Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Angry WHY am I ALWAYS so COLD?!

I'm posting this in the issues after weight loss forum because I know other people have had the same issue and because this has only been going on for the last two months-ish.

I start shivering, gritting my teeth, putting on more layers of clothes and/or burying my body in a blanket any time the temperature dips below 80 degrees in my apartment. I've decided that my co-workers must like it awfully cold in the office, because I'm permanently wrapped up in a blanket, when in reality, they set the thermostat to 78ish. Sometimes, I get tired of getting cold and I bump it up a few degrees, and they complain that it's ungodly HOT!

I was just informed that it's around 72 degrees outside right now, yet when I walked out, I was shaking, crossing my arms, and getting goosebumps! I thought to myself, "It's going to SUCK riding my bike home in that nippy cold weather!" The guys at work just call me a reptile

So... who else gets cold ALL the time now? Does it ever go away? It isn't anything big, but it IS very annoying.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Don't worry, you aren't alone. Your body will take some time to adjust its thermostat, I hope Right now I'm freezing more than ever.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #3  

Might want to get your thyroid checked.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hey Night,
I am exactly the same way, I am always cold 24 hrs a day. Infact I seriously can not wait until I get my first hot flash, so I can warm up!!!!!! Seriously I am waiting for the day that I am hot, well temperature wise of course I mean!!!! Fyi, Had my thyroid tested and nothing is wrong. I was always cold all my life, but even more so now that I lost weight, I think it is because we lost our insulation sorta if that makes sense, the talo is gone, so of course we are cold. I drink hot tea all day long, my hands and feet are ice cold day in and day out, but when I shiver it is right to the spine brrrr baby I hear ya, it sucks, pile on the sweatshirts and be a snuggle bunny and take hot baths that is the only thing that works, temporarily though....

Can you hear my teeth chattering????? Cuz I am a frozen turd over here too.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I am always cold Movie theatres and grocery stores are particularly brutal. When I go to a restaurant, I try to make sure my seat isn't under a blowing vent. It's been 3 years, and I'm still cold all the time, I don't know if it will get any better. The saddest part - the beach is usually too cold and windy for me, even in the sun.

I usually just carry a sweater with me everywhere I go.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am colder now than I was before, but I went through a 3-4 month period where it was just MISERABLE - shivering, shaking cold, all the time. Thyroid was fine, everything was normally, I was just COLD.

I do dress more warmly now, but I haven't been "OMG get me a blanket before I freeze to death" cold in the last month or two.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I went and bought more thermal tops today because it is the only way I am going to survive I just remember after losing my initial weight of 75 lbs, I got cold but then I got better. Last winter wasn't too bad but I have been freezing for the past couple weeks. It is horrid.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #8  

I also have this problem. One day I went to a website on the "calorie restriction" movement, and it actually listed this *cold sensitivity* as a possible negative side effect. Normally no problem, but it noted that if you got stuck outside in the snow or something.

I am going to have to guess that it is a natural thing due to loss of fat and muscle.

Also how many of us have been big so long maybe we were always hot before but didn't know it.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

Oh gosh you sound exactly like me! anything under 80 and I go into hypothermic shock! I work with all guys so the A/C is constantly on. I have to wear a coat and gloves. Even at home i have to sleep with socks on and once I get warm under a blanket I'm scared to move cuz I feel like I'll never be warm again! I just hate it! The only time I'm warm is when I'm working out or I'm in bed with my husband who puts out body heat like a furnace. He's so lucky!
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Also, Shane, not sure if there is a connection, but my type one DH is very cold natured. He prefers to keep the house much warmer than I like or need, he sleeps with tons of warm blankets, and he can wear long sleeves and long pants in summer (in Va.) - which I could never do. Every other guy I know is the opposite, so I've always chalked it up to diabetes - maybe poor circulation or something. Just a thought. Bundle up!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I am cold as well. Like, right now.

I can't recall what it involved but there is a medical/scientific reason why your core body temperature lowers when you lose weight. The more weight lost usually the colder one gets. My normal body temperature (according to a couple of doctors thermometers) is at 97.2. Brrrrrrrr.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have had trouble with feeling cold for the last 20 years. I first noticed it after losing 30# and even after gaining some back, I have never warmed up. Have had my thyroid checked several times & it's always OK. I am always cold at work and adjust the thermostat up only to have my co-workers turn it back down. Since entering menopause, it's not much better. I get too hot under my many layers at night and throw the covers off, only to wake up later freezing, then start the whole process over again. Very confusing to my husband. I do remember that before I lost weight I never seemed to notice the temp much.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Count me in as one of the freeze-brrrs. I hate it, absolutely hate it. The only time I'm really comfortable is when I'm working out. I think it has to do with having less fat as insulation but also because of the lower calorie intake. Our bodies are using our calories to keep our organs alive and not spending itself to warm up our limbs, which aren't as crucial. I notice that I feel a lot warmer when I eat a lot more, like say, after going overboard on peanut butter or having a nice meal out.
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Charlotte, is it because the metabolism has dropped, is that what you were thinking? Could also be the calorie intake being lower isn't stoking the furnace as much and burning as high. I was going to say to try to increase your muscle mass, bc that is what is supposed to keep you warm (not fat actually). But if Amanda is cold, then that's not the answer, as I know she lifts (and maybe others of you do too).
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #15  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Same problem here. I haven't even lost that many pounds, but I'm always cold no matter what, and more sensitive than before to sudden temperature variations. My thhyroid is alright as well, I have it checked regularly. I don't know if it has to do with the loss of fat or muscle (frankly, given the amount of exercise I used to do before, that is to say nil, I doubt my muscular mass is really lower now than it was then. ).

In any case, yeah, it sucks. Although working out helps a lot. That's actually one of my new methods to keep myself warm, because the electric heater doesn't cut it at all.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote