The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

You're on Page 3 of 13
Go to
  • Yay! Yay, Sue. So glad you chould check in.

Now if I knew where everyone else posting here lives, I could worry about them for the rest of the day!
  • Whew! So glad to hear from coastalsue! Our thoughts are with you Sue-having no power for multiple days is NOT fun. Yes, our country can learn from the basic concept of supply and demand and be prepared and proactive. Moment of silence on that.

That clothing hanging thing is so true! There is nothing like the feeling of a contant binding waistband or the feeling of the waist of your shirt touching where it didn't touch before. It really does affect a person's mood/demeanor/outlook. The same goes when clothing really fits and is RIGHT for the body. Yes, we should be dressing our bodies with things that make us feel our best no matter our weight.

I love the discussions going day by day with no pressure to have a one to one ratio of Beck days to days of the week. I am rereading so already feel like I have my plans established but I would still love to discuss and am open to changing or refining based on my new learnings/insights.

Welcome Moxieds! I am one of the people who have both the book and the workbook. I like having both but the basic difference is that the book goes into more depth. The workbook has places to write, lists and is softcover, larger in length/width but thinner so is easier for me to take in a bag. I like to look at both. I agree that to really get the ideas, reading Judith's writing is the way to go. One of the steps/strategies is to find a diet coach. This group is my collective "diet coach" and I think that that is true for some others as well. Our conversations are a great supplement to that-discussing what we have read and sharing experiences with the common philosphy and desire in mind.

Today, I am going to do my new "Dancing with the Stars Cardio" dvd. Tease me all you want about it friends but my body will be moving!

Have a wonderful day!

til tomorrow, Heidi
  • Hi everyone!

I would really like to join in on the discussions here. I've been on 3FC before (waving hi at Ann from the WW board!!) but I have just discovered the Beck Diet Solution and I'm very excited about it. I've been listening to the audiobook version and have ordered the book from Amazon. Today is Day 6 for me (5 pounds gone already!!) and so now I am seeking a "diet coach". This group looks like the coach for me, and of course I would be very happy to help coach all of you as well, in whatever way I can.

So first of all I would like to share my Advantages Response card with you:

Looking and feeling better
    Better health
    Decrease depression
    Better performance in running and yoga
    Role modeling for my daughter
    More energy
    Longer life
    Better self-esteem
    More confidence
    Helping my family to eat healthy
    Better sex(!)
    More options for physically active hobbies
    More fun shopping
    Looking better in more kinds of clothes
    A sense of accomplishment
    Better first impressions on people
    Looking great in a bathing suit!!
    New concerto gown

This last begs some explanation - I am a pianist and will be premiering a new piano concerto in March. I'd really like to look smokin' in a new evening gown having lost 15# or so by then!

looking forward to meeting all of you,
    Erika
  • Welcome Erika (eusebius)
    to the Beck discussion group Erika (eusebius)

There's always room for one more here.

P.S. Does your moniker refer to Pope Saint Eusebius? If so, you're the first pope on this thread.

Had fresh blueberries with my granola yesterday (on sale for $0.99 for a 4.4 oz. container). My apologies for contributing to global warming by flying these from Chile, but they sure helped me ignore that it was below freezing outside.

Another item from my Advantages Response Card:
    Avoid the prejudices directed to a FAT person
    The prejudices exist or I project that they exist. In either case it affects my interaction with the world. When I first wrote this on my Card, I was embarrassed at the thought that I could also hold prejudice about fat people. So, I've been drawn to confront that and to work to put it aside when I encounter other fat people.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Glad you're OK.

MaryBlu - Your comment hit me: "To use Beck effectively, you need to read, and reread the book." Methinks I'm getting more from the introductory chapters on the second reading.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - TEASE, TEASE - Heidi does "Dancing with the Stars Cardio" [ /font=middle school]

Erika (eusebius) - I'm moved that your Advantages include "Role modeling for my daughter." Added that to my Card for my two adult children.

Readers - "It takes time for new ideas to sink in and to become proficient at changing your ideas and behavior." Beck, pg 47.

Sue, I am glad you are okay. From what we have seen on the news it is really bad in California.

Welcome Erika....It is nice to see you. Which diet plan are you choosing with BDS?

Maryblu, as I an going through the workbook, some of my responses on the DDS questionnaire have changed. Yeah,,,,I think some of what I read originally I am practicing.

Heidi, Enjoy your Dancing. I love to dance like no one is watching, in my house of course, my DS dances around the living room with me. We have so much fun and it is exercise I hadn't counted on. I too like the workbook. I find it easier to take everywhere with me. I am not worried about it. The hardcover book I am worried about damaging. The workbook is like a scratch pad for me, as I am reading I highlight, and write things in it.

Bill, you wrote Readers - "It takes time for new ideas to sink in and to become proficient at changing your ideas and behavior." Beck, pg 47.
    , as I read this, I realized that I want things to happen now, today, this moment. I need to understand that it does take time and that is okay. I think I need to be more patient with this whole thing.
    I do hope the weather gets warmer in your area.

Hello to Cammie, SuchATwin, Moxieds, Avvocata and anyone else I missed.

Well, I am off for a run have a great day everyone.

Take Care
    Ann
  • Good Morning to all

Welcome to Erika-loved your grahics-what a great skill and talent to doing a piano concerto- whose work will you be doing? thanks for posting your advantages card.Had lot which works for me too.

It is nice to have power again-While the media had dire forecast for our coastal area, we were very lucky over the many other parts of the state. Along with no power even the local radio( the only one we can get on our portable) was out. Newspaper were not getting delivered up here from the Bay Area. The rumors were going wild about no power for up to a week-Maybe if the 2nd storm had the strong winds as projected that would have been true. Really worried about some of our children and possible trees falling on their place. Right now all is well for our family while others have suffered much.

I am ready to be a Becker again. I went to the store on Friday-power already out with many days of outage being predicted- to get some raw veggies for the duration. Store had a generator-but it would not keep the ice cream cold enought so there was free-take all you want ice cream. Ok Bill you uderstand the draw for Free Food. The kids were running around the store with plastic spoons eating the ice cream out of cartons. Yep I took one Ben and Jerry's -Only later did I count the Calories-600 for one cup of ice cream. YIPES

Hey Cammiecam-Bonjour-glad you had a grand time in Paris!

There is so many posting which have given much to ponder, relate to and learn from.

Bill ,so relate to the idea that Weight that distorts all other medical advise A Pet peeves is the medical profession dealing any symptom as a result of my obesity. I was teaching in my 50's. I Knew I was exhausted unlike normal teaching-not just because I was a fat teacher-The Doctor just keep dismissing it due to my weight. After a month of me pushing it, the tests were done and surprise, surprise I had mono. Recovery was much harder because I keep working so long and was so exhuasted.

Folks I am working on my new advantage list. I want to include the goal of losing weight because I have learn new attitudes toward food. Learning that the primary power of food in life is for a healthy body and not for emotional support.

Thanks to everyone for the posting -I need this daily check in to help stay on track, love sharing the successes and ideas on how to learn how to do this stuff.
    sue
  • The Genius of Beck
    I really do believe it! She is a genius.

I was thinking about what our discussion for day two would be.....choosing 2 diet plans....mostly was going to encourage anyone who wanted to share his or her plans to please do so....and was also going to suggest that some of us might find it unneccesary and even sorta redundant, given that probably 75% + of the posts on 3FCs discuss said same.

Then the genius of her requiring us to pick two plans before we even start really hit me.

I am not sure I am going to be able to say it clearly, but I know one of you will!!! It's such a message, that if we get off track, we already have a backup plan....it is just one more piece of insurance that we can't fail....if we get off track, if the first diet fails; there is no reason, no excuse to quit, because we have another right there and ready to go. Please, someone say this better!

I really like her suggestion to rank in priority order our Advantage Responses.
    I think my # 1 reason is:

Being thin makes me feel so much younger.

I am talking about the psychological "high" of feeling younger. Obviously, being overweight ages your appearance as much as smoking or aging your skin in the sun, but I am talking about that young, light-hearted feeling.
    It feels so good! Getting younger feels good!

Rock on!
  • Good evening everyone,

I feel proud of what I accomplished today. In the morning I had a big fight with my little daughter about clothes. Afterwards I felt very sad and on the brink of tears for a couple of hours. I suffer from depression and it is generally under control with antidepressants and yoga, but sometimes it rears its ugly head and I end up eating to stuff it down. Not this time! I went to church and felt much better afterwards, then ate healthy for the rest of the day. The advantages response card, etc., certainly didn't hurt!

Day 7 is here for me and I moved some food around a bit, but mostly my environment isn't a big problem for me ... we don't have candy dishes or chips lying around, and I don't work in a traditional office setting. So that's a blessing. What I would like to change about my environment is the convenience store being too darn close to the house! LOL

Bill - Thanks for the welcome!! LOL, no, I'm not Pope Eusebius ... the name refers to one of the characters the composer Schumann created in his writings. (You can see Clara Schumann there in my avatar ...) My PhD diss was about Schumann so I got into the habit of using that as a screen name.
    BTW I'm totally floored by your success in weight loss!! Fabulous! You are the same height as my DH ... I would love to see him have similar success. Also I love your thoughtful posts!

Ann - Great to see you here as well! I am still doing WW Flex and may go back to posting on that board as well. My backup plan is counting calories, perhaps with the help of eDiets, as that was successful for me in the past.

Hi Sue - Thanks for your kind words! The concerto was written by a friend of mine who lives here in Hamilton ON. I am thrilled to have the opportunity. The thing is hard though and I am stressing out a bit about learning it in time.
    Glad to hear that you made it through the storm OK and you are back on track with raw veggies!! I sure love Ben & Jerry's though. I visited their factory on my honeymoon many years ago

Maryblu - Is that you in your avatar? You're gorgeous It is true that JB's idea of picking TWO diet plans is very clever indeed!

Well everyone, I've got a super early morning tomorrow so time to relax with some tea and get ready for sleep. Talk to you soon
    cheers
    Erika
  • Hi there peeps (pardon the pun since we are on the 3 fat CHICKS site and all...),
    CoastalSue: so glad that the storm hasn't severely affected you or your family. I am glad that you are hanging in there! I cannot imagine my response to "free ice cream" and with people running around eating it right then and there in a frenzy.

MaryBlu: You said it very well-Beck IS genious!! I think that about so many of the responses to sabotaging thoughts that she asks us to be ready for ahead of time.

I am doing this the second time around and my food plans have changed. I am sort of doing WW but not using their site or counting points. So what AM I doing that is WW? I have done WW so much that I know about how much to eat and when I first found my sp site I began recording what I was eating (based on WW) and seeing the nutrient value and calories, etc... I realized that the points was a game for me. I found myself saying, "how much of xyz can I have today?"... it felt like this type of thinking didn't help me in my quest to "eat like a thin person". I want to address hunger, eating to comfortable, etc.. and not eat as much as I can for my points. I am NOT knocking WW at all-just realizing that it isn't for me right now in it's full program state. I have been eating within a certain number of calories and aiming for ranges of healthy amounts of the different food groups and nutrients. My second plan would be WW flex plan until I find something else that sounds healthy/balanced and right for me.

Bill-leave it to you to tease me huh? Loved the middle school font... you are a piece of work my friend! Avoiding fat people prejudice is a good one (advantage). I do know what you mean. It is good for all of us to think about our own prejudices toward fat people-thanks for bringing that up.

One more thought I had today was that I feel like I am beginning to feel the benefits of losing weight. I still have a long way to go but I find that I am looking people in the eye more, wanting to connect more with people instead of be rushed/focused/whatever excuse I had for it. I struggle with depression-it is mainly managed well with meds and therapy but it has continued to be a thin blanket over me... I feel like I am having periods of time where it is lifting! When Bill talked about fat people prejudice, I thought of how I am "connecting more with people" and feel that people are connecting more with me too. I am still fat, but presenting myself a little differently, open to more interaction, more confident or something. I am still sorting it out but somethign is happening that is good! There is fat people prejudice, I believe that this is true.

Newlifestyle: I definitely fight that wanting things to come quickly and have immediate results. I am trying REALLY hard to credit even the small things that I do that go toward me reaching my goals. It will be something that I work on for a long time-it is STRONG!

Question for those that are maintaining: Do you feel like the advantages to having lost weight is helping you do what needs to be done to maintain? Sometimes I think that past efforts at weight loss have not "stuck" because after losing, there wasn't a visible "return" on the efforts. Does this make sense? I think that having those reasons for losing weight solidified into my mind are really great since MOST are about good health, living a full life, etc...
  • Monday Monday, Can't Trust That Day
    Felt soooo good to be above 40 degrees F yesterday. The water wasn't frozen on the local pond; both Common Mergansers and Hooded Mergansers were out.

Another item from my Advantages Response Card:
    Improved Flexibility - Comfortably get in and out of cars. Exit boat during hurricane evacuation.
    I was slow to admit that my maneuverability was decreased by my weight. "Hurricane evacuation" refers to Katrina; watching a large woman on the news requiring much assistance to get out of a rescue boat was one of the triggers to starting my healthy lifestyle journey.

Food plan is portion control. DW makes a thoughtful, nutritionally balanced dinner every night; my contribution is to eat portions that are her size and to avoid taking seconds. I make my breakfast (granola) and bring my lunch to work (leftovers, beans, veggies). My backup plan is to reduce the generous rules I allow for restaurants (extra 25 to 50%) and special occasions (extra 50 to 100%). I rarely use the wide range, but having a big safety net keeps me from passing that breaking point where I give up responsibility and eat everything in sight. My backup plan is to reduce my portion sizes and to restrict my extras when eating out.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Congratulations for taking only one FREE Ben and Jerry's. Hope I never have to face that one. Just sitting here I am picturing how many pints I could carry and wondering whether I'd be willing to knock over the little kids to get the last pint of Swiss Almond Vanilla - a trigger flavor for me.

MaryBlu - I think you're onto something about the backup food plan. The more we can reduce the notion that we're in a unique situation for which no previous rules apply, the more we can stay in touch with all our sane emotions and intelligence for making wise choices.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - LOL, you remind me of the prayer: "Lord, grant me patience. NOW."

Heidi (hbuchwald) - LOL at "peeps" - trying to identify. I DO identify with the notion of beating the rules of the game rather than working for a healthy lifestyle. I personally couldn't have an eating plan that included a "zero points soup." My response to that would be soooo irrational that it would eclipse my current response to FREE food.

I'm maintaining and I DO feel that the advantages already realized help keep me on track. Which is good, because that takes the place of the endorphin thrill of watching the scale numbers dropping. For example, I note and enjoy each time I climb 3 flights of stairs without being winded. I frequently note the small maneuverings that increased flexibility allows me.

Erika (eusebius) - Congratulations on your recovery from the stress of working with your daughter without using food. That was a classic Beck strategy. Glad to hear you're not the Pope, LOL; I feel more comfortable already.

Readers - "If you struggle with weight loss, you have a different mindset about food and eating than people who don't struggle with their weight." Beck, pg 43.

I do not have anything to contribute at the moment. Just know that I am so enjoying the posts. Sue, I am so glad you are safe. Heidi, where did you find your video? It sounds like one I would like.
  • Oops. I meant to say hello and welcome to Moxie. Your success is an inspiration to me.
  • Hello everyone

I do hope you all had a successful day, in whatever way you measure success for you.

I too like how Beck tells us to pick two diet plans so that if the first one isn't working for us, we can move to the second diet plan instead of giving up because we are struggling with the first plan. Also Beck's suggestion that we modify the diet in advance rather than on the spot makes sense to me. I do believe this is why people who plan their "cheats" (for lack of a better word) don't go crazy when the have them as they are controlled and planned rather than making a decision on the spot. I know it depends on my mood when I am making decisions. If my food is all planned out for the day, I do much better than if I am winging it.
    I am excited committing to a diet plan, and even having a back up.

Have a great night everyone.
    Take Care
    Ann
  • Handing off Beck!
    I can't believe it, dear Beckies, but it has been a week since we began our Beck study group. I look forward to the discussions led by whoever steps up and starts us on day 3. I confess, I have been reading ahead... You know I am the rebellious one.

I really have to say, it has been enjoyable "leading" the discussion. It is kinda the old adage, if you want to really learn something, teach it. There were so many lines in Beck that I read and just had to share!

Thanks to all ...everyone for the great thoughts and discussion.

M