Thanksgiving Success!

• OK, reference previous post on the podcast.

I've tried almost everything, I think, lol. After hearing that and having so many friends tell me how much they lost on Atkins (or just low-carb) I decided to give it a go. Thanksgiving was Day 2...and I was anticipating disaster, but instead I found success.

My plate was half filled with veggies, then two slices of turkey, a small roll and about 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes. Instead of reaching for more potatoes when I wasn't full, I loaded back up on the veggies. I did give in after dinner to a small glass of wine and the tiniest piece of pumpkin pie I could get my mother to slice.

I know it wasn't an officially 'lo-carb' meal, but it's a drastic improvement over Thanksgiving's past, where I always said 'But it's a holiday!' and threw my diet to the wind.

• CONGRATS, great job!
  • Woo Hoo For You
    A double dip for ya

WOO HOO FOR YOU!

I too had a very good Thanksgiving. I am feeling very peaceful about where I am at in all of this weight lose.

It is hard to believe but I forgot to tell my DH to pick up a pumpkin pie when I sent him to the grocery store at the last minute so I had none! And, although I missed it a smidgen, even that feeling passed peacefully.

Food and I are friends again. Food is not the foe.

I feel very Zen-like about my relationship with food. Woo Hoo!!
  • Hey! Good choices!

My T-Day went as planned also--we went out, and I brought half the meal home for today. My total cals for the day were right around 1460.

It's all about those kinds of choices--conscious eating! Not eating just because the food is there...

Jay
  • On Thanksgiving I usually just eat what I want but make it a rule that it's just for the ONE day, not the entire weekend/holiday season. It's worked for the past few holiday seasons as I've either lost weight or maintained my weight (not gained). Started off w/fruit & cereal for breakfast. We don't usually eat lunch, we graze on appetizers until dinner. So I brought a whole bunch of veggies & non fat yogurt dip, fruit & some crackers & cheese over to my great aunt's (she hosted). Stuck pretty much to the veggies & fruit though there were a lot of other options. One of my cousins kept making disparaging comments about the food being healthy, but yeah whatever. It's not like I deprived myself of anything, the entire day doesn't have to be a food snarf fest

I had my 2 servings of stuffing (my favorite part) and was too, well stuffed to eat much more than that! Small piece of pumpkin pie for dessert with a bunch of sliced apples and a chocolate covered strawberry for dessert. In the past, I would have had a slice of the apple pie too, but just didn't want it. I notice that since I watch my portions, I fill up much more quickly than I used to. Since I pretty much only eat stuffing once a year & really like it, I did want to go for a 3rd serving, but it just wasn't possible physically. I didn't want that stuffed, feeling almost ill feeling.
  • congrats altari (and everyone!)
    For the first time in several years I didn't pig out on Turkey day. And I'm surprised that I felt full and satisfied. I think I've always associated having a good time, being satisfied, with eating whatever I wanted on special occasions.

I used several helpful hints from folks on this site (pick 1 or 2 things you really want and skip the things that aren't really special food; have what you want, just less of it; plan ahead etc) and after reading about portion size and whole foods for the past few week, I was able to stay on plan (I go between 1400 and 2000 calories per day--mostly whole foods and veggies/fruit) and really enjoy the smaller portions of the things I love: stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, ham, and sweet potato pie.

We are having a second thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and I hope to repeat the good day.
  • You did it!! Way to go that is quite an accomplishment.
  • NYCAggie,

Jay
  • Great job!
  • Oh & I forgot to mention, relatives all noticed weight loss. One even called me "skinny"! Not there yet, but it sure felt good to hear!