Places I never knew I had places!

• Oh my ouch! I rode my bike to school today (15 min each way), and am SORE. I hurt in places I never knew I had places.

I'm gonna do this every day, any thoughts on how long it's likely to take me to build up enough stamina not to feel like a puddle of goo after?
  • It's hard to say how long it'll take you to "not to feel like a puddle of goo after" .... because everyone varies but guaranteed in a month at the most you'll be feeling a LOT better about exercising...

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...
  • i found it gets easier ever day with in a week or two you will be looking back and laughing at your self
  • I definitely agree that it'll get easier every day. I bought an elliptical two weeks ago, and I couldn't go five minutes without stopping. Now I can go a full 25 minutes without stopping, although I still get that puddle of goo feeling right at the end.
  • Ouch - biking can definitely test those muscles. Try not to overdo it at first, and you'll be feeling better within a few days.
  • I used to bike a lot, back before I had an accident and mangled me and my bike ('fraid to get a new one now ). Each spring it would take me a good week to readjust - and by this I mean not feel like my legs were about to turn to rubber and collapse under me the first few steps after dismounting. There was another week of general soreness because I would usually go hog wild biking everywhere those first couple of weeks. I get a serious case of cabin fever after the long winters - once spring arrives you can't keep me inside for more than two seconds at a time

I don't know if you already have one, but do you have a woman's saddle (seat) on your bike? Most bikes come with a men's saddle and they're not wide enough for our bones - you'll get really sore 'down there' really quickly if you're using one made for guys.

BP
  • After my "places" didn't stop hurting, I started wrapping towels around the seat, but finally I caved and got a new super squishy bike seat and that makes biking more enjoyable and easier to do everyday.
  • I have an ergonomically correct seat for women that helps a LOT with the soreness...
  • Hi all - thanks for the tips. I'm about a week out, although I didn't ride EVERY day like I thought I would. Still, I can see some improvement already. My quads still burn when I ride, and I get a little jittery afterward, but I'd say I've progressed from "puddle of goo" to just "mushy but vertical"

I really like biking, but I'm a little skittish of the cars and the big snow ruts. I didn't fall off at all today though! The route I take isn't very long at all - it takes about 15 minutes, and I probably don't go over 10 mph. So all told, by dividing it into 2 15 min sessions it seems to be getting better pretty fast.

I have a really good bike seat (I think) that is super squishy and kinda has shocks so I don't bruise, um, back there.

BP - scary accident? I'm glad you are OK. Thanks for the tips.