CALLING all tall girls

You're on Page 12 of 37
Go to
  • Quote: I think the smaller you get the faster you change though!
    Most definitely! I can even squeeze into 10s...but, they aren't ready for public view yet. LOL!
  • Quote: DON'T FEEL BAD! I lost 39 pounds.. I started out as a 14 and now I'm just BARELY a 12. 14's are way too big but 12's are still kinda tight but liveable. So I lost FORTY pounds and only went down a size.. and that 40 pounds brought me from just barely obese to just barely normal weight. I carry all my weight in my stomach, and I lost everywhere else instead up to now, so I didn't change sizes much. I think the smaller you get the faster you change though!
    Tell me about it! I know that at my goal weight of 175, I will be a size 10. While thats fine with me, right now I teeter between 14's and 16's (well mostly 16's). I still have about 75 lbs to lose and it kinda bums me out that it will only result in 3 sizes. But I know that not all tall girls have the same body. My best friend is 6'2 and shes really skinny at around 145-150. I highly doubt I could get my body to that weight as I have lots of curves.
  • Thanks for the advice, shasha! (and funny note..."Sha-Sha" was my nickname when I was a bitty little girl!
  • Hello Ladies,

I'm 5'9 (used to be 5'10 but a compressed spine has made me shorter) and have been a size 6 at 140 and size 10 at 130 and a size 12 at 180. But for me.. it all depends on how in shape I am, and what brand/designer I am wearing. I will always love Calvin Klien? because he always makes his sizes soo much smaller on the tag than they really are.

I wish there was a "Universal Size Chart" that ALL designers and manufacturers were abided to go by. It should be mandatory. Then we would all know our TRUE sizes and not be discouraged when we are a 10 at one store and a 14 at another store!

And what's with this Odd/Even sizing? One rack you are looking sizes 8, 10, 12, 14, 16... the rack beside it.. 9, 11, 13, 15.... What is with that???? And Euro sizes as opposed to USA/Canada Sizing?? And they keep forgetting about China Sizing, Mexico Sizing, Taiwan Sizing... Sorry.. a USA size 12 isn't even CLOSE to a Made In China 12....

OK..off my Size Rant soapbox!! Thanks for the Tall Girls Thread..I am not alone!!!
  • Hi everyone =D

haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm a little behind...

so I'm somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9"...probably a lot closer to 5'9"...and My highest weight was 245...and I was a tight size 20. Now I'm 231 and a slightly looser size 20...lol. I know when I left for college last year thought I was 200 and in a loose size 18, so I'm looking forward to that.

I have no idea what sizes I'll be when I'm smaller. I haven't been anything smaller then like an 18 since freshman year in high school. I just found a pair of my favorite jeans from 7th grade that I had lost and couldn't find ever again...and it was a size 15. I was a juniors 15 in 7th grade...although I have no idea how much i weighed...

That's just depressing. It makes me wonder how different my life would have been if I hadn't always been "the fat girl"...

at my goal weight, I'm HOPING for a size 10, but I don't know how well that will work out because I have huge hips and i'm big boned. I do think I'll have quite the nice hourglass figure though once I can get rid of all this fat that's hiding it...because I have a very long torso..and even now, my bust is like 45 inches...my waist is like 36 inches...and my hips are like 47 inches...and thats with belly fat and all. I'm excited to see what I'm going to look like as a mature woman at a normal BMI....because that is something I have NEVER seen before.

=D
  • Ate soooo good today! And Dr. BF took away my potatoes. He took me for Greek food... so I had Chicken Souvlaki but it comes with a huge order of rice and potatoes. So I got ot eat one potato and I could only finish half the rice because I had a big greek salad before that.

Does any find that being as tall as you are, alot of people don't believe you when you tell them how much you weigh? I carry my weight evenly... I don't gain in any one spot.. just all over. SO when i say i weigh nearly 200lbs... people don't believe me..they think 160 to 170... makes me kinda feel good.

But I am MUCH happier when I am 140 or 150 and they think I weigh 120 to 130....
  • yeah...I know exactly what you mean. people always think I'm lighter then I am...I DON'T see it...to me I look heavier then I am, but I guess no one is good at judging themselves. People always think i'm like 20 lbs lighter then I am...but at the same time, then they're like "why do you think you need to lose so much weight? you don't need to lose 60 more lbs, you need to lose more like 40!"....and that's not what I want. It's really frustrating to try and explain it to people. =/
  • I am 5'11 and find i do carry my weight better than some women, for example my mother is alot shorter than me and while she weighs a lot less than me if you see her she looks bigger, purely because she looks more out of proportion i guess, im not saying all shorter women carry weight badly but i certainly feel that when u are taller the weight is carried alot differently.
  • I found this thread! I can relate so much! Definitely including people telling me there's no way I can weigh what I weigh, and that I carry my weight very well.

I keep an eye on the scale just to make sure that there's a slow continual motion down, but I'm most concerned with clothes. It was _so_ hard to find pants that fit me, especially with my height and my very wide hips -- if something was tall enough, I'd get way too much fabric at the waist -- and I discovered the Houston line of pants at Lane Bryant, and stuck to that line of pants like a security blanket. They fit, they looked good, they were a bootcut. Also, staying in the same line of pants helped me to track better when I've lost a full size.

I must say that the scale and my pants size seem to have little to do with each other. I was wearing a Lane Bryant size 2 (regular 16) at 230 pounds. Then, one month ago, I was wearing a Lane Bryant size 1 (size 14) at 230 pounds. Now those Lane Bryant size one pants are getting looser and looser, and it might not be long before they become too loose for me to wear. Which will force me out into the real world of pants -- no more Lane Bryant for me! I feel both delight and panic at the prospect. I'm afraid of what's out there.
  • Everyone is shocked when I tell them that at my highest weight I was almost 350 and that I am still nearly 300 now. At 294 I am a 22 in pants and an 18/20 in tops. I know people who are 200 and wear 18/20 tops. It's weird. I estimate that when I'm at 200 I'll be in a 12 or 14.
  • Devine Fidelity, I hear you about the people saying.. YOu look fine. You dont' need to lose more weight/that much weight. They are not the ones carrying it around! What I DO find annoying.... the friends who have also put on weight, and DO NOT want YOU to lose it. THey want you to stay overweight and out of shape with them. And when you start to lose weight, they get upset with you. It's happening right now as we speak. **SIgh*** I know I am going to be losing some very dear friends in the near future.

Kimberly.. I totally agree with you. Some people just carry weight better than others no matter how tall or how short they are. My sister is only 4'7 and looks fit and buff at 130lbs. But her bone structure is big and she has wide shoulders and hips. When she gets down to 120 she starts looking skeletal. Her mother (we have same dad) is 5'1 and at 140 looks very hefty. But she has a different skeletal structure and carries the extra weight all around her middle.

Lapelosa.. Sounds like your body is reshaping itself or Lane Bryant is changing their sizing. I used to have a favorite type of Levis. And always fit in a 30. Didn't matter if I went up or down 10lbs..they always fit. Then one day... they wouldn't go up over my butt. ANd I hadn't gained any weight. The store clerk told me they'd changed the sizing. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... THe world of real pants.. that was hilarious btw.

Zanni.. keep up the good work! As for calculating sizes.. remember 10lbs is usually one size. But then again..I've seen 20lbs equal one size depending on label. But usually it is 10lb and you go down a size! Keep up the great work!!

I'm off to my first book signing tomorrow. Not looking forward to being in the public eye at this weight. But I have committed to this. I will do it!
  • I love this thread.

I've now lost over 10 pounds and I'm still in the same size clothes (12's) and my bra size has not changed! Only difference is my pants are fitting lower on my waist.

Not one person has even commented or noticed that I've lost weight. Although last night my boyfriend's hands seemed to linger on my waist as if to say "hmm, didn't there used to be rolls here?"
  • Hotsplashes: I AM afraid of the Real World of Pants! I think my current plan is to wear my current Lane Bryant size 1T until they get to the point where I have to hitch them up, and _then_ I'll go shopping in regular stores and get all judged by pants. If you outshrink Lane Bryant, what's the next size down? I have no idea. What if I'm still too large for a size 12 then? And what if it's just certain size 12s? Am I not really a size 12 unless I fit into the smaller size 12s? Vanity sizing and inconsistent sizing confuses me mightily.

My body was actually reshaping itself -- I was bicycling up hills a lot, and the size 2s got looser on me, so I bought a size 1, which I could barely fit into, then they got looser on me. So apparently now I have a denser body, so that my ideal weight of 190 is actually above what the BMI chart would tell me is my ideal weight.

Congrats on the book signing! What is the book, if I may ask? I have unfulfilled dreams of being a novelist -- it's embarrassing to admit, but I imagine an author photo of me, and I want to look good in an author photo, and be out in the public eye. I want to be glamorous.... Focusing on this aspect of life first.
  • You know... you can buy 14's in regular stores almost everywhere.... >_< I was a 14 and I always shopped in regular stores.
  • I became irrationally attached to the Lane Bryant right fit series of pants, so when I got down to a size one, I just continued to stick to Lane Bryant, out of a sense of security. Especially because I got used to tracking my progress through how pants fit me, and that's harder to do if the sizing is inconsistent. Or maybe not -- if a certain pair get looser on me, that's real progress regardless.