Absolutely Clueless! Taking any advice/suggestions/information I can get!

• Goal: I'd like to start some weight/strength training.

Issues: I'm SUPER beginner. Never done anything like it. Completely lost Also, if possible, I'd prefer to avoid having to go to a gym. (But again, open to all suggestions! I'm too new to rule anything out ahead of time.)

A little bit of background if needed: I began eating healthier & doing light walking back in April 2007. Around August 2007 I started walking more consistently & intensely. I'm still walking 45-60 minutes , 5 days a week (usually 2-3 separate times each day add up to 45-60), and on the weekends I've been doing a yoga dvd or Richard Simmons video. (Yes, it's okay to laugh that I actually work out to a Richard Simmons video, I think it's hilarious, too ^^)

I've been thinking about my exercise more lately, and realize that it is time for me to start building a little muscle now. I've read through some of the stickies in this area and learned a few interesting things (like fat doesn't "turn into" muscle, and muscle doesn't really "weigh less than" fat it just takes up less room) and those facts are definitely good to know in order to keep me going, but now I need to know how to start. I also know that it'd be easy for me to injure myself, knowing near nothing. I'd really like to avoid that! I'm excited about this though, and eager to get going!

Thanks to everyone in advance for any information you're able to give me Or even for just pointing me in the right direction!
  • My advice would be to read over the stickies on this forum. There is lots of good advice there that could be repeated here for you.

You don't NEED a gym. You can workout at home and many of us do. One good thing about a gym is that you can get someone in person to help you. Although there are personal trainers that work outside of gyms. Maybe you even have a community center or YMCA that you could visit a few times and get a personal trainer?

Again, you can learn on your own but my general recommendation for an absolute beginner is to get a few sessions with a personal trainer to learn about weights in person.
  • A great website for beginners is Krista's She has lots of diagrams/pictures, and things you can do at home. Weight training is great! Glad you decided to give it a try.
  • Thank you Nelie & WaterRat for your responses!
  • Good for you for taking things a step further. I guarantee once you get going you'll love it!

A good place to start is with some body weight exercises & movements that use more than one muscle group at once (ie. squats, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, etc.)

I personally love going to the gym & getting a personal trainer was the absolutely the best thing I ever did for myself.
  • Thanks, Lifeguard!