Need Extra Protein in the AM

• Do you all know a good protein powder or source I could put in my coffee/tea or mix into oatmeal for ph2 in the AM? not too caloric and not super sugarry
    I asked the NUT at my WLS doc and she tried to sell me a product she sells (wasn't that generous?)

Also I have super low BP and I'm anemic I don't like to take Iron b/c of Throne issues *cough* do any of you all have any good ideas for stuff to take/eat . With the cold weather my bp drops and I get woozy.

Thanks Ladies!
    Kier
  • Have you considered doing something like having eggs with breakfast? Eggs scrambled with a slice of ham would give you protein. I can't think of anything you could put in coffee, but if you really don't want to eat protein-rich food, you might try slogging down a whey protein shake, but those powders tend to be caloric, and by the time you've had the two scoops of whey protein in something like a glass of low fat milk, you're better off with two eggs and a slice of ham calorie-wise.
  • Jumping in, check in with the WLS chick, they have tried them all!
  • thanks for the input! Usually I have 14-24 grams of protein in the AM just with the onset of the cold weather. The eggs aren't really hitting my comfort spot. . .(I start wanting buttered Toast a BIG NO NO)
  • L Already did I am a WLS chick! I just like to get as many opinions as I can!!
  • Don't laugh, but my usual breakfast is a turkey sandwich...one piece of whole grain bread, a little mayo, some dijon mustard, a pile of spinich and a pile of turkey on top of that, open faced. I find that the turkey and spinich really keep me "up" in the morning...sometimes I don't even want my snack which I usually eat 3 hours later (but I force myself..snack is usually fruit)
  • I often add the egg whites that come in a carton to a shake or even oatmeal. They are low cal but high protein (6 grams) without the fat of a whole egg. A quarter cup has the same protein as a whole egg, no fat and is only 30 cals compared to 75 for a whole egg which has 5 grams of fat.
  • Another call me crazy tip here but I put peanut butter in my oatmeal. Oatmeal alone wasn't doing it for me and I seemed to remember someone doing this so I gave it a try. My usual is PB, packet of splenda, cinn. and a splash of SF syrup. Keeps me good and going until snack time! But hey I put PB on darn near anything I eat for breakfast anymore, even the nessa oatmeal bars!
  • KO, do you make your oatmeal with milk? That helps. Love Ruth's suggestion!

I use the Wegman's brand whey protein powder, but I don't know the calories. It doesn't have any sugar. I don't know how your calories play out, but I've found that with 10g of protein for 140 cals, the SBD cereal bars are a great choice. The Oatmeal Raisin one is just divine! Another possibility is to make a shake with Kefir yogurt. It's a drinkable kind of yogurt, thinner than regular yogurt but thicker than milk. It has tons of good probiotics and has a massive amount of protein. When I make my shakes with that and protein powder, I get close to 35g of protein!

As for iron...have you tried SlowFe brand? I have the same problems with anemia and with iron, but SlowFe actually didn't trigger the "throne issues." Other good sources of iron are spinach and raisins, but cooking acidic things in a cast iron pan works really well too! (try tomato-based sauces that simmer for a while) I'm sure there are other iron-rich foods out there...just use www.dogpile.com or Google to search for 'em.