Full Bar???

You're on Page 10 of 24
Go to
  • Fullbar - my 2 cents
    Hi,

Just wanted to put in my thoughts. I have been using the Fullbar, but not exactly as directed. When I get a "snack attack" in the middle of the afternoon I will grab one of the bars instead of reaching for a candy bar. I drink some water with it and it fills me up and gets me through the rest of the afternoon. It isn't exactly 1/2 hour before dinner (usually a lot longer), but I think it does help reduce the amount that I eat at dinner. The most important thing for me is that it gets me through the afternoons without reaching for something else, and it's easy to keep at my desk or in my car so I don't have to deal with dealing with something that needs to be kept fresh (like fruit). I don't look at it as my miracle weight loss cure, but it has helped me lose about a pound a week over the past year.

As for the price, I got a GNC gold membership for $15 a year and if I buy the bars during the 1st - 7th of every month, I get 20% off. But I have to remember to buy my supply on those particular days. The bottom line cost will vary based on the cost in your location, but right now I can get mine from drugstore.com and pay about $20 per box (if I buy on the right days), plus get free shipping (if I buy enough - like $49 worth or something).

Unfortunately I still have to do the rest of the work to lose the weight, eat right, exercise, burn more calories than I eat, but this is one tool that helps me do that! I feel so much better than I did 50 pounds ago, so it's worth all of the work, one pound at a time!

Swan
  • I finally tried the Full Bars that I bought last week. I liked the peanut butter, but was not a fan of the cocoa. Not as full as I thought they would make me. I have decided they are not worth the $$. When I get really hungry, I just cut up an apple and spread some Better than Peanut Butter on it. Keeps me full for hours.
  • Quote: If you were to eat something before a meal to stop from over-eating, I recommend (like many already have in this thread) to eat something affordable and something that has the same effect. Maybe it's water, fruit, or a small salad. Whatever it is, you are more likely to be able to afford and keep up with this plan then having to always pay for Full Bars.
    Good points. I use store bought full bars in combinations with less expensive things like Puffed Wheat cereal, metamucil, and oatmeal to help with overall appetite control. I agree that to maintain weight loss, one should look at this as more of a lifestyle change than a diet. An overdependence on the full bar product probably is not a good idea.

But they come in handy sometimes too. I just got back from a five day trip to Seattle where I stayed in hotels the whole time and had to eat out exclusively in restaurants. I stuffed my suitcase with full bars (I was in a rush to pack) and carried them around with me in my jacket inside pockets while I was there. They helped me eat smaller portions of everything that I desired including local favorites like halibut with tartar sauce and clam chowder, yet still maintain my daily goal of 1800-2000 calories.

I don't think it would have been as convenient or as easy for me on this trip had I tried to bring my own homemade ones. This was significant for me because one of my biggest challenges in the past in terms of dieting or maintaining weight loss has been with travelling. I don't travel a lot, but when I do, I tend to overeat and when I get back home I continue to overeat because I've gotten in the habit again. It was pretty exciting for me to be able to pull off my daily calorie goal without too much stress while staying in hotels and eating in restaurants the whole time. I also felt like I was able to fully enjoy my stay and the food without worrying too much about my diet.
  • Here's another alternative fullbar recipe I found online... Someone may have posted this already but since there are 10 pages on this one, it's hard to check them all carefully!

"Fake FullBar" Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    3/4 cup brown rice syrup (from the health food store)
    3/4 cup honey
    1 teaspoon cocoa (optional)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    8 cups puffed wheat cereal (from the health food store)
    Directions:
    Measure your cereal into a large bowl. The bowl needs to be big enough so you can easily mix the syrup into the cereal.
    Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan. The syrup will bubble up a lot, so use a pan that has plenty of room.
    Add the brown rice syrup and honey, (and cocoa if you're using it), bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes.
    Remove from heat. Add vanilla and pour syrup over puffed wheat cereal.
    Mix well. Press into a greased 9X12 inch cake pan.
    Press down on the mixture so it will all stick together. Cover with plastic wrap and cool completely.
    Cut into 24 sqares. Each square will have approximately 147 calories.
    For variety, you can add up to 1 cup of any of the following in place of an equal amount of cereal. Most of these changes will increase the number of calories:
    Raisins or currants
    Dried cranberries and walnuts
    Shredded coconut
    Chopped dates
    Sunflower seeds
    Chopped apples and walnuts or pecans
    Chopped peanuts

(**My own personal note... I just have a hard time when people charge obscene amounts of money for things because they can. When something is a good idea and has the capacity to help people, I find it hard to believe that money can't be made in smaller increments. It seems incredibly blatant in this case, especially since a bag of puffed wheat can be had for a pittance.)
  • What's weird about this is, I found it on the GNC website.

Here: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...167100.2171552

On one tab it says only 180 calories! Then on the next tap where it shows the product information, it says: 480 calories. What gives?
  • I'm trying it!
    Thanks everyone for all your imput. I actually read all 10 pages of this and have decided that I am going to try them I ordered them off the Target website so I'll let you know how they go. Thanks again!

Mellisa
  • Hi all, Newbie here! I have 50 pounds to lose, health problems that prevent me from getting my heart rate too high (long story). Anyway, like everyone else, I feel that I have tried it all. It is likely that my addiction to ephedra for many years caused my health problems so without diet pills, I just gave up and ate. I consider myself to be a binge/compulsive overeater. I decided to try FB and the Aquafull as well. I have not weighed as I am not ready to see that number but at 5'11" I am certain by my clothing that I am at about 220 lbs. I have to say, I am using the FB's and AF as directed. I am also trying to take at least half an hour to consume one. Honestly, this skeptic is pleased so far. I can see a difference in my bloated stomach already going down. I will keep everyone posted and thank you for letting me post.
  • I have about 15 lbs to lose that I can't seem to shake. I've tried these in the last few weeks to help with my hunger. I tried them both as a snack and before a meal. They didn't seem to work very well. I found the South Beach Diet High Protein Bars at Target (5 for about $3) and they work better. I don't know if they have more protein, but I think I need the protein to satisfy my cravings.

BTW, a cheaper way to get the Full Bar is to buy them at CVS (about $1.79-1.99 apiece), save your receipts--I always get the $5 off $25 dollar purchase), and buy them that way.
  • Hi.

I just joined, in order to reply to this topic mostly. I'm a professional dieter at the low end of my weight currently (5 foot 2, 124 lbs). I have weighed as much as 160, and have battled it all my life (now age 44).

Seems to me filling up in order to avoid hunger is counter productive. What we should really do is suck it up, and get used to hunger pangs. They pass. your stomach shrinks (as it also expands when you over eat), and you eventually can be satisfied eating smaller portions without first filling up.

Most of the people I have seen get bariatric surgery are thinner olny for a number of years before they stretch out the "smaller stomach" created for them via the surgery. I only have celebs to refer to, sorry. Doubt I need to name them.

The full bars fill you up, then you eat more for your "meal". Seems to me you'll always need the bars, or something, and your run serious risk of actually enlarging your stomach and feeling even MORE hungry.

Reduce portions, deal with being hungry (your not truly starving, it's just a discomfort that will pass) and eventually you will fill up on much less. I have done this. Not that I don't occasioanly start to over fill, it's still a battle. but it's a great feeling when one slice of toast and 100 cal yougurt fills you up for hours!

Now, when I feel hungry, I let it ride for a while, stop eating as soon as the hunger stops, not when I'm FULL, and am even visually satisfied with much less. The visual thing took a long time, even now I see my portion and think, "that is ALL I need?!" I try to relish it though, that is all I need, cool!

Hunger is a natural part of life, you are supposed to feel it. Use it as an indicator you need to eat a bit, in a while. Use it as an indicator your losing, or maintaining weight. I have learned to love feeling hungry!
  • Purplesky, you said "save your receipts--I always get the $5 off $25 dollar purchase".
    Please explain to me what that means. (I've never shopped at CVS)

Thanks,

Ruth
  • I just had to comment here that I went to the drugstore earlier tonight to pick up a couple things, and saw the individual full bars by the checkout counter. I noticed the protein was only like 6g or something like that. Compared to my protein bars I have one per day of, at 23g of protein, I would think my protein bars would do a better job than this full bar, just cuz protein does so well as stiffling the appetite. Of course I could be wrong, I never tried full bar but well, a full glass of water and protein bar and I'm good for a while personally. I would mention veggies but I'm going for an apples-to-apples (well sorta - bar/for/bar) comparison here. and my protein bars are like 1.50 each so I'd imagine cheaper, maybe.
  • Full Bar is an amazing diet tool
    In response to your question--this is a rather new product and I know when I first heard about it I was skeptical (as always). I do not ever believe in anything. Nothing ever replaces exercise--so for anyone who hates exercise, that is going to leave a bitter taste. But this bar does what it says--I hate water (I know--bad, huh!) so, I have to force myself to drink it all the time anyway, but you do have to drink the water w/it just like it says and do it at least 30 minutes before a meal--in my opinion it would be better to start even 45 minutes before if you are a slow drinker like me. These bars tast great to me--especially if you are used to all the artificially tasting stuff out there. They tast like sugar smacks cereal (only flavored a little of course). Like there is chocolate, apple caramel, peanut butter, etc. Plus, here is the very most important part--most people are not very "diet smart" and end up sabotaging themselves when they are dieting. I hear ladies all of the time bragging about how they are on an all fruit diet or how they are eating Healthy Choice dinners or other frozen "weight lite" dinners. Listen up--wheat bread is bad for you--even if you have been told all your life to switch from white to wheat, it is still bread and it is filling up your "fat pockets" which are the bubbly parts of fat you "see" that you hate. Throw out the bread. Throw out the frozen pre-prepared dinners. Eat salad w/fajita meat and an oil dressing. If that is all you eat, you will be better off. But you will want variety--these bars are actually okay--low sugars for a bar and require you to drink. Okay this is long enough. AIM me if you need more info. Sorry for running on. M.
  • One more quick addition, honeybear says that she is used to the high protein bars and these only have like 6 grams each--I am wondering if you are exercising a whole lot--like weights? If you aren't, then the proteing will make you gain weight or at least make you keep the weight you have at a plateau. Protein only helps you burn weight when you eat it in excess of your fat content when you are lifting weights or doing high volume cardio. Protein is a great thing--do not get me wrong, but if you are eating those protein bars (more than a couple a day) you will see your weight plateau and wonder why--and become extremely discouraged. They are made for body builders.
  • Quote: One more quick addition, honeybear says that she is used to the high protein bars and these only have like 6 grams each--I am wondering if you are exercising a whole lot--like weights? If you aren't, then the proteing will make you gain weight or at least make you keep the weight you have at a plateau. Protein only helps you burn weight when you eat it in excess of your fat content when you are lifting weights or doing high volume cardio. Protein is a great thing--do not get me wrong, but if you are eating those protein bars (more than a couple a day) you will see your weight plateau and wonder why--and become extremely discouraged. They are made for body builders.
    Protein will not make you gain weight. Excess calories will make you gain weight.

Although I rarely eat bars (usually when I'm hiking), there are many bars that are made for non body builders. There are weight gainer formulas but your standard bar isn't a weight gainer formula. Those are generally things that are in excess of 300 calories per serving.
  • Quote: One more quick addition, honeybear says that she is used to the high protein bars and these only have like 6 grams each--I am wondering if you are exercising a whole lot--like weights? If you aren't, then the proteing will make you gain weight or at least make you keep the weight you have at a plateau. Protein only helps you burn weight when you eat it in excess of your fat content when you are lifting weights or doing high volume cardio. Protein is a great thing--do not get me wrong, but if you are eating those protein bars (more than a couple a day) you will see your weight plateau and wonder why--and become extremely discouraged. They are made for body builders.
    Well for someone eating their calories per day and gorging on protein bars sure I can see that. I say gorging cuz I only have one per day personally. And a protein bar is to me like eating a piece of chicken - straight protein, and the more protein you eat the better the satiety effect. Of course we are all different, so this might not be true for some of you, but it works for me. Its all about figuring out what our bodies need and what works for each of us individually.