Tmi?

• I am having some mad constipation and am at the end of week 1. Has anyone else had this problem? I am eating a ton of rough vegetables including celery, lettuce, spinach, and greens mixes. I am nervous about taking laxatives, because there is a history in my family of using those for weight loss and then having major intestinal problems.

What's a chick to do?
  • lots of the girls including myself have had this problem, just keep eating your veggies and drink lots of water.... you can take medimuical(sp?)
  • I get this issue sometimes, particularly on Ph1, and I've read lots of posts from other chicks discussing this problem. Once I start Ph2 and begin eating oatmeal or 1 serving of fruit/day, it resolves. An apple a day really does do the trick.
    In the meantime, make sure you are drinking LOTS of water.
    Make sure you are eating enough of the vegetables (4.5 cups/day).
    I would give it a couple of days, but if this doesn't help, you might want to consider sugar free metamucil or benefiber.
    Hope things are moving right along for you soon!
  • Thanks for that help - I will try some sugar free fiber drinks! Hope, hope, hopefully this goes away soon, because my guess is that it's affecting my weight loss.

Gosh... I can't wait for my first bowl of oatmeal!!
  • I'm with you there. When I'm on Ph2, I don't mind eating eggs for breakfast most days because I know I can have oatmeal if I really want it, but I'd rather save my bread for later in the day. But on Ph1, when I know I can't have it, I dream about it!
  • In a word....LEGUMES! They really do help as long as you make sure you are getting water.
  • I agree with Ruthie, who I believe was the one who ordered me to eat some beans when I was having that problem. Since then, I've had plenty of bathroom celebrations! I even had one this morning!
  • Weezle I thought of you this morning when I read this original post.
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies! I ate a bunch of beans for supper tonight, so I'm hoping that does the trick before I have to resort to yucky Metamucil :/
  • Jicama is very fiber-rich and always helps me in this regard. Plus, for me, it's one of the most enjoyable snacks out there (squeeze a little lime juice on the slices..yumm).
  • Another idea.....
    Besides, legumes( which are my favorite) how about trying other veggies with some muscle to them?

I looked over what kind of vegetables you are eating. How about some stronger stuff like raw cauliflower or broccoli. Both are higher in fiber than the leafy sorts of vegetables you are eating. Also, I would try some of the ones like raw cabbage, kale, swiss chard, even the lowly cucumber. Make a Phase 1 relish out of vinegar and oil and add some spices and eat as a finger food. Limp lettuce does nothing for your plumping. It is just plain wimpy wimpy wimpy. Just window dressing. You want the real deal, girl.

I don't know how you are eating your eggs or if you are eating turkey bacon but the oils that I cook them in gets me hopping to the john, not to be confused with hoppin john which actually does get you hopping to the john too. I never realized that maybe is why that dish is called that. Hmmmm
  • Pamatga - Thanks for the advice!! I was actually eating a LOT of broccoli and cauliflower. And I'm eating scrambled eggs with turkey sausage for breakfast, so I'm not sure what the deal was. I'm drinking 3 glasses of berry metamucil every day, and it's actually not that bad. I successfully went #2 last night, but will continue to eat those heartier veggies and drink the fiber