hemp protien

• I cannot believe that I am actually raving about a powdered protein mix, but seriously..

I am constantly on the search for a breakfast substitute because I can't stand eating in the mornings, but i need something in my system in order to keep me energized and not hungry until lunch or snack time. On my most recent trip to whole foods, I picked up a package of living harvest hemp protein... I am not normally a huge fan of protein shakes but the sale price and the pretty packaging intrigued me. I grabbed a vanilla spice flavor because i was a little scared of what the original might taste like..
    a serving has 8g of fiber, 9g of protein, all sorts of vitamins and minerals, not to mention it's a good source of omega 3s, and only 130 calories.
    I tried it this morning for the first time - I mixed it with one serving of the original hemp milk - another 130 calories but another gram of fiber and 4 more grams of protein.
    260 calories is a little higher than i normally go on breakfast (usually i drink a slim fast, which i really don't mind the taste of but they have an underlying chemical taste to me. if i don't do that, i have a yogurt and piece of fruit which probably comes out to 240/250 calories anyway)

anyhow.. ok.. the mix itself is kind of green/brown which is kind of scary, but it SMELLS fantastic, not like whey or soy proteins which make me gag.
    I couldn't find my hand blender or a blender cup this morning so i did just mix the milk and powder together with a fork.. it blended well but stayed kind of.. chunky? no pockets of powder but definite "stuff" floating in my drink, like suspended animation. I tasted the plain hempmilk before i mixed in the mix and the taste was mild and a little nutty - I could definitely drink it alone.
    After that, I tasted it and WOW... definitely the best tasting protein drink i have EVER had. so what if there were bits floating in suspended animation in it!
    It did have kind of an aftertaste, that i can't quite put my finger on, but it's not unpleasant at all.. this was by FAR the best "nutritional" drink i've ever had. I am not hungry now, my stomach is not upset like it often is after eating early in the morning, and i feel like i made a good choice.

anyway, i'm rambling because it's early but what i wanted to say is that this is fantastic!
  • that sounds like a good find. If i see some at my heatlh food store, I'll give it a try. What's the package look like?
  • it's really.. pretty... lol that doesn't sound like much.
    uhm, they're very nicely designed - the three flavors are original (green package), vanilla spice (kind of a tan), and chococalte chili (a dark brown/maroonish)
    the website is livingharvest.com so that might help a little more than i can