Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ and Gettin' Fit after 40 #136

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

: :
Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #2  

Morning ladies,

The start of another week. Another week where we can make a difference in our health.

I was reminded of an old challenge that we used to do here in the group. This is of 2Cute's design. The challenge was to see how many points you could accumulate during a month by meeting four daily goals. She also had lots of fun things you could do for extra points but I am not that creative.

The four things were to simply journal, at least 20 minutes of exercise a day, pick a food plan and stay on it, and drink 64 oz of water. All the things that are the basics of our being successful. Nothing magical. Nothing fancy.

I have to admit that I was almost sucked into the Michael Thurmond Six Week Body Makeover vortex by seeing his infomercial yesterday morning. I even woke DH up and asked if he would give it a try starting after the holidays and would he mind if I ordered it. Then I regained some sense of sanity and checked it out here on 3FC. The greatest majority of the feedback was that it does work but that it is very, very restrictive. That would never work for us. I told DH that I had regained my brain and was no longer blinded by the stars of six weeks of success but that South Beach was the best way for us to go. Again.

So from now until the end of the year, my focus is going to be on these four goals for each day. If I lose two pounds, great! If I don't gain anything over the holidays, even better! But at least I will be working on putting behavior into place for success. Not quick fix answers.

I'm off to work as soon as I get DH up. I'm not sure how icy our roads are down here. I know that we are sleet covered and its honkin' cold out there (well I was in flip flops and my nightgown). DH is taking me to work. We have the potential of damaging ice beginning at noon and running through tomorrow night. Talk about winter kicking us in the teeth. My DB called twice last night and has convinced us to go buy a generator today. Just in case. I'm paranoid enough to do it - - I suffered this summer when the A/C went out when I thought I could handle it. Not wanting to repeat that with no heat.

I better get scootin'.

to all!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #3  

Smile good morning!

Good morning Terri and all to follow.

Terri, sorry about the weather there. Ours has gone bonkers too. It was 80 yesterday afternoon! Crazy weather. I hope you will be ok, and don't lose power. I have been through that a few times and don't like it much.

I hung in there this weekend and stuck to plan, but all I wanted to do was binge, big time. I wanted to go and sit in the fridge and just EAT! GRRRR! Not that there was anything in there worth falling off the wagon for.

2cute used to have us do the 2X2 challenge too. Sign up to lose two lbs in two weeks. That sounds simple, but I never did! I would say sure, I can do that, not! Or maybe that was Thin, or Terri that came up with that challenge. My memory is not so good.

Well, ladies, I hope you are all having a wonderful day. And, Terri, be careful! Ice can be dangerous! Ta for now.........Ruth
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #4  

Good Morning Ladies!

It's a cold and icy day here in Mid-Mo! We had quite the ice storm Saturday and a lot of houses are still without power. I was one of the lucky ones - we had 1/2 power for most of the morning and then no power for a couple hours...the house got down to about 60 degrees, but then it came back on so all is well. Schools are out and DS is happy!

I'm busy, busy and have to hurry here.

No losses, probably gains, bad food, no exercise and too much stress! I know it's silly to wait and I'm not going to be BAD much, but I think I'm going to look at the new year for a new start! I turn 45 September 5 and I DON'T want to still be obese when that happens. 9 months from now to lose about 40 lbs. I should be able to do that!

Got to run...times a wastin!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:45 AM   #5  

Smile Good morning!

Hello ladies, How are you all this morning?

It looks as if there are very few of us left. What happened to everybody?

Lilion, don't you go running off! I miss your post when you go AWOL.

Terri, and Lilion, how is the ice situation where you are? We had near 80 degrees again yesterday. I don't know what is going on with this weather but it is crazy! Not that I am not enjoying the warmness. I went over to the garage and cleaned out my freezer while the weather is nice, cause it is cold over there when it is not. Found a lot of things I didn't remember having. LOL! Threw out some that had been left too long. I always feel terrible when I have to throw away food. My DH does the shopping and he always buys way to much. There doesn't seem to be any way to stop him.

I am still op and lost another lb. I just hope I can control myself through the rest of the season. I have no plans to attend parties or gatherings of the food varity. Phoooey! Let them be mad at me. LOL!

Well, ladies I hope you find your way back into our thread and post even if you feel like you are not doing well at this point. We just wanna hear from you! Ta for now, Ruth
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #6  

Morning ladies,

We haven't quite had the ice storm that they were prediciting. Looks like the worst went to the north of here. We do have ice and I'm not venturing out in it today. I should be but I'm not. The roads to the city are not bad. Just getting from the house to those roads is not good. They haven't done anything to the road in front of our house and its five miles over to the next major road. Plus I just don't wanna go. I am going to work from home.

Okay, on my first day at working on my four goals, I didn't do so well. I didn't drink any water last night and should have. I didn't exercise and had planned on it. This being cold and dark when I get home is making me lazy at night. Food was okay - not 100% on plan but almost there. Oh and I didn' journal. I can catch that up today.

Ruth, my DH does the grocery shopping too. I am always amazed at what I find in the pantry that is "emergency" food. I'll ask him, did we really need that? No, but he bought it anyway. We occassionally have food drives at work for a jeans day and I'll load up a grocery sack of all his "emergency" food.

Lilion - Hope you still have power today. Work hard girl!

to everyone else!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #7  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

Hello again all. Heather pointed me in this direction since I am a poster from the OLD HENS boards and got lost for a few months. My last post was in July and I've been having bit of a rough go of things as of late. Dear friends recently lost their 26 year old son in October to suicide and it has affected me more than I realize. A mutual friend of ours committed suicide about 4 years ago and we helped each other get through that and now this. My weight loss has taken a back seat to emotional eating and I feel like I can't get it back on track after I was doing so well. I am not selfish by any means and if I could take their pain away I would do it in a minute, only now, I'm feeling like such a failure at this weight thing, I feel guilty that I am not entitled to such feelings while they are in so much pain. I don't know what I am looking for here either, just maybe someone can offer some sound advice which I could always count on when I came here. It's nice to see some familiar people here. Thank you all and God Bless.

Karen
Old 12-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #8  

Morning ladies,

Not much new to say this morning. Its December 12th and already I'm tired of it being dark and cold all the time. I'm tired of that "hibernating" feeling. I want daylight in the evenings!

Karen - It is good to see you back. I am so sorry for your friends. Suicide in a loved one is such a difficult thing to recover from. for you and for them. I think you have to forgive yourself from feeling guilty. You're still you. You'll still have emotions. Come here and vent them so that when you are with your friends, you are free from the guilt. One of the hardest things about someone's death is dealing with the emotions of going on with life. When my dad passed away, I read something that helped me trendously. God intends for us to grieve for a little while for our loved ones, but then we are to turn our focus to the ones that are still with us and get back to the life we are intended to live. I think you can use that for your situation too. By allowing yourself to get back to your life and headed back on the healthy track, you can help them be able to get past this. I hope that doesn't sound too preachy. Another thing I do to help get me out of guilt feelings is try to think through the fact that if I'm feeling down, low, guilty, like a failure or any negative thoughts, then I am turning my focus and attention into myself and am not thinking of others and doing positive things. Again, big hugs to you for being there to help them. Just gotta take care of you too!

I better get the doggies in, fed and me hit the shower for work. No staying home today to work.

to all!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #9  

Smile Good morning all

Hello ladies, top of the morning to you.

Karen, Good to see you back with us. Ditto to everything Terri said. Come here and vent to us. I could write the book on feeling guilty! It just doesn't help us to dwell on things. I hope you feel better soon.

Terri, I am glad the worst of the ice strom passed you by. I was thinking about you and Lilion when I would listen to the weather reports on tv. We probably have some posters that were hit hard in other parts of the country too. We are still having the really warm weather.

I am sitting here trying to decide what to make for lunch today. I think I will just do a Lean Cuisine for myself and chicken pot pie for DH. That and a salad is just right. I made him a peach crisp from some of our peaches we froze this summer. Yummy! too bad I can't have any. Oh well! The numbers on the scale are more important right now. I just want to prove to myself that I can last through the Holidays without pigging out! Wish me luck, cause it is going to be a test of will power. Not something I am well known for.

Hope you are all having a wonderful op day. Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 12-12-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #10  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Good to see you back, Karen! I'm so very sorry to hear about your friends' son. So very young. What a heartbreak it must be. I understand both about the emotional eating and the guilt feelings. But remember that your feelings are very valid, even if others are suffering a tragedy. Your hurt is no less real. I hope you are finding your own way back to a path, and seeing you here tells me that you are. Welcome back!

Ladies, I'd write more, but the e-mail I've been waiting for just hit - my 2 week work schedule just reached it's highest load, BOOM. So I've got to get to it with a focused vengence.

Briefly, eating is good today, outside of skipping breakfast. I'm SO stressed right now that I'm not sleeping well. But I bought my favorite tranquilizer yesterday - book eleven of the series I'm reading. At 3 am when I find myself worrying, a few pages of my story and I can relax and sleep. I have veggies and yogurt close at work, to ward off worse measures. I sure hope the candy/cookies don't make the rounds again today. At least I've limited that intake. I haven't ridden in 10 days, and that doesn't help me any.

The barn people moved up the curfew on how early I have to be out. They're putting up new rules - gee, something to follow before I err and get repromanded. I can SOOOOOO hardly wait to be out of there! But the stress is horrible. I'm even spending money very unwisely lately. Oh, for my 2006 tax return to finally arrive!

back to work.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #11  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and coping ideas. I appreciate it all.

Terri, thank you especially for the words of wisdom to live by. I will keep them close at hand to read regularly. I, too, hate the time change, weather change, etc. I'm in Jersey and it gets so gloomy, even with the holidays fast approaching, the winter blues are always right around the corner. My DH is no help either, he is worse off than I am when it comes to winter...oh well...I guess it makes springtime that much sweeter.

Trying to get back on track with my eating feels like a loosing battle. I know if I can get a day or two under my belt, I will start to feel better and stop lovin' myself with goodies.

What is that empty hole we are all trying to fill anyway??

Hugs and blessings to all!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Well, the cookies made the rounds yesterday. I threw some of the second one away tho, cuz it was making my stomach sick - Thank Goodness! Of course Barb brought Pizza home for dinner again last night, but I didn't go too crazy on that either. Not a great day - Far from the worst. Here's hoping that today will be better - a yogurt & veggie day.

My mother's annual Christmas gift of fruit delivered to us yesterday, and it's the best in years, so plenty of fresh fruit is on the menu, too. For many years she used Harry & David's out of california, & lemme tell you they were ALWAYS awesome. The pears (and I don't normally eat pears) were absolutely heaven! She's used a company locally in FL for the past several years, and they've sent some unthinkable stuff in the past, but not this year. Not quite H & D's, but definately yummy... AND O.P.

So, the new barn. They required (coggins) blood tests and health certificates on my horses to move in there. I spent $300 in vet bills to prove MY horses wouldn't make theirs sick, but they neglected to tell me that two of theirs were already sick, one even on antibiotics. Now, guess who's sick? Gabe has been really snotty for a couple days, and even coughed a couple times. Horses don't cough unless something's wrong. I checked him this morning. They feed at six, and by seven none of my boys had ANY food, so at least I gave them some. But the good news is, Gabe's nose was dry. Hopefully it will stay that way and I won't be calling the vet. I gave them notice last night that I was moving, but that means I'm still there for 30 days. Besides, I have to wait until Gabe is 100% again - I can't very well take a sick horse to somebody elses barn! This whole thing SO stinks.

LILION, I'm with you. Wells Fargo is rotten.

I hope we can all make today one of the good ones for our health. Hang in there and move on ladies!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #13  

Good Morning Ladies!

Hey everyone! I'm so sorry I've been MIA so much lately. Work is just a nightmare and I really don't have time to play anymore.

Food: BAD. 'Nuff said.
Exercise: BAD. Although I did go to Curves for a free trial Tuesday and I'm going tonight. I haven't done the full 30 minutes, and I'm hoping that doing so will make it seem more like a work-out. I don't intend to join, honestly. I more want to do it a few times a week to the end of the year just to get myself back into the habit of exercising. I haven't done it since May.
Stress: SUPERBAD. See above work comment.

Christmas is non-existant at my house right now. I still haven't gotten a tree or a single light up. I hope to do at least the stupid lights tonight or tomorrow and the tree this weekend. I keep thinking, "All that work and it just comes down in two weeks!" How lame is that! I've ALWAYS had a Christmas tree! Even when I was single and childless and living in an apartment, I put up a Christmas tree and decorations! Even when no one but me was EVER going to see them! And now I have a child and house and I don't want to bother - WTH is WRONG with me??? I don't even want to shop! Maybe I can claim my bad Radio Shack experience caused me mental distress? Just kidding, but for some reason I have NO holiday spirit this year. The only reason I'm looking forward to the holiday is I have that whole week off and I need that vacation BAD!

I'm just in such a funk.

Valerie, I'm sorry Gabe is sick! Give the big guy an apple for me! Mmmm! Harry and David! What a great gift!

Terri, How's the weather up there? We had hearings we couldn't hold because Jackson County FSD offices were closed. I slip-slid to work Monday and was one of the lucky ones who didn't lose power long. We still have people here without though!

Ruth, I'm SO proud of you!!! You are just doing SO WELL staying OP! Good for you!!!

Karen, Welcome back! It's really good to have you! Don't feel like a failure - I do too to tell you the truth. I know that a lot of my problems with food at the moment is stress-related and comfort food and I haven't got nearly the reason. I'm so sorry for your friends and you for the senseless loss. So sad! You are completely entitled to your feelings! Don't think for one minute you are not. Hang in there and come back to us for good!

Heather,

Well, I'm officially late for my 8:30 so I have to run. It never ends.

Love you all!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My goodness -- stress abounds!!! This is a time of year I have somewhat LESS stress, as I'm not actively teaching. I actually am busier by far than I usually am this time of year, but by February I'll be dealing with stress demons too.

For all of you with a lot of stress. Please take a second to just take a DEEEEEP breath (and let it out again!!!). Do what you can to take care of yourselves!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #15  

Morning ladies,

I need sunshine. It looks like the frozen tundra looking out my office windows over the trees.

Why is it with family or friends, that if you try to do something good for them moneywise, they have to just keep pushing it? Why aren't they just frickin' grateful for the one thing you did and take care of their responsibilities and just leave you alone??????? I have a nephew that against our better judgment we cosigned a small loan for him to buy his dad's car and for him to establish credit. We had to borrow a certain amount for a certain amount of months in order for it to be reportable to a credit agency for him. He didn't get all of the money and was told he wasn't getting all the money. But then lo and behond, he drives his car into a flooded area and caused $460 worth of damage that he wants to borrow from the extra money. Of course he'll make the extra payments. DH was not happy but what do you say? Then he found a better job in November and called up because he was in a cash flow crunch because he wasn't going to get paid until after Thanksgiving. He wanted $250 to make the payment and get him gas money until his big paycheck. DH was more than livid so my sister bailed me out by loaning him the money. He was supposed to pay it back to her when he got his check. However, I heard that he told her it would be by Christmas so he could have Christmas money. Last night he called on DH's cell phone and I answered (next time I'm NOT) and he wanted to know how he could get to me to sign a payment deferral that he had received from the bank. Again, so he could have Christmas money. I was so stunned and could feel DH ready to implode because we were in the car on the way home from work. My mind just went blank. DH did implode when I told him that the nephew wanted to defer the payment. All I could say was to call the bank to see if they require my signature. If so, he could be screwed anyway because the payment is due on Saturday and usually there is a deadline for those things. I hope he calls DH's cell while DH is out and about today. Nephew was disappointed to learn that he had to pay the interest on the loan and not me. That's two more months payments than he was planning. I told the nephew to go work for his mother on the weekends and build up some cash so that he wouldn't have to borrow money from others again. Do you think he would do that? NO, because he has to practice with his band on the weekends. DH is convinced that he'll not make payments at some point and our credit will be screwed. I tried to help each of these kids but all they want is something from us and never to do anything to help us. Okay, I'm done ranting.

I better get to work.

Last edited by Terri in MO; 12-13-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Closed Thread