being one of the primary tissues, if not THE primary tissue, that burns fat for energy. That's why exercise helps so much! Toned muscle keeps your metabolism going even after you stop exercising.

Good for you, Lynsey!

Jay
  • Great Job Lynsey! It must have been great to have all your hard work noticed
  • Lyndsey...i'm so happy for you. It does feel great when people tell us those wonderful things...even if we already mentally know them. Congrats on dropping inches. I can't wait to start dropping some inches. I am getting with a trainer next month and hope i can really start seeing some progress before summer. CONGRATS!!!
  • Here's another idea you might want to try
    I have been having my DH take photos of me as I lose weight. I decided to do every 25 lbs. It felt like "forever" for me to get to that point but I made it. You can view them on my diet-blog 3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/pixtosee or "Seeing is Believing".

Even though we don't see the differences ourselves since we look at ourselves usually in a distorted way getting a candid photo does illustrate it in ways that only you can imagine.

Yes, it was hard to do the first one and I was scared that the second one, after 25 lbs lost, wouldn't show much but others do notice.

Are you also measuring yourself with a tape measure. Again, I hated doing that too but I am really glad that I did because after 25 lbs lost I had also lost 9 1/2 inches overall.

Good luck, yes and other health problems will start disappearing as well. I could go on about the ones I am seeing vanish too. Isn't it wonderful??
    Who knew???