how much fluctuation from one day off plan?

• I went to a buffet yesterday, and well...it didn't go very well. I ate way too much. I weighed myself this morning and I was up 3.5 lbs from Saturday. I know I did not over 10,000 calories too much! I am hoping some of that was salt and water. I'm back on plan today.

How much does your scale fluctuate from day to day? It drives me crazy! I weigh in "officially" tomorrow and hope to still show a loss for last week.

Thanks-
    Sherry
  • Hey Sherry,

Well mine has been fluctuating lately, by as much as 6 pounds! Got some wise advice to stop weighing so much and be more forgiving to the scale because all kinds of things can affect your weight. For me, I decided to start taking measurements too, cause sometimes you can lose inches but not pounds; that way we can get a loss somewhere LOL Of course there are ladies here that are more versed in this than I, so that's just my 2 cents
  • I can fluctuate several pounds within any given day without a problem. And that's when it's not TOM. You ate a lot of food. Don't forget it takes over a day to digest it and excrete it! So some of that might be the weight of the food itself! Not to mention water retention issues if there's a lot of sodium.

The important issue is not to give up because of one day off plan. You didn't get overweight because of one day, but a string of days. You can easily remedy any damage by just getting back on track!!
  • Those extra pounds might still be there tomorrow, but if you stick to plan they will fall back off...just maybe not on your timing. When I have a one night/meal binge it can take 2-3 days to feel normal again, and for the scale to go back to where I was before. A lot of it is sodium...buffets are loaded with sodium and fat, that's why the stuff tastes so good!

Give yourself a break and know it will go back down, just make this a lesson for next time...a big salad before you even look at the rest of the food can help at a buffet.

BUT, you might consider not weighing in until that bloated feeling goes away, even if it means skipping your offical weigh in this week and just doing it next week...you'll see anything you lost this week plus for the next week, so you would be losing nothing but that disappointment of seeing those 3 lbs still there.

I do believe in learning lessons from mistakes on this journey..and the damage of a buffet is one I learned long ago...I always felt so miserable walking out of those places.
  • Chances are most of it is indeed water weight and like Heather said, the sheer volume of the food.

What's done is done. Life happens. In the big scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. Get right back to plan and you'll have those pounds off and some of his buddies before you know it. Remember one off day every now and then is not what got us to be so heavy, but 2 off days in a row and then 3......... So yeah, get right back to it.
  • This happens to me, I get so discouraged because of weight fluctuations . Don't worry about what happened, just focus on how you can avoid it next time, or certain ideas that you could use if the situation arose again (such as limiting yourself to certain foods on the buffet).

Damn buffets are always so good.
  • Hi,

Thank you for your advice and support. I knew about the buffet in advance (family gathering) and ate a Fiber One before going. I really didn't too badly with the actual food, but had dessert, which I think is what made me feel way too full and horrible.

I'm back on plan today (including exercise) I may weigh tomorrow, or push it off until Tuesday. I will see.

Thanks again!
    Sherry
  • jeesh, I hope not too much from one day off plan. I did pretty good all week, then today we had a family Christmas party, prob 70 ppl and LOTS of food. I went overboard, not way way overboard, but overboard none the less.
  • Buffets are . Dh loves them....
  • ugh--- what man DOESN'T love a buffet? Well, really, what fat person in general doesn't love a buffet? I'm a volume eater--- I can do some MAJOR damage at one of those