The Worldly Chicks Are Demented in December

You're on Page 7 of 21
Go to
  • Cee
    Hubby works out of town all week. We are on the cell phone from the time I wake him up until he goes to work. Then, he calls me when he gets off work and we talk until he goes to bed, I go back to bed then lol. We stay close, talk about everything and he always knows what is going on at home. Thank heavens for free Mobil to Mobil and blue tooth headsets lol. We talk on an average of 6 hours a day lol.
  • Hello everyone, Our little town suffered quite a loss this morning.... a plane went down at our little airport pilot and front passenger killed the other two escaped....I know most the people involved.... so sad and again reminds us that you just don't know what a day will bring. Blessings to all of you and stay safe and take good care of you and those you love......
    Peace,
    Nae
  • Oh Nae, how sad for you all. Hug
  • Nae, so very sorry. I live in a small town too and know how much everyone is affected by tragedy.

Big news yesterday! I finally have a date for my knee replacement - Jan. 24. I've been calling weekly and yesterday the nurse said "You've waited long enough" and booked me. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. This means I should be all recovered and in great shape by gardening season. Yippee! Of course it also means I need to really focus on losing some weight and strengthening the legs before then. (For some reason, my body told me to get back to the gym yesterday morning and I did after three month hiatus. I got home at 10, called at 11 and BINGO!)

This morning Claire and I Claire and I have a half ton of gifts to wrap for the local Toy Drive. We're sending Rob and John out to shop with the cash we were given. R & J have no kids and love to shop for toys. They'll be gone for most of the day so there'll be more wrapping tomorrow AFTER my gym class. Knowing overachiever Claire, she'll probably wrap them all tonight!

Yikes! I'm running late for wrapping. Gotta jet.
  • Good morning chicks,

Sorry about the tragedy Rose, good reminder about the preciousness of life. Think I'll go give DH a and maybe I won't yell at quite so many people on the road to work this morning.

Sure am glad we aren't getting hit with that ice that's streaming across the country. We have very large, on the weaker side trees out back between the house and the pool. A good icer would have several of the branches down, probably on the house side of things. Was talking to my sister last night, they are in for another bout. The nephew is delighted - no school BUT she said he doesn't realize that ice/no school can also mean NO POWER - nothing much to do but sit there wrapped in a blanket and practice your tuba boy! I hear you on burying the cables underground Shad - don't know why they don't do that, particularly when they break ground for new developments. But they NEVER listen to our good advice, do they?

Got my test results back from last week. Heart is in decent shape - well good enough to kick up the exercise. Need to start an intensive walking program. Cholesterol is up a bit - but nothing that a regular diet of oatmeal, fish oil and salmon on a regular basis won't fix. Have to loose the equivalent weight of a small classroom of first graders And after avoiding the wagging finger of ALL my doctors for the last 4 years, I have finally scheduled a colonoscopy in January. Not looking forward to THAT tho people who've had it tell me it's not as bad as you think and that you will be out under anesthesia so you can't hear them singing "Blue Moon" as your butt hangs out in the wind

At the last minute the doc asked if I had had a bone density test. I did 3 years ago and it was very good. She said 3 years is a long time, let's do it again. I was about to poo poo it but then agreed because they could do it right there. At the time I had the last one, I was already post menopausal because I went into menopause very early. I was taking hormone replacement therapy at the time (the chief reason was to stave off the rapid bone loss that comes with menopause) and I was faithfully taking my calcium tablets. I went off HRT about 2 years ago - figured I didn't need it any more and with the risks of cancer and heart issues... and I also got off track about the taking the calcium. Well I was stunned when she showed me the graphs after the test. I have lost some height and a substantial amount of bone density. I am just this side of the line between green and yellow warning for osteoporosis. I guess I got a false sense of security - when you are heavier, you are doing a form of weight bearing exercise just walking around. But it was not enough to do me much good. I'm glad I had that test. Now I have to incorporate weight bearing exercise 3 times a week, incorporate more calcium rich foods into the diet as well as not only remember to take the calcium tablets, but now take them 3 times a day. So... the reason I say all of this is just as a reminder to you ladies out there to be just as mindful of your bone health as well as other things.

I used all my time blabbing here. Catch up with you later. Have a good one...
  • happy
    Glad the test came out well. I make sure I eat lots of calcium rich foods and I do take a supplement everyday. Started doing this when I turned 40. No problems in the family in this direction but it never hurts to keep an eye on things. I have a few years before I have to have the other test you were talking about. Hey if I am asleep they can do what they want lol. The mother in law said the test wasn't so bad since she was knocked out lol. I don't have to lose a whole class but a small child is still hanging around that I don't want lol.

Ruth
    Am so glad you are finaly going to get your knee fixed. Have talked to people that had the surgery and they all have said it gave them a new lease on life. I can remember the days when my kids were little. I would shop and shop but never have time to wrap. Christmas eve was putting up the tree and wrapping presents. Remember one morning I was finishing up when they woke up lol.
  • OMGosh Rennie - just saw your avatar - I think I scared the people in the next cubicle when I shrieked with laughter bawhawhawhawhawwww
  • Happy
    About the colonoscopy--it's not as bad as one might think. Be prepared to get a good flush out of the intestines the night before. I gave myself a little pep talk last year after visiting the gyn concerning this very thing.
    We're not out of the woods yet concerning the weather. Our local weather man stated that our area should see snow flurries this week end. I'm not ready for the white stuff.

Reenie
    Your avatar is the cutest I've seen in awhile. Glad you and dh keep in touch. Most don't when away on business trips.
    Mobile to mobile is a good thing. I'm thinking of switching to another wireless
    plan in order to save money.

Nae
    How sad! It does make one stop and think.

Ruth
    Wrapping toys would be a fun thing to do.

I went to Walmart after work last night to finish out my steps. Also did some more Christmas shopping. This morning I've been moving around more. I have 4400 steps.
  • Happy
    So glad I made you laugh. Just tell everyone it is because of the crazy ohio lady lol.

Cee
    There are more to come
  • Morning all,
    Rennie, I too looked at the avatar. Eyesight is obviously not what it used to be so I had to enlarge the picture and then I laughed. Since this office is not in laughing frame of mind at the moment, everyone just stared and asked to share the joke - which naturally I didn't.

Ruth - Well if everyone gets a new lease of life from a knee replacement, then you should be leaping around like a two year old and emulating your friend Claire in achievement!!!!! You already managed to cram more into a day than most people I know. Jan 24 hey - don't we have a birthday in January??? Huh, Huh???? What a birthday present.

Happy - very pleased to hear that the heart at least is in good shape. Now we have to boot the rest of you into shape. Next year is my year for what I call my warrant of fitness - mammogram, pap smear, blood test, sugar tests, cholestrol (yet again) and this time I must fit in a hearing test, eye test (again) etc. My bones are fine - real thick sturdy peasant bones according to my doc. Nice man sometimes.

Ceejay - walking, walking, walking. It really is good for us.

So I wonder how today will pan out. Yesterday started off okay, but deteriorated fairly rapidly. Just one durned thang after another. I was in a fine temper by around 3pm. I think it is very lucky that the resident training team has a permanent job. No one else in their right mind would employ them. One of them was complaining about the training material being wrong - on investigation I find she is using stuff which is 4 versions out of date. Well hello, do you not read any of the stuff I send out to you telling you to update this and that. Do I not make sense or am I just yelling into vacant cyber space. Is there anything between that woman's ears??? Enough

My young friend Shiraz is coming around tonight. He was one of the roosters I mentored at Townsville. I have a chirping smoke alarm and I can't reach the ceiling to change the battery so tall Shiraz (in a long glass???) is coming to help. We will have a glass or two before he goes home as well. He is also coming to celebrate some of Christmas with us since he will be on his own most of the holiday - his folks will be in Tasmania. I just hope I have the right batteries for the darned things.

So I guess that's it from me. I'd better go and see if I can upset the apple cart again today. Can't wait for January 27th. Just like Ruth can't wait for January 24th.
  • Same old same old here. Made sure the house was cleaned, made dinner, cleaned up after dinner, doing laundry. What day is it, week, month year anyway lol.
  • I AM ON THE RUN BUT WILL CATCH UP TOMORROW I THINK. PEOPLE ARE SICK AGAIN AND THE OFFICE IS "LIGHT". HAD A GREAT DAY THOUGH. AT MY OWN FOOD AND DRANK MY WATER AND WENT FOOD SHOPPING. I HAVE BEEN ASSURED THAT MY EXTRA CHECK IS COMNING TO ME TOMORROW. THERE IS A MEETING TONITE. NOT SURE ABOUT NEXT YEAR'S "EXTRAS' WITH THE BUDGET IN SUCH DIRE STRAITS. SO WILL WORRY ABOUT THAT NEXT YEAR.
    TOLD ONE OF THE GIRLS TODAY...IF THERE IS NO CHECK IN MY HANDS BY NEW YEAR'S EVE THEN THE F*CKING KEYS WOULD BE ON HER DESK... AND THEY COULD FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO WORK THE HOLIDAY AND ALL OF NEXT YEAR. SO THEY BETTER COME UP WITH ANOTHER IDEA FOR NEXT YEAR. I FEEL SOOOO EMPOWERED!! AND MY FRIEND STUCK UP FOR ME TOO!!!

I DID NOTICE NAE'S POST WHEN I SIGNED ON...NAE I AM SO VERY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE PLANE CRASH AND THE DEATHS. THINGS LATELY HAVE BEEN SO SAD LEADING UP TO THE HOLIDAY. SENDING MANY HUGS YOUR WAY AND TO THEIR FAMILIES.

OK CHICKIES. GOTTA RUN. LOUIS JUST CALLED. THEY NEED THE OTHER OFFICE.
    SWEET DREAMS AND SEE YOU ALL TOMORROW SOMETIME WHEN I CAN SIT AND READ.
  • Evenin' ladies,

Not sure I'll be able to post tomorrow - trying to get an earlier start to work so I''ll say my howdys now.

Yay Mel - hope that cash in hand shows up tomorrow. Good for you for sticking up for yourself. Even better than you had a mob of friends behind you They need to stop taking advantage of you. Hope you avoid the seasonal sicknesses. I have some extra oranges - will send you some.

Rennie - isn't it funny how one day blends into the next?

Shad - not sure why - perhaps because I can imagine the look on your face but I just cracked up when the team asked you to share the joke and you wouldn't Hmm... you raise a good point about the hearing test. Maybe I should get one too. But then again, I can only take a finite number of things falling apart in one year Is Shiraz your friend's name - I immediately thought of the wine. In fact I think I have a bottle of Yellow Tail (?) Shiraz in the liquor cabinet. It's an Australian label. In fact I think I tried to pawn it off on you but we both liked whites or blushes instead Sounds like the usual chaos at work - grit your teeth and just get through the next 6 weeks, then jump off the sinking ship.

Thanks for the reassurance Ceejay. Hope you don't get any nastiness up your way. I didn't realize you got that flaky stuff so close to here. Sure was a nasty looking boomarang type of weather pattern up north. Looked like much of it turned to rain only from this morning's glance at the radar. I am steeling myself for the possibility that we might not be making our trip to Chicago. That's a good idea about getting some extra steps in by walking around the stores. I could kick myself for not getting outside and taking a walk these last few days when the weather has been warm. Work it too crazy right now though to escape for more than a potty run.

That's great news on the knee Ruth. Would probably be a good idea to gear up for the surgery so that your recuperation is as trouble-free as possible.

Time to get this chick to the roost now. G'night all. Sleep well.
  • Yep - he is called Shiraz - he is South African of Indian descent. Lovely young man. We don't make jokes about Shiraz when he is around.

Would you like a glass of Shiraz, Shiraz? Doesn't go down too well.
  • Happy
    Who am I to complain. I don't have to work outside of the house. The kids are almost grown and there isn't much to do around here. I have a free life lol. I really would love to go back to work if I could find something around here.